doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Is it possible? - 03/03/10 04:48 AM
Is there anyone who has tried to rifle set of double shotgun barrels (like the RBL). I realize that they would have to be regulated afterwards.

Has anyone tried it? Anyone know who would do the work?

Always looking for another "project"

Jerry
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Is it possible? - 03/20/10 09:09 PM
What wall thickness were you looking to start out with? If they are .030-.035 and you cut rifling in them will they be thick enough for the first shot? Not that many doubles are thicker than .035 after years of use and a few careful honings. Then you would need to design and make a machine to rifle them. Or you could just sleeve them with rifle barrel blanks or with barrel liners. Most of these reverse engineered projects are a real education of those who start them. Many drop out before they complete their degree or the gun. But it does sound like fun for someone else to try.
Posted By: Gerald A. Mele Re: Is it possible? - 03/21/10 04:44 AM
JuSt thinking... I have a set of LC Smith barrels form a junk gun. THought I might try it and if successful, fit them to one of my other guns.

There is a book (I bought it) about how to rifle a barrel (blackpowder) from Brownells. Looking at it, it might not be that hard to adapt it to a shotgun barrel.

I have too many projects started already, but just thinking. out loud.

Jerry
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Is it possible? - 04/11/10 05:36 PM
Hastings barrel company just went bankrupt and sold assets at auction. I was able to get 12ga rifled barrel blanks. Sometime in the future I'd like to find a suitable action and have the barrels sleeved on and regulated.
Posted By: Dingelfutz Re: Is it possible? - 04/28/10 02:53 PM
I suppose that one could have existing barrels relined, say 12 gauge to 14 or 16 gauge, using muzzle loading barrel blanks that have "slow" round ball twists.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com