doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gunny need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 02:35 AM
I used Laurel mt rust blue solution and got a coat of copper on the barrels. What is this and why did it happen? should I continue or stop ? how can i remove the copper if I have to.
I don't have the instructions
Posted By: keith Re: need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 05:48 AM
Laurel Mountain, like many rust blue formulas, contains copper sulfate. One function of it is some light immediate bluish staining that helps you to see that you have applied an even coat without missing any spots. It will sometimes "plate out" a very thin wash of copper if you apply too much to the surface of the steel, or work it back and forth. You only need to apply very thin even coating with a lightly dampened applicator to get decent rusting. In fact, Laurel Mountain is somewhat agressive, and you may wish to dilute it with distilled or rain water so that it doesn't bite so much, especially in more warm and humid conditions. It may take more passes to get the depth of color you want, but the rust will have a finer grain, and you won't get so much of a matte finish. With a more aggressive rusting solution, you also will want to be careful to not let the rusting go on too long befor boiling and carding.

I don't know how much your solution has plated out, and if it will result in an uneven rusting if you continue. At this point, it may be easier to just polish it off and start over. Or you could continue on with a smaller part, and see how it goes.
Posted By: damascus Re: need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 09:45 AM
Well gunny this is a classic error. You have used too much of the solution in your haste to get things done, you should only have the application cloth/sponge just moistened you have had the barrel ruining in the solution allowing the Copper Sulfate in the solution to plate the steel. Remove the Copper plating and start again using a barely damp application cloth and things will improve. Take a look at Larry Potterfield's video on u tube he goes through the whole process of how to rust blue.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 12:01 PM
I used Laurel Mountain solution to rust brown a barrel for a flintlock for my son a few weeks ago, I was surprised that
the bottle didn't come with instructions, but found them online here

Laurel Mountain instructions

I was pleased with the results, that being said, there is a big difference between a flintlock barrel and say a set of damascus barrels,
if you want, PM me with any questions you might have, I will try to help.

Fred
Posted By: Der Ami Re: need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 02:40 PM
gunny, you might try acetone cleaned 0000 steel wool as an applicator.
Mike
Posted By: mc Re: need help with rust blue - 08/20/21 10:07 PM
I use foam paint brushes I use laurel MT.cut in half with water I have used Pilkington and brownells with good results if you don't cut the solution just watch how it converts so You won't get a really matte finish
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com