doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Krakow Kid Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/23/11 05:52 PM
Does anyoneknow of, or can reccommend, a book that deals with percussion rifles with Two Groove rifling and belted roundball or conical projectiles? Even if the book is not completely dedicated to this subject, but has good information regarding such would be appreciated. Many Thanks - Marc
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/23/11 08:06 PM
I'd like to add a further question to Marc's posting: Does anyone know of a maker for molds for these rifles?
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/23/11 10:45 PM
I think the Dallas book, Magnificent Madness, has a bit on the belted ball.
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/23/11 11:44 PM
Thanks, Terry - I might very well need to know the answer to that one as well.
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/24/11 01:21 PM
The early writers Forsyth, Walsh and Greener all deal with the subject to some degree. I know of no recent writing on the subject. I am without my Library here, but as far as I remember, the system began with the Brunswick military rifle. This was used by many through the 1850's The idea was refined in 1852 by James Purdey into the "express train" using a small bore conical bullet propelled by a large powder charge.[4 drams in a .45 cal]. This basic theme was copied by many makers who also made large bore 2 grooves for dangerous game. The ultimate evolution of the 2 groove is the Lancaster "oval bore" produced until the 1930's.

All the best, Mal
Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/24/11 01:25 PM
Oh yeah, It is not too hard to make a belted ball from a regular round ball mold if one has a milling machine, or even a lathe, a grinder and some patience.

Good luck! Mal
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 02/25/11 03:56 PM
Yup, you're spopt on with your information, Mal. It indeed had a military beginning with the Baker and Brunswick rifles. Greener talks a little about it, claiming it was his invention all along. Unsworth devotes a few pages of top-notch information in his book THE EARLY PURDEYS.

Here's another, related question: Besides the belted balls, there were also "winged" bullets, conicals meant to do the same thing only better. If one were to give a mould maker a smaple of one of these (or any other projectile), could he make a mould from that? Kind of an inverse property type of thing(?)
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 03/30/11 03:11 PM
Marc, Ned H. Roberts’s book "The muzzle loading caplock rifle" has great information concerning this and other things. A real good book. You can get a copy at the Track of the Wolf web-site.
Here is the link,

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories...tNum=BOOK-MLCLR
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 04/03/11 03:23 AM
treblig - I actually have that book. Heven't looked at it in at least 10 years. I'll have to go and crack it open again. THANKS!
Posted By: Joel.V Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 04/26/11 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Terry Buffum
I'd like to add a further question to Marc's posting: Does anyone know of a maker for molds for these rifles?

Jeff Tanner makes belted ball moulds at quite reasonable prices, and he may know of a maker of conical ones.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

Regards,
Joel
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Two Groove Rifling/Belted Ball - 09/24/11 02:44 PM
Jeff Tanner made me a very nice Brass Round ball mold,for my rifled NEF 20 bore slug gun.
Makes lovely Blue Whistlers :),very accurate too.
Franc
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com