doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Caliber choice if you were having a DR built - 11/05/09 03:53 AM
Primary use would be whitetails, black bear and maybe a once in alifetime moose hunt.

9.3x74R
8x57 JRS
30-40 Krag

If you were having a new rifle done.

dont really need the thump of a 9.3 but I know its easier to use a big bullet on smaller game than the other way around.
30-40 still has pretty damn good ballistics and bullet selection if i handload.

8x57 JRS is good one also. the Krag has best trajectory.

I had a 9.3 already and had to sell 10 years ago to finance college tuition.
looking at a Demas. they are nice, more refined thanChapuis which would be my second choice.

30-40 has a lot going for it. I know its kind of on its last legs but ammo is still readily available and ballisticly it holds its own with many other rimmed cases.

Posted By: pod Re: Caliber choice if you were having a DR built - 11/05/09 02:44 PM
i have a 30-40 krag sxs dbl and i am well pleased with it recoil minimal also have 45-70 and 43 spanish prefer the 30-40 for all my hunting not that there is anything wrong with the other calibers. just plain confident in the 30-40 calib. and how it handles.
Posted By: pod Re: Caliber choice if you were having a DR built - 11/05/09 02:45 PM
i have a 30-40 krag sxs dbl and i am well pleased with it recoil minimal also have 45-70 and 43 spanish prefer the 30-40 for all my hunting not that there is anything wrong with the other calibers. just plain confident in the 30-40 calib. and how it handles.
If you ever intend to take it to Europe, Africa or Alaska for Brown Bear, then I would go with the 9.3.

Pete
I vote 9.3mm....you will have to reload to make it economical to shoot.

It's a great caliber and more versatile than the others you mentioned.
Get a 9.3! Just remember there is NO such thing as 'overkill', dead is dead.
For N America it would be 30-06
Aren't there issues with doubles built for rimless cartridges? I've always thought a double rifle regulated for factory .45-70 loads would be very practical. No offence, but the world is full of rifles chambered for the great 30-06 ... I don't think I'd pay to build a new double around that cartridge. On the other hand, it would be tempting to own a double chambered for the 30-06's big brother, the .35 Whelen. TT
Rimmed only. Rimless is just asking for issues. regardlessof the fact it isnt a dangerous game gun.
Brian, I'm old and sentimental and have one rifle for big game---except for the really big---and it's the sweet, soft, old lady 7 X 57. I've never needed a second shot, including moose.
King:

You have been shooting CANADIAN moose. They are kinder, gentler moose. Everyone knows you cannot kill moose with a 7x57, cause it doesnt have a belt, or MAG in its name.

Seriously though, is your rifle a double rifle? What kind, pray tell?

Regards

GKT
I too am very fond of my 7mm Mauser, but, although I'm sure it could do the job if I could, for moose I'd choose (someday, if I'm lucky), the .35 Whelan, .45-70, .33 Winchester, or .30-06. As you can see, I'm all about being prepared, and also all about oldies-but-goodies -- no new "short mags" for me. There are, of course, 100 cartridges that could do the job ... those just happen to be what I have available. TT
I'd use a British cartridge
Posted By: SKB Re: Caliber choice if you were having a DR built - 12/11/09 12:44 PM
for me, a .30 super rimmed, but I have a falling block in that caliber and am slightly biased. It is very similar to a .30-06 as far as ballistics are concerned and it has a nice rim.
Steve
If I were having a British gun built I would go with .300 H&H Flanged. If European, then 7x65R. Either of those would be very versatile. However, you might consider a two barrel set. A 300/375 H&H Flanged set or a 7x65R/9.3x74R set would cover everything in America. The extra barrels will add about 15%+/- to the cost but you'll be set for anything.

I had an idea similar to yours and had a 7x65R/9.3x74R set made up. Instead of getting it made with a bunch of European animals, I ordered it engraved with a Rocky Mountain goat, a Roosevelt elk, and a Columbia Blacktail deer, i.e. USA animals. The 7x65R barrels are fitted with a removable scope. The 9.3x74R barrels have a flip up "moon" sight. The same theme could be applied to a 300/375 set.

I would have to go with 577/450 Martini for a double rifle.

Just for the shear pleasure of owing one.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com