doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rwmckee way way way OT but need help - 03/02/24 04:57 PM
Anybody know how to remove a Vaver receiver sight from a model 70? tried on accuratereloading and nobody even knew what i was talking about. made in 2 parts - base screws to rifle and sight with dial screws to base but you have to remove the dial to get to the screws holding the base to the rifle. the dial has 2 tiny set screws but removing them seems to accomplish nothing. i thought maybe the dial would come off at that point.

nothing useful at all on the web but pictures of the various sights on various rifles.

Roger
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/02/24 08:04 PM
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=502287
Posted By: eightbore Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/02/24 09:55 PM
To each his own, but I wouldn't want to remove it.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/03/24 04:20 AM
Ken Nelson - thanks, had already seen that. doesn't work.
eightbore - you would if you wanted to use a scope on the G&H side mount that's on the gun.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/03/24 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by rwmckee
Anybody know how to remove a Vaver receiver sight from a model 70? tried on accuratereloading and nobody even knew what i was talking about. made in 2 parts - base screws to rifle and sight with dial screws to base but you have to remove the dial to get to the screws holding the base to the rifle. the dial has 2 tiny set screws but removing them seems to accomplish nothing. i thought maybe the dial would come off at that point.

nothing useful at all on the web but pictures of the various sights on various rifles.

Roger
Originally Posted by rwmckee
Roger

Do I understand things correctly, that after removing the set screws that the dial won’t come off? It should, you might want to put a drop of penetrating oil in the set screw holes.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/03/24 04:36 PM
My pre '64 Winchester model 70 in .308 came with Weaver bases and I couldn't get them off either. My solution was to install Weaver rings and an El Paso Weaver K-4 scope...Geo
Posted By: John Roberts Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/03/24 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
My pre '64 Winchester model 70 in .308 came with Weaver bases and I couldn't get them off either. My solution was to install Weaver rings and an El Paso Weaver K-4 scope...Geo
Nice story, George. Any other anecdotal fluff you want to relate that does nothing to help with the op's question? Come on, man...
JR
Posted By: rwmckee Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/03/24 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern

Vaver peep sight. nothing to do with weaver or scope bases. I can spell.

And physdoc, yes, you're correct. after removing the set screws it didn't budge. I'm betting it should have. I'll try penetrating oil. thanks.

Roger
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: way way way OT but need help - 03/16/24 02:00 AM
PM sent
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com