doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/09/10 01:31 AM
pretty much have my Demas DR narrowed down caliber wise. it will be either a 7x65R regulated with the Norma 156 gr.
or I will do it in 30-06. the question in 06 is what weight bullet do i regulate with. I am partial to 150gr remington Core lokt for whitetails which is what it will be used fo rmostly. However the occasional black bear and maybe a moose hunt thrown in. anyone have experiece shooting the 06 regulated with 150's and and switching to a heavier load for under 100 yard and getting decent regulation??

I know, rimmed would be best but the 06 has its points of value and i like the cartridge and its cheap to get 06 ammo to practice with since i dont have time to handload.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/09/10 04:14 AM
They'll regulate it for what you want IF they have that ammo available over there. Ask them what's available.
Posted By: PeteM Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/09/10 11:59 AM
If you are putting moose into the mix, I would choose a 180gr Nosler partition for a 30-06.

Pete
Posted By: Brian Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/10/10 12:41 AM
AK Mike,
yes they will doeither 150 or 180 CL PSP. just looking ta whta will give me most versatile.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/10/10 09:11 AM
Personally I'd go for the 180 or better yet a 200 if available. I load Partitions when ever possible for hunting around here.
Since you're unlikely to run into any big brown fuzzy critters in NY state the 150's are plenty for deer sized beasts. I got my first deer with an `06 and Remmy 150's many moons ago.
Posted By: Brian Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/11/10 12:15 AM
AK Mike
I use 150 CL PSP for white tails and they kill very quickly. Just was pondering the utility of regulation at a slightly heavier weight for a lttile more versatility. however, 95% of its use will be on white tails in the NE.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/11/10 03:54 AM
If that works for you down there then keep with it. A 180 will do as much or more but not with as flat of an arc.
I've got a 300 H&H coming in and I hope it's regulated with a 220. We'll see.
Posted By: Brian Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/12/10 01:32 AM
AK Mike,
who is making the 300
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 11/12/10 02:36 AM
It was made by Josef Winkler of Ferlach Austria. Hopefully it'll arrive next monday,,, intact!
Posted By: PeteM Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 12/08/10 11:53 PM
Mike,

I had the chance to view a roomful of Ferlach guns. What magnificent workmanship. Even the mayor was a gunsmith. Hope you post some pictures.

Pete
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 12/09/10 09:05 AM
The rifle came in and it's better than I was told. It was made by Josef Winkler in Ferlach in 1967, 300 H&H the regulation target is in the case and shows 180 grain bullets. It's a hand detachable gold plated workings inside sidelock that extensively engraved. It also came with a Ziess Divari rail mount with claws.

It's a dandy but, I am trying to contact someone in Ferlach to get a fresh set of mainsprings. The RH spring is too weak to be set. It'll go past the intercepting sear but not enough to catch the trigger sear. This spring may be able to be re-tempered but I'd prefer a fresh set. I found out that Herr Winkler has ceased business during this. But I may have a way to get a set..

Another gent here has a Brovnik DR also from Ferlach. He says the engraving on his is the same master engraver as mine. His is from 1968.

I'll try to take some soon and I hope someone will help me post them.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 12/11/10 03:44 AM
Brian,

With the 7x65R, seems you could regulate for the 175 grain bullet and, if it's a Swift A-Frame, be OK for most anything a 30-06 could take. With the rule of 3/4 you are also likely to regulate a 130-140 grain bullet as well using the same powder charge as for the 175 grain bullet (would shoot somewhat higher but that's not necessarily bad if you are shooting at longer range with a lighter bullet).

Best of the Season, Tim
Posted By: montenegrin Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 12/12/10 11:20 PM
Mike,

Great Ferlach DR!

For springs I would contact:

Ferlacher Waffen Präzisionstechnik Prod. GmbH
Maschinenhausgasse 5
A-9170 Ferlach
Austria

Phone +43-4227-2251
Fax +43-4227-3714
E-mail office@ferlacherpraezision.com

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: caliber bullet weight regulation - 12/12/10 11:46 PM
Thank You Jani. I have already found them and I'm working on it!

Their webites is,
http://ferlacherpraezision.com/frame.htm
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com