doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 49NORTH Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/27/12 06:08 PM
I am looking for info for reloading brass 10 ga shells with round and conical bullets with black powder and smokelss equivlet.
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 01:24 AM
What is the chamber length and bore diameter of your 10? How much does your 10 weigh? Generally 10 bores regulate with 5 to 8 drams black powder, could go a bit higher, and there are equivalent nitro loads. Can you share some photos of your double?

Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 01:49 AM
The gun is a Greener 10 ga rifled bore sxs,hammerless h/brk with 28 inch bbls,box-lock with 2 leaf express sights.I have not cheched the actuall bore dia yet,Ithink the chamber is about 2 1/4 inches as a 2 1/2 inch brass 10ga shell doesn't fit all the way in. the gun weight is approx 9 lbs.
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 02:28 AM
The gun is fully rifled? The weight would suggest a round ball 5 or 6 dram load. What are the proof marks?
Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 02:41 AM
Both barells are rifled fully,there are very few proff marks but I can see Birmingham black powder proofs , each barell is stamped with a "R" thre is also the number 11 and some unreadable mark over a 12M,there is also the letter "T" beside the proof marks on the right barell,and they are marked WW Greener
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 03:03 AM
My guess is round ball at groove diameter or a couple of thousandths over 2 5/8 case, 5 dram load. 8 dram conical 10 bore rifles weigh in at about 13lbs and Greener was not known for under building his guns. My first thought was a ball and shotgun as the weight is right but it is fully rifled.
Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 03:29 AM
I bought this gun a couple of weeks ago at auction , I thought It was a ball & shot gun, but it has full rifling,damascus barells and is,I think, pre 1900.I have sent an info request to Greener in England but I have not heard back yet. the gun is in such nice shape that once I have it gone over by my favorite smith I want to go out and shoot it. The serial # is 1402 but I have not been able to pin down a date of manufacture yet.It didn't come with any case or accessories , so I'm kind of fumbling in the dark with this.
Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 03:42 AM
I took a couple of pictures butI don't know how to post them, if you pm me a email address I will send them to you.
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 05:05 AM
Sent pm with my address. Is the rifling shallow?
Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 01:37 PM
To me it looks normal but I don't know what it should be, but a guess would be 1/16 inch deep,and nice crisp edges on the lands. I checked my pm and yours didn't make it through.
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 08:22 PM
Some of your photo files were in aspx and I was unable to get them to transfer.

Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 08:37 PM
So what do you think? Is this considered a light bore rifle for ball only? I have read that load info is stamped on th barell but I don't see anything like that.
Posted By: PM Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 09:25 PM
No, load info is not always stamped on the barrels or flats. Wait and see what the ledger page says and get a chamber and bore cast. It may be and early Greener ball and shot meant to compete with Holland's paradox. That would have been made between 1886 and 1901. Or perhaps a light rifle.
Posted By: 49NORTH Re: Loading info for 10 ga bore rifle - 08/28/12 11:16 PM
Thank you for all your help.I sent the request to Greener 2wks ago,if Ido not hear anything by end of next week I will try to phone them.I didn't think that this gun was such an oddball, but that will make it more fun to get up and shooting.

Thanks again;
D'Arcy
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com