doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GDavidson 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/19/10 11:43 AM
I just purchased a brass English bullet mold with the only marks on it "JG". It mikes .533 and casts a pointed bullet (slightly rounded at the tip) with one deep groove. The bullet is .8135 in length. I have not cast any bullets so I don't know the weight. I have checked all the books I have and can not find anything similar except the Fauneta bullet, which it looks exactly like. The bullet looks like it would be too light, I will have to cast some when things slow down a bit. Thanks.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/19/10 05:11 PM
From your description I believe you may have a mould for a 'Paradox' bullet. Photographs would be of help if you can manage a couple.

Harry
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/20/10 01:08 AM
Sorry, the mould says Greenfield, London, not JG. Here are some pictures of it:

Posted By: PM Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/20/10 01:28 AM
Interesting mold. Same shape as an LT capped bullet but if it was the same length it would be way heavy. Could you send a casting to Millar? Maybe he could copy it in 20 or 12.
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/20/10 02:06 AM
I will cast some bullets next week after Christmas. I assume you mean John Millar in the Yukon. I am still not sure what it is. I would think it would be rather light, as it is smaller than it appears. It has 4 square indents in the mold right at the base. You can see these in the pictures. I have some cerrosafe and will use that this week to get exact dimensions. Will post pictures of the bullet and measurements this week. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: PM Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/20/10 03:06 AM
Yes JM in Canada but not the Yukon. Maybe I could get you to send me a couple of castings? Capped bullets , because they are hollow are long for their weight in comparison to solid lead bullets even a very wasp wasted paradox. LT capped 20's are not much shorter than a 12 capped bullet. I would expect a 28 to follow suit.

A solid lead 20gauge, the same weight as a 20 LT capped bullet.
Posted By: Tinker Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/20/10 03:16 AM
Definitely a neat mould.
With those four squared detents in the base of the mould, I immediately think of a muzzle loader, with four grooves...

On cerrosafe, don't bother.
It's designed to throw bullets of (whatever diameter, depending on alloy...) a specific diameter.
Try 1/20

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/21/10 02:12 PM
I was going to use the Cerrosafe to get the exact dimensions of the bullet and to see what the casting looks like. I will get some lead castings done after the holidays, plus it is only 13 degrees in my garage!
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/24/10 05:41 PM
Having seen pictures of the mould, I agree with Tinker, it's a muzzle loading bullet for a four groove barrel. There's no way you could load that bullet into a cartridge case, or even breech seat it.

Harry
Posted By: Tinker Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/24/10 09:24 PM
Think 'Jacobs Rifle'

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
...it's a muzzle loading bullet for a four groove barrel. There's no way you could load that bullet into a cartridge case, or even breech seat it

There's a graphic for you on the Jacobs system, which wasn't the only way to fly with keyed bullets, but there you have it.

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/24/10 11:14 PM
Thanks, guys, makes sense but the only thing I can't figure out why the deep grove? The 4 wings are only 1/10th inch wide and the band in front of the grove is just smaller than the wings. Maybe the band in front of the groove is land size and the wings groove size? I still need to get the cerrosafe from my brother to at least cast something so it is easier to measure. Sure is an odd looking bullet. This came in a lot of 10 English molds I just bought, the owner did not know what it was for either.
Posted By: PM Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/25/10 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: GDavidson
This came in a lot of 10 English molds I just bought, the owner did not know what it was for either.

Gary,
Any molds for 10 or 12 bore rifle in that lot?
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/25/10 03:21 AM
Yes, there is a very large brass 12 Bore conical with 3 grease groves and I also have a steel Alex Henry 12 Bore conical with 3 grease groves made for a brass case rifle. No 10 Bores, many .450's and a .577 conical and 3 .500's. None for sale yet. Might have some more coming in next month.
Posted By: Tinker Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/25/10 07:07 AM
Do also get that mould warmed up to operating temperature and cast some bullets out of lead/tin alloy.
That one groove is for grease, just like a proper paradox bullet.

Originally Posted By: GDavidson
I still need to get the cerrosafe from my brother to at least cast something so it is easier to measure...

A cerrosafe casting will likely be misleading.
What's important is what size of bullet it throws in a proper bullet casting alloy.

Is there a 16-bore or 20-bore bullet mould in the pile?

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/25/10 12:17 PM
Hi Tinker, no 16 or 20 bore molds, although I might have some next month, just don't know what is available yet on a bunch I am looking at. I think you are right that it is a grease groove, but Paradox bullets used no grease in the groove, the groove was for displaced lead when the heavy rifling was hit at the end of the barrels. I have shot different 8 Bore rifles and 8 Bore paradox guns and with similar weight of charge, bullet and rifle, the paradox guns seem to have lighter recoil. Neat guns, wish I still had one, can't afford one now! Take care!
Posted By: Tinker Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/26/10 01:58 AM
Gary-

I hear you on the nitro/cordite paradox detail.
This could really be anything, and I suspect it's for a muzzle loading rifle.
That would be a good bit of grease for a ~.56 caliber black powder rifle.

I will look forward to seeing if you come across a 20bore (.625) or a 16bore mould.
One of my 16bore cartridge rifles has groove dimensions closer to 14bore (built for the thin brass case...)

Cheers
Tinker
Posted By: GDavidson Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/26/10 01:20 PM
Tinker, will let you know what is available as soon as I hear from the seller, might be after new years. My brother used to have an Alex Henry 20 bore rifle and I had the next consecutive serial number Henry in .577 3". Both made for the Maharaja of Patiallah in 1874. Sold both of them, dang it! I also had a 16 bore Lancaster double rifle made for the Maharaja of Bulrampoor in 1876, cased with 16 accessories. Sold it too and wished I had it back.
Take care, Gary
Posted By: Tinker Re: 28 Bore Fauneta bullet mold? - 12/26/10 10:50 PM
Thanks Gary-

The smaller bore-rifles are just wonderful.
Two of mine are built relatively light for thin-skinned game, one of them (a 16bore) runs big powder charges and long thin brass cases.
I'll look forward to anything you come up with. Note I've pinged your email account with a note on this topic too.

Cheers
Tinker
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com