doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eightbore Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 02:11 PM
Is there a gunsmith out there who can build a pair of Selous fitted stock plates? Thanks for any suggestions.
Posted By: SKB Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 02:14 PM
I have two Selous plated Gibbs rifles in the shop currently. These were put on when new to prevent a break, not as a repair as many people think. A huge job and I cannot think of a stockmaker who would take that on. Good luck!
Posted By: rwarren Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 02:55 PM
Interesting! I knew of stock plates but didn’t know they had a name. I looked it up and Hollowell and Co. shows a picture of a gun with them. But, says they don’t necessarily offer them.
Bob
Posted By: eightbore Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 05:25 PM
I have seen Selous plates that looked like they have very complicated angles and curves. The pictures of the gun on Hollowell's site look like I could make them, and I can't bake a cake. I wish to make them more for a repair than decorative, it looks like you just use thicker metal and more screws. My gun is a straight grip Parker shotgun so it shouldn't have as many curves as a pistol grip gun. I am looking for more ideas and information from someone who has done it or had it done. Thanks.
Posted By: SKB Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 08:18 PM
We have far better(stronger, less time consuming, better looking) methods of repairing broken stocks these days than a strengthening plate. I have used hardwood dowels, fillets and carbon fiber rods internally to repair bad breaks. You might try Dennis Earl Smith, he is the best at stock repair working today in America.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 08:28 PM
I am willing to try anything short of a $4500 restock. I want to shoot the gun, not sell it. It is out for a simple mechanical repair now. I will ask for more advice when it returns.
Posted By: SKB Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 09:21 PM
Send pics and call Dennis, he works magic at times. I would never quote his prices but complex repairs can be costly.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/25/23 10:51 PM
I had the occasion to remove a pair of stock plates many years ago, with the idea of repairing the broken stock. They had been in place many years and most of the screw holes had varying amounts of rot, seemingly caused by oil creeping into them. I did the best I could with epoxy, but in the end I reinstalled the stock plates as the best solution, looks wise. If your purpose is to repair a broken stock, I submit you would be best served to accept SKB's advice and have it repaired by someone that specializes in that work.
Mike
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/26/23 03:01 PM
This guy looks competent.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: eightbore Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/26/23 03:12 PM
Daryl, that's just the result I am looking for. "I think I can do that."
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/26/23 03:15 PM
eightbore, I added a third picture for your guidance.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/26/23 07:55 PM
I love the serial number.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/26/23 08:43 PM
Yeah, looks like 1776 but is actually 4776. Neat.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Selous Fitted Stock Plates - 04/27/23 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by eightbore
Yeah, looks like 1776 but is actually 4776. Neat.

I didn't look close enough on my phone. An amazing and beautiful gun, regardless.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com