doublegunshop.com - home
This case was fitted for a gun at one point but it appears that the interior and partitions were stripped of their felt lining. The interior dimensions are 30X 6-1/2X 2-1/2" Outer dimensions are 31-1/2X 7-3/4 X 3-3/4". Construction is solid walnut with sturdy dovetailed corners. It has a mother of pearl inlay around the keyhole. There is no key. $250 plus shipping.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tBZYCxN
Do you know what species of walnut this fine case is made of ?
The dovetails look compromised. Are they still tight? Glue intact? Must be old hide glue.
Still tight. If hide glue it's easy to remove and reset.
Originally Posted by susjwp
The dovetails look compromised. Are they still tight? Glue intact? Must be old hide glue.

Maybe his vision is fading....case looks home made to me.
From the picture I see, that is not a dovetail joint it is a box joint. A dovetail joint looks like a dove's tail. A box joint will become loose whereas a dove tail will stay tighter. Regardless still a nice old case.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The tails do taper. It is a dovetail joint. Looks to be black walnut. We call that a rustic case around here. Nothing the matter with it, just a bit less than extreme quality high skilled joinery. Looks handmade and perhaps was a copy of a very old case. Splitting the small tail could have been avoided with a bit of a different layout. It has stood up until now but I try not to make such paper thin areas.
Thanks Jon, from the first picture it didn't look like a dovetail joint, but in yours you can clearly see it is.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com