doublegunshop.com - home
A farmer gave it to me- looks like a blacksmith made gun- am stripping it for parts, hammer, sear, trigger, sear, etc all there- barrel is 26" with the bottom carrier for the ram-rod--small front bead, straight grip stock with inletted fancy long tang and also steel bp with long spur inletted-- barrel is octagonal for first 12" then goes to round- can see the damascus pattern- BUT NO markings anywhere-cap nipple and plug intact, pin hole clean and clear- barrel is a nominal .625 ID, nom .840 OD, somewhat out of round .090" to .110 wall thickness- any ideas as to gauge?, etc-- Gracias!!
Any chance of some pics. RWTF? There were a lot of "country built" frontloaders made even after they were long obsolete.
The primary reason I've been told is they were cheap to shoot.
Jim
0.625 would be about 19 bore
Yes Jim- after I get it stripped down and cleaned, I'll get some fotos of the parts- the stock is marginal, so my guess is the basic lock works and furniture if someone has a similar one barrel muzzle loader they need parts for- so far, not a single ID mark, but I did find a brass inscribed plate- most likely added later to reinforce the forearm section (one piece stock) near the tapered wedge (think Colt cap and ball pistols here) that allows the barrel group to be removed from the stock- Thanks for asking--RWTF
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com