doublegunshop.com - home
I've just bought a Winchester Grand European in 7x64 and it has been drilled and tapped already. No mounts come with it and I can't find anyone that offers them. Anyone have a lead? Thanks
Mike, this one is still cased and comes with rings & mounts so I imagine they were factory d&t'd.

Grand European
from what i have seen it's 2 piece unit most likely made by era.....
new england custom gun in nh offers limited selection of items from this german outfit. other then finding spare set which seems unlikely that's the best place to ask about such product.
I had one for a while years ago. The mounts were quick detachables made by EAW and were part of the package as sold by Winchester. They worked well. Yours must have gotten lost along the way.

As already suggested, New England Custom Gun would probably be a good contact for the EAW mounts. Champlin Arms is familiar with the Winchester Grand Europeans and is also a good source of information, or was in the past, at least. The gunsmith there is experienced in working on them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Need scope mounts for Wichester Grand European - 06/25/09 06:44 PM
The mounts are EAW copies and not made by EAW. This is per New England Custom Gun and one other source, that I don't remember who.
NECG claimed that one in ten of the EAW rings might fit the Winchester bases, but it would be dumb luck to get that the first try.
I tried a set of rings that Jeff,s Outfitters had, but they didn't come close to fitting a 7x57mm that I'd bought that was missing it's rings.
NECG can install a set of EAW mounts and rings, but were talking mucho dinero.
Mike, when you say the rifle is "drilled and tapped", I assume that the bases are missing as well.
Some of the Grand Europeans were made and sold without any bases and rings and also not drilled and tapped. I know because I have one of these in 9.3x74R. They were probably only those made for the European market.
Given the 7X64 that you have, it may have been one of these and someone had it drilled and tapped for a completely different mount than the EAW copies.
A good gunsmith could fit a set of Leupold Quick Detachable mounts for the rifle and they are as good, if not better than the EAW mounts. Not as complex, but every bit as sturdy.
Thanks Mike. It should be here by next month. We'll see what is going on with it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com