doublegunshop.com - home
I want to begin casting for an "invisible rifled" ball & shot gun (not a paradox). What is the proper metal (or lead hardness) to use? Would pure lead be too soft even though velocities will not be very high? Thanks in advance. - K
I'd start off with clip on wheel weights and soften with pure lead as indicated. Wheel weights is what I use for casting for all my older DR's.
15 or 16 to 1 is as hard as most ball and shot or rifled choke guns would use. I would get a 20 to1 commercial mixture to start with. What type of gun are you shooting?
Thanks for the replies. The gun is a Thomas Bland. The rifling is full length as appears as a barely visible three lands with about 1/3 twist for the length of the barrels. Thanks again.
If in doubt, use 20:1 lead/tin and go from there.

Lyman #2 is as hard as I would recommend. Its one of those "all around" good alloys for casting.

20 lbs linotype
25 lbs dead soft lead (cable insulation from around here)
5 lbs of 50:50 bar solder

50 lbs of the stuff last quite a long time, depending on how you shoot.

It also can be "hardened" by heating to about 425 F and then thrown into a 5 gal pail of ice cold water and then frozen in the freezer for a week. That will up the BHN another 5-7 points.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com