doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: builder Manufrance Ideal Grade 6 - 03/21/23 11:52 AM
A beauty on gunrunner auctions selling tonight. I would bid but I already have one. Good luck to you.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Manufrance Ideal Grade 6 - 03/21/23 03:50 PM
I looked at it already and while there are some problems, it looks like a good candidate if the price stays sensible. However, it did strike me that the likely orginal wood seemed awfully plain for a grade 6. Mornetas's dating would put that gun in the 1925 to 1928 era.
Posted By: GLS Re: Manufrance Ideal Grade 6 - 03/21/23 07:23 PM
I have much better wood (photo below) on a '30's era Robust 226 which isn't bottom grade, but no where near the top grade. Gil
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Manufrance Ideal Grade 6 - 03/23/23 07:51 PM
i suspect the gun has been restocked....never seen an ideal with a pistol grip stock - typically the french version of the half-pistol, or prince-of-wales....and i think i see a long bottom tang - which would indicate a straight grip stock originally.

and top strap inletting is good, but not great....might explain why wood does not look appropriate for a 6.

and cleared $2250....

best regards,
tom
Posted By: canvasback Re: Manufrance Ideal Grade 6 - 03/23/23 10:02 PM
One more clue to it's grade would be the barrel's markings from MF Very unlikely a grade 6 would have anything but 5 wreath (laurels really) stamped. Additionally, I can't remember seeing a Grade six that was extractor, like this gun. More typically they are ejectors at that level.

I tend to agree about the restock but it it has been done, it's a pretty plain piece of wood that got picked.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com