doublegunshop.com - home
I tried to pull up the original thread with all of the other photos but I can't find it. I bought this 450-400 2 3/8" BPE rifle last year knowing that it had a hammer with a broken spur. Claudio, a board member here, offered to fix and recase it for me. He sent me a photo of the finished hammers today.

They look awesome. I'll add a before photo later if anyone would like to guess at which one was broken.

The rifle is at a stocker having the stock refinished. As soon as it comes back I'll have to take it to the range. Great job Claudio!!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/20/09 08:10 PM
His work is impeccable.
Posted By: SKB Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/21/09 12:35 PM
Top Notch work....thanks for sharing.
Steve
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/21/09 12:48 PM
What Claudio started with.

Posted By: Sliver Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/22/09 08:50 PM
Mike, it's the R (pictured R). But not because I can see it on the fixed one...
Posted By: Geno Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/23/09 03:46 PM
One that with much blue color on it and you know why? Because originally maker attached one hammer to another (as shields), when case coloring them
Any way fixed hammer looks great!
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/23/09 03:52 PM
Geno they were both recased.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/23/09 08:37 PM
Mike,

Very nice.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Brian Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/27/09 12:19 PM
tell me more. I have been looking for a 450-400.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/27/09 12:28 PM
Brian what would you like to know? Some of these photos aren't mine and some of the photos have been reversed. The broken hammer was the one that goes on the right side of the rifle.

Posted By: Brian Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/31/09 07:49 PM
Nice. how about a few more pics and some specs. I cant read the maker. How does it shoot?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 01/31/09 08:15 PM
Brian the maker is Alexander Henry. I have only shot it 4 times. That was all that I wished to push the already cracked stock but, I had to test it before I sent pieces to the stocker, the barrel browner and Claudio. Claudio's hammerwork is so good I will now have to have it recased also.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 02/01/09 03:15 PM
Full view.

Mike, the browning looks great, as does the hammer repair. Instead of a re-case, how about just backing the color of the new cc on the hammers back with steel wool til they they match the rest of the gun. You can also darken them a bit if necessary with cautious use of cold blue. The 30% or so original cc you have looks very fine! The 450/400 2-3/8 is one of my favorite cartriges mostly as the rifles made for it are usualy so light and handy.
All the best, Mal
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 02/01/09 07:47 PM
Mal the barrels are the before new browning. I haven't received them back yet. With everything being redone except the action I might as well redo it also.
Posted By: Geno Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 02/02/09 11:04 AM
I'd vote for recase coloring and then backing for no more, than 5% Nice DR.
Posted By: Brian Re: A. Henry hammer repair is finished! - 02/07/09 10:01 AM
Dang thats nice. I have a 500/450 WR #2 Musket chambered Wm Moore & Grey that I bet is about the same svelt size as that one. They sure are sexy.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com