H&H- Paradox
Lancaster- Colindian
Cogswell and Harrison- Cosmos
Rigby- Ball and Shot?

Are there any others?

Thanks,
Josh
Posted By: SKB Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/09/07 11:54 PM
william evans made some. I have a very nice 12 bore super magnum made up by them. Holland style rachet chokes.
Steve
Posted By: fishdock Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/09/07 11:57 PM
May I ask a not to well informed question seing as the subject of paradox guns has been raised?

What happens when shot is fired through a paradox barrel? Does it spray all over the place? Or is the effect dependent on the size of the shot?

And what is polygon rifling? If there is such a thing.
Posted By: Thurston Howell III Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/10/07 12:35 AM
The idea of the Paradox was to incorporate a full choke with the rifling. When shooting shot you end up with effectively an IC pattern.
Polygon rifling- imagine a bore shaped like an octagonal barrel (though it could be 4,5,6 or whatever sided) but the sides in this bore are twisted into a helix just like conventional rifling. I hope that makes sense, but it's one concept where a picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Dearmer-It would be easier to ask who didn't make a Paradox. It was a very popular item and after the Fosberry patent expired most everybody jumped on the band wagon.
In addition to the ones you mentioned, Bland-Vice Versa, Lang-Afrindia, A&N-Jungle Gun, Jeffery-Shikari, Pape-Rhodesia, Tolley-Ubique to name a few.

Pete
Posted By: fishdock Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/14/07 04:38 PM
Polygon rifling......?

If it's a twisted barrel and not cut rifling in any way, what effect does that have on shot charges? Same as a paradox?
Posted By: doublegunhq Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/20/07 05:41 AM
Simson, Charles Daly (?Sauer)
Posted By: unspellable Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/23/07 11:59 PM
The term "Paradox" is a Holland and Holland trade mark, other makers have different names for the same type of barrel.

There is also such a thing as a "ball" gun. Having true cylinder smooth bores intended to fire a round ball fitted to the bores. I have seen such a gun, a 12 ga double, fitted with rifle sights and stocked like a rifle.

Now days we have slug barrels, often rifled. There is a rumor that Bernardelli made a double barreled slug gun in recent times.
Posted By: David Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 01/24/07 01:48 AM
Dave Weber has (or had) a side-by-side slug gun of European manufacture. He posted pictures of it and a deer he took with it a few years ago.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/05/10 04:19 PM
I have a Thomas Bland marked "Euoplia" for ball and shot engraved on the rib with no engaving on the sideplates as was usual with his guns it"s a 12G hammer SxS 2 3/4 chamber with dolls head lockup, still closes like a vault door that three of my pals used at 40 yds and all 6 slug shots were inside a macdonalds big gulp lid say 5 inchs diameter.
Nice gun, I will never sell it.
Martin
Posted By: Charl Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/06/10 05:50 AM
I have a Jeffery marked 'the Jungle Gun'. The rifling appears to be full lenght of the barrel, almost like raised pitting with a gentle twist. Unfortunately I have yet been able to shoot the gun as the barrels are in good condition, the rest of the gun is in poor condition- stock damaged, and top strap broken at the safety. If is one of my 'project' guns for this year.
Regards,
Charl
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/06/10 09:25 PM
I have seen several Manufrance Robust gun with shotgun bore rifling. Not sure if this was used on their other Models.
Posted By: Tinker Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/07/10 06:31 PM
J&W Tolley did the 'Ubique' line of ball/shot sporting guns.

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/11/10 12:26 AM
I have a Simson (German) 20 bore Paradox type.

Rumor has it Roger Lake may be finishing his Paradox book in the near future?

I am eagerly awaiting it's publishing...Hopefully I can feature it here on site when released.
Posted By: PM Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/11/10 04:53 AM
Rogers Book is due anytime, at least volume 1. There was so much material he split into two volumes. It is going to be a very very good read and reference whether your interested in paradoxes or just double gun history.
Posted By: Phail Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 03/12/10 08:12 PM
David Kirkwood (Boston) made Paradox guns in mid 1880's.
I have a Sidelock drilling 12x12x38.55 Kirkwood with Paradox
rifling.
Reguards
Bill Mcphail
Posted By: Krakow Kid Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 08/24/10 12:33 AM
Surprised, no one mentioned Westley Richards' Faunetta (sp?)
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 08/24/10 02:36 AM
I ordered several copies of Roger Lakes H & H book recently. He said I should expect them in early September. $100 plus shipping directly from him.

Roger's e-mail is morgandhc@aol.com
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 08/25/10 02:31 AM
The Roger Lake/David Baker Paradox book is done and should be available very soon. I reviewed it for Shooting Sportsman magazine
and it's a "keeper."
Posted By: WRF Roger Lake book - 09/19/10 01:39 AM
Got My Paradox book in the mail today!
Posted By: LouM Re: Roger Lake book - 09/19/10 08:34 PM
WRF,
Will you share your source for the Paradox book? I am not finding it when I do a search.
Thanks,
LouM
Posted By: WRF Re: Roger Lake book - 09/20/10 12:30 AM
LouM,

Roger Lake, His email is on this thread a couple of responses above mine.
Posted By: Utah Re: Who made Paradox type guns? - 09/20/10 06:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Surprised, no one mentioned Westley Richards' Faunetta (sp?)

One listed under the "Doubleguns for Sale" heading.
Posted By: Roger Lake Re: Roger Lake book - 09/20/10 08:44 PM
Concerning our book - PARADOX - The story of Col. G.V. Fosbery, Holland & Holland and the Paradox. We have a website: paradox-horsley.com that has all of the ordering information and a few pages of the book. However, the basic ordering information is: Price: $90 plus $5 s/h. (Calif. residents add $8.66, sorry). Please send check or money order to: Roger Lake, 10500 Morgan Territory Rd. Livermore, CA, 94551. (International orders please contact me at morgandhc@aol.com). - Roger
Posted By: LouM Re: Roger Lake book - 09/21/10 12:41 AM
Thanks Roger.
Are you still with GMA or BnB?
Lou M.
Posted By: Roger Lake Re: Roger Lake book - 09/21/10 03:47 PM
Greg Martin Auctions.
Posted By: LouM Re: Roger Lake book - 09/21/10 05:27 PM
I sure miss your guys' previews, and some successful bidding, in SF. The internet just isn't the same.
Lots of good times over the years, but probably bought too much.
Lou M.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com