doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cjhusn777 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 01:50 AM
In WW Greener's book, he talks about 4-Bore double ball guns. Secifically he talks about a 4-Bore double with 20 inch barrels, a charge of 12-14 drams and a 1510 grain spherical bullet. I was wondering if any of these Greener 4-Bore ball guns have survived today? I have seen a single 4-Bore ball gun before (not a Greener), but have never seen a double. I'm sure they are out there. Any photos or information would be great. Only looking for photos of double ball guns, not double rifles.

Thank You,

Charlie
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 02:20 AM
Hi Charlie, I have an ad from Gary Herman's Safari Outfitters from July of 1974 that lists a 4 Bore W W Greener double rifle with 22" barrels. It was made for the Maharaj Rana of Dholpur and was cased in its original case with all accessories. It was a top lever hammerless. I saw pictures of the gun and a friend of mine held it. He said it was a ball gun. It was listed at $12,500.00. Just below it is a matching 16 Bore double rifle (also a smooth bore ball gun) made for the same Maharaj Rana. It was listed for $2,850.00. I will try to find the picture of the 4 Bore.
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 02:27 AM
Gary,

Sounds exatcly like what I am looking for, thank you for the info. Would love to see a picture if you end up finding it.

Charlie
Posted By: PM Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 04:01 AM
I have one.
Posted By: PM Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 04:11 AM
24" barrels 21lbs 1885

Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 04:43 AM
PM,

Wow, what a gorgeous gun! Would love to own a beauty like that one day. Thank you very much for the photos. Do you shoot it often?

Charlie
Posted By: PM Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 04:49 AM
From time to time. It's not the sort of gun you take to the range every time for various reasons.
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/29/12 05:22 AM
Yes, I understand. I know it is quite expensive reloading these guns. Thank you agian for sharing the photos.

If anyone else has pictures of their Greener 4-Bore ball guns or of someone elses, please share.

Thank You,

Charlie
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/30/12 06:02 PM
Just thought you guys would enjoy seeing the other end of the spectrum. I picked up a 28bore ball gun that I mentioned in another thread. I'm just working up a blackpowder load for it now but I'll be shooting it for doves this weekend.

https://moritz.homeserver.com/PhotoViewer/album634815994798731250/index.xml

Kinda fun albeit quite a bit smaller than his 4-bore cousin. The 28 bore is 7 pounds 7 ounces with 28" damascus barrels, one flip up sight. I guess technically it'd be a "ball or shot" gun as it'll do either and has no rifling.

Would appreciate learning more about ball guns as they are a rather esoteric area of firearms lore.
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/30/12 09:17 PM
Rookhawk,

Thank you for your post! That is a pretty little gun you have there. While not a 4-Bore, I can still appreciate it for what it is. How many grains of black powder to you plan on using for it?

Charlie
Posted By: Rookhawk Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/31/12 01:52 AM
Hi Charlie,

Given that the gun is built with very robust barrel dimensions, I'm going to load a brass shell to whatever max FFg black powder it will hold and still handle the requisite fibre and card wads topped with a spherical ball on top. 2.4" shell length. I'll probably play with the volume a bit for best pattern but that'll be the plan. If it will kill deer at 35 yards and I can still use it for upland, that will be ideal.
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 08/31/12 11:03 AM
PM.....stunning. Good for you, I'm sure you treasure it.
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 09/08/12 05:23 AM
GaryD007,

Was wondering if you had any luck finding that picture of the Maharaj Rana's 4-Bore?

Thank You,

Charlie
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 09/08/12 12:00 PM
Haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking. I think I had one picture of the gun in its case and one with Roland Hueber holding it. Roland is the guy who sent me the pictures. He is probably THE big bore English double rifle expert.
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 09/20/12 05:29 AM
Hi all,

Found these pictures of this W&C Scott 4-Bore on nitroexpress.com and thought I would share them here.

here is the link to the thread as I wasn't able to upload them off of my computer:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=98692&an=0&page=5#Post98692

Not a Greener, but I believe they said it is ball gun, and it sure is a neat gun. Thought some of you guys here would enjoy it if you haven't seen it already. Was also wondering if anyone knew anything about it? It was up for sale back in 2008 I believe and it sounds like it didn't sell at the time.

Charlie
Posted By: cjhusn777 Re: 4-Bore Greener Photos anyone? - 10/29/20 06:36 PM
Been many years since I originally created this thread and many years since I have posted on here as well. In this thread PM originally posted photos of his Greener 4-bore ball gun. I had them on my computer, but lost everything, including the photos he posted. I have been in correspondence with him, but he also is having a hard time finding them on his computers after all these years and has since sold the gun. Was wondering if any of you gents might have possibly saved them back in the day and would be able to post them here again? It was a 4-Bore Greener hammer gun with back action peninsula locks and a top lever. If anyone has the pics originally posted in the thread he and I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone wants to add any pics of other greener 4, 6, or 8 bore ball guns it would also be great! Thanks again.

Regards,
Charlie
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com