doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: susjwp Spring steel - 05/13/21 11:46 AM
Where can I purchase sheets of spring steel, 1095, to cut and shape into safety slide springs and /or shims, .002- .016.

Thanks
Posted By: SKB Re: Spring steel - 05/13/21 12:08 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner John, you can buy blued pre-tempured spring steel for several sources:

https://www.monstersteel.com/6-blue-tempered-spring-steel-stock-tattoo-machine-blued.html
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Spring steel - 05/13/21 01:06 PM
I think Brownell used to sell "kits" with various sizes of spring stock, appropriate for making "gun springs". They likely still do, if not sorry for the wild goose chase.
Mike
Posted By: susjwp Re: Spring steel - 05/13/21 09:36 PM
Going on goose chases is half the fun. Thanks for the heads up.

John
Posted By: damascus Re: Spring steel - 05/14/21 08:07 AM
A good source of spring steel in a useful range of sizes is a pack of steel shim stock, this can be purchased from a good Engineering suppliers. Alternatively for small amounts I have always found that a standard Automobile set of engine feeler gauges have many useful sizes. Both items are reasonably priced because they are used in quantity and therefore low cost to purchase, the moment the word gun comes into things the price is elevated beyond the norm.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Spring steel - 05/14/21 12:18 PM
damascus,
You are right about everything you said, and also I have bought sets for $0.50 at flea markets, and you can usually take the leaf out intact by unscrewing the nut on the hinge. A lot of the shims are too thin for springs, but are still useful for scope mounts, etc.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com