doublegunshop.com - home
anyone know what the working pressures of this ammo is?
Brian,

Go to:
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

They have pressures for the .405 with their loads.
37,000 PSI to 44,900 PSI with 400grn bullet.

Pete
Brian,

What do you have (or want to have) that's chambered for .405?

Rob
Just have some idle time in the evenings and going over a possible project gun in my head.
Maybe a double rifle in 405 WIN. what do you think. ?? I have a couple of BLNE Spanish 20 Ga's that have bushed strikers and Greener corssbolts. Have to do some other measuirng but may be just the ticket.
I've seen a couple of Belgian doubles in .405; can't remember the make (If I even saw it). They were definitely prewar. I've fired a friend's Ruger #1 .405. Not bad at all; nothing like the felt recoil I remember from a Win 1885 with the "frog gig" crescent buttplate.

The only guy I know who makes double rifles from double shotguns uses Turkish DeHaan (or CZ if you prefer) actions. He prefers not to use customer-supplied actions. Says he will do just about any rimmed ctg. and would consider trying a Cape Gun. Prices start at $4500 (guess I'll look at that Ruger again....).
I had a Belgian double rifle (G. Schraff, if I recall correctly) some years ago. It was very lightweight - approximately 7-1/2 pounds. Even with a soft pad, I got the living daylights kicked out of me each time I fired it. It was more rifle than I was man. In addition, using factory .405 Winchester loads (don't ask what they cost then, this was before Hornady began making them), it shot about 18 inches apart at 50 yards. Heavier handloads with Hawk bullets got that down to about 8 inches, but the gun was either not regulated or regulated for something else and I eventually moved it on, via one of Pete Harvey's auctions. Last I heard, it was accompanying fishermen along the Alaska streams, where a big thump at very close range was necessary when the really hairy fisherman sharing the stream decided not to share anymore. I made a little money on it, but was glad to see it gone.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com