doublegunshop.com - home
I completed the build of this double rifle in calibre .303 British, a few years ago. I finally got to take it to South Africa, on a plains-game hunt, two weeks ago. Here are a few of our many pics from that hunt.

Took this nice Eland bull at 225 yards, at 1:00 pm on first day. One shot through left shoulder,
no exit but lungs destroyed and he went down within 30 yards. That's my wife Rosemary beside me.

Took this Grey Duiker at 95 yards at 6:45 am on day three. Bullet clipped off two 1/2" branches, was deflected about 2". Duiker ran into the thick brush. The little Jack Russell is named "Doumpie" and belongs to PH, Barry Vermeulen. It took Doumpie about 30 seconds to find my Duiker, dead as a mackerel, about 25 yards from where I shot him!

We got within 135 yards of this Blue Wildebeest, in the afternoon of day three. He was quartering to us. I hit him just in front of left shoulder and he took off into the brush with the rest of the herd. Doumpie found him, in short order, lying in the tall grass about 60 yards from where I had hit him. He was completely bled out.

This is a very nice Nyala bull that I took on the morning of day four. He was quartering away at 135 yards and one shot on left shoulder did the trick.

A decent, representative Red Hartebeest bull, taken on morning of day six. He was standing broadside at 145 yards. Shot took him on left shoulder and exited on right shoulder. He ran about 60 yards and piled up dead. PH is Louis DuPlessis, a great one!

This is a pretty decent Warthog sow that I took on the afternoon of day six. She was broadside to us at about 120 yards. Shot broke a rib going in, took the top off of the heart, and broke a rib on the exit. She died where she stood.

took this big old Warthog boar as he trotted across the trail in front of us on the afternoon of day seven. I didn't lead him enough and broke his back. A follow-up shot was required to finish him. Really heavy, massive tusks that are well-worn from years of rooting.

Great accommodations, home-cooked meals in liberal quantities, two great PH's, and lots of game. Nitro Safaris out of Kimberley, South Africa.
Nice pictures, and nice to see clean kills. What kind of load were you using? What kind of action did you build the rifle on?
The rifle was built on a Laurona 20 gauge. The load is 43.1 grains of IMR 4350 behind a Hornady 174 grain round nose. I can't say that I was 100% happy with the performance of these bullets. They are very accurate in this rifle but the core and jacket separated completely on the shoulder of that Nyala bull. I'm going to order a few boxes of 180 grain RN from Hawk and see how they shoot in this rifle.
Nice gray duiker and nyala, Ron.

As you know, I, too, like the .303 British, and used a double last month in Namibia. JJ Perodeau had regulated mine for the 215 gr Woodleigh softnose and 44 grains of IMR 4350 to produce about 2125 fps and a superb composite group.

Ammo did not make it with me to Namibia, so I used the rule of 3/4, buying 174 grain Hornady bullets and the nearest equivalent of IMR4350, one of the SomChem powders of which 41 grains game me about 2200 fps with the 174 gr Hornady. Fine composite group and used the iron sights off sticks to take a springbok at just over 100 yards, and then took a trotting old boar warthog at about 35 yards offhand. Both bullets went through and through.

Also tried 150 and 180 grain commercial ammo, hoping to get lucky. The 150 grain was all over the paper. The 180 grain had rounds from both barrels touching, but printed five inches low!

Regards, Tim
Enjoyed the pictures Ron,that Jack Russell is something,bet he is in lots of hunters pic.
How about a couple of the rifle,looks like the perfect size for long walks and sure did the job on the game.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com