doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LGF Stock shrinkage - 03/13/21 10:01 PM
I have a T. Wild hammer gun whose stock has shrunk up to 80 thou from the receiver. Am I correct in assuming that this could lead to cracking from recoil? Is acraglass the solution? I have never worked with it and am concerned about color matching.

Thanks for your advice.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: damascus Re: Stock shrinkage - 03/14/21 11:50 AM
Aesthetically it would be better to use a wooden shim to fill the gap. Stained to a matching colour it will be barely noticeable.
Posted By: LetFly Re: Stock shrinkage - 03/30/21 11:05 PM
Absolutely, do not use it until this issue is corrected. I use Acraglas gel dyed to a close match. As this forms a complete fill of all gaps and spaces the frame and wood mate tightly together. The suggested matching wood shim is also a excellent suggestion however I do not have the requisite skills to get it to be a perfect fit.
Posted By: LGF Re: Stock shrinkage - 04/03/21 12:01 AM
Damascus and LetFly - thanks very much for the input. The wood shims are far beyond my nonexistent woodworking skills; I can never remember which end of the saw to use for pounding nails. Does one match color with Acraglas by experimenting on sample pieces until it looks right?
Posted By: mc Re: Stock shrinkage - 04/03/21 12:24 AM
Yes you can dye the acraglass I don't know if gel is the best bet good luck
Posted By: damascus Re: Stock shrinkage - 04/12/21 09:06 AM
I must admit that I do have a resistance to the use of Epoxy space fillers on gun stocks, it maybe irrational to some folks but I did have problems trying to rectify things after its use. Though I did give rather a short answer to the posting looking at it again, because to me cutting a thin pieces of wood to use as a gap filler can be problematical to some folks let alone trying to source the odd piece of Walnut. Also I did not give a more practical source for the wood for curing this problem making things a lot easier. In the photograph are what you folks call wooden "Popsicle" sticks a name new to myself, on this side of the pond they are a little large for that and sold in craft shops under the name of tongue depressors or craft sticks. these sticks are approximately 5/64 or 1.8 mm thick though the type of wood they are made from I have no idea but perfect for gap filling plus there are other plus points like easy to shape wood does not splinter close grained though the top benefits are the wood is easy to shape very light in colour and takes dye easily. So all in all a useful addition to your wood working box for making good those gaps in many wood repair situations other than gun stocks.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Stock shrinkage - 04/12/21 11:02 PM
"We folks" call those tongue depressors, too. They aren't popsicle sticks. Popsicle sticks are much smaller .........roughly half the width, and shorter. Same type wood, and overall shape, just different size.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com