doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PeteM 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 04:41 PM
I purchased a beater 12ga M51 Husqvarna from Ken for this project.
http://www.kebcollc.com/

RD Show, a member here, did the actual conversion.

The scope is Redfield Widefield 2-7 that I purchased unused.

4 shots during the barrel regulation.

Unfortunately, during the conversion Rich found the stock was cracked:

So, I sent the gun off to Dan May to be restocked. Here is the result.

Dan has more pictures up on his website:
http://www.classicgunstocks.com/Husqvarna_45-70.html

Next stop is the range, then on for some Russian boar.

Pete
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 05:56 PM
Pete what did the conversion sans stock cost if you don't mind? I have just bought a cape gun that I want to convert to double rifle. Sauer cape gun in 16ga and 11mm.

Shotgun barrel is too thin. I only paid $200 for it. With the sights already on the rib it should lessen the work.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 06:16 PM
Very attractive and superbly accurate. You must have great eyesight to get groups from iron sights like that one.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 06:20 PM
Me, I would have used the scope.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 06:20 PM
Me, I would have used the scope.
Posted By: PeteM Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 07:15 PM
That was RD Show shooting with iron sights, not me. I prefer a scope.

Well, the costs..... I paid Ken $250 for the gun. I was going to simply use the barrels, as I have M51 12ga. However, only a 3 year difference according to the serial number list and there was no way that the barrels would interchange. I don't remember the exact price of the conversion, but I believe it was around $1,300 or so. I am not sure if Rich is still working on guns.

Really think hard about doing any conversion. I am still not sure if I would do it again. Dan's stock really helps the gun. Rich and I spoke for hours about the proper choice. I really like the 45-70, so it was matter of finding a proper loading.

Pete
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 07:31 PM
Anyone know of someone that does this? I need contact info. I'd have paid the $1300.
Posted By: eightbore Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 09/30/09 09:52 PM
Pete, are you planning to fill in the shimmed areas on the through lug for better accuracy?
Posted By: Rd Show Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 01:37 AM
The stock looks great Pete but i believe that particular group was shot using the scope thanks again. Rich
Posted By: PeteM Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 10:53 AM
Rich, thanks I assumed the iron sights. My mistake. I am glad you approve the stock. It will be heading to Michigan soon. I want to see how one of Ted Nugent's boars like it.

Bill, why fix it if it's not broke? I am more than happy with accuracy as it stands.

Pete
Posted By: Rd Show Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 11:54 AM
The areas on the underlugs were tig welded and and put back on face. Rich
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 12:15 PM
Rich did you receive my PM?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 02:27 PM
Rich, are you still doing this kind of work?

thanks,

Rob
Posted By: Rd Show Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 02:49 PM
Mike, I sent you a email.

Rob, I have become diabled, Lost partial use of my right hand and have had several opperations, Time will determine if i get back into building again.

For those interested http://static.pbsrc.com/flash/rss_slides...show%2Ffeed.rss

Regards Rich
Posted By: PeteM Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/01/09 03:40 PM
There is one other gunsmith who was doing conversions. Haven't spoken to him in over a year.

Robert Hynden
roberthynden@yahoo.com

Pete
Posted By: battle Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/06/09 01:34 AM
Mike brought up having a cape gun converted. Can this be done to just the shotgun barrel? Who and how much would something like that cost?
Posted By: Rd Show Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/06/09 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: battle
Mike brought up having a cape gun converted. Can this be done to just the shotgun barrel? Who and how much would something like that cost?

Mike the problem with converting a cape gun is the different size in the barrels at the chamber area. They can not be sleeved. The left barrel can be removed from the underlugs and a new barrel installed, however sometimes the balls on the standing breech can be different, also the location of the firing pins can be different. You would also need new ribs, sights, forearm, and then the question is can you get a reamer without having a custom one ground these are just a few of the things that would make it costly. Also sometimes the ribs are brazed instead of soldered. Enjoy your cape gun and persue other avenues. Regards Rich
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 10/06/09 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info Rich and best wishes for your recovery.

Rob
Posted By: Tall Chief Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 11/25/09 10:55 PM
Rich,
I will be happy to get in line for one of those conversions.I am new to the link, and Have been thinking about obtaining a double for a while, and could not find anyone able or realistic in price to do the work.Thanks, FredW
Posted By: Roy Australia Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 06/01/11 11:32 PM
Wow - that came up great. I hadn't considered cutting a thread like that into the breech of the gun. I was going to braise the transition/interference fit tube to the inside of the barrel. But this has given me something to think about. Could use a meatier barrel and nitro loads as opposed to black powder. mmmmmm
Posted By: PeteM Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 06/02/11 04:15 AM
Roy,

While this is technically sleeving, it follows Pieper's monobloc patent. Of course you don't end up with a monobloc... The advantage, as you have recognized, is increased strength in the chamber area. Like your Greener, the Husqvarna has a greener cross bolt, which gives me some comfort.

Rich and I went round for weeks about the cartridge. I finally decided after a long call to IMR powders. I use 3031 in other guns, so I always have a supply around.

The final load develops a bit more pressure than the 45-70 trapdoor load, but does not have the recoil of an all out 45-70 load. It is very close to the handloads I use in my 45-70 Marlin lever action. So in effect, when I load for 1, I can use the loads in either gun. Something I like.

The 45-70 is easy to reload here. Components are plentiful and inexpensive. The large caliber makes for a great boar gun. Solid hit to the lungs and they drop. In a couple of years, I will have enough points for a Wisconsin black bear license. The double gun will get a work out on that hunt.

Pete
Posted By: big al1 Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 06/03/11 03:47 AM
I am looking for Mr.Show or someone to do an double barrel 12ga. sluggun,can anyone help me?If so would they please post.
Posted By: danross70 Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 06/12/11 02:21 PM
Try Del Whitman, 231.275.0140. Del did double rifle barrel regulation at Rigby, in California when he worked there and has done at least one set of barrels I know of, for a Lefever action, in 45-70.
Posted By: Franchi Re: 45-70 sxs conversion - 08/15/11 02:53 PM
Hello Mr.Snow:

That was great work! Thanks for the slide show.

Where in Pa. do you reside?

Speedy recovery,

Franchi
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com