doublegunshop.com - home
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123468333
I am here to learn, but was hoping someone else was going to ask...
So what is wrong with those sights? Should they be a shallow V?
Is there a "best" design? I am just wondering, so I don't make a horrible mistake someday. The day after I win the lottery. :-)
Lou M
I agree with Mark. It's a German thing apparently, although the current Heyms have a correct wide, shallow V. The U notch isn't an express sight, and I don't see much use for it on a double. Also, the folding leaves should lie perfectly flat so they don't snag and get pulled up when they're not wanted. Poor design in my view.

Looks like Merkel has gone from using shoe-lump barrels on their previous rifles to mono-bloc on the new ejector models. Sad.
i had modern german sporter with excellent setup consisting of 50m standing, 100m, 150m folders plus highly visible front cylindrical affair with white filler. they were furnished to the maker by recknagel.
We're discussing express sights. The sights on this Merkel look to me like they were supplied by Recknagel also. They're certainly typical of that make, and can't be considered express sights.
From NECG, now you just need the proper file. I think one of the jewelry suppliers makes a shallow file.

that is what kimber uses on their .375s and .458lotts. if one gets the .458 bench recoil sled is a must that way one can fire it w/o taking it on shoulder and jaw. i suppose to do it right one would have to take recoil energy of 500grains starting out at 2300ft/sec on the shoulder. can you imagine taking that pumishment on your body? thank god for 2.5x leupold.
ps. at least that german gun came with target certificate indicating it was sighted in to shoot vollmantel slug of certain weight and make.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com