doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rocky mtn bill sanding block - 12/14/20 05:55 PM
About 20 years ago I had the good fortune to meet one of the country's best stock makers. who gave me a sanding block that I've used ever since and which has made a significant contribution to the quality of my work. The material is solid cork. It's rectangular, 3 1/2 x 2 1/4". A cross section is the shape of an airplane wing with a leading edge radius of1/2" and a trailing edge radius of 1/4". The top surface is curved, and the bottom flat. The shape makes it versatile, and the material makes it durable with just the slightest hint of resilience. Softer or harder material would not work as well. I don't know a source for these. but you can make your own.
Posted By: Antonio Re: sanding block - 12/14/20 06:01 PM

Thank you Bill. Great idea/suggestion.

w
Posted By: Antonio Re: sanding block - 12/14/20 06:11 PM
A quick search on E-Bay turned up some ready made options. Apparently cork sanding blocks are used by luthiers among other craftsmen. First time I heard of it, so thanks again.

w
Posted By: mark Re: sanding block - 12/14/20 10:17 PM
Cork yoga blocks can be cut and shaped to what ever you like.
Posted By: GGress Re: sanding block - 12/15/20 08:59 PM
Had to look em up, never heard of yoga blocks before.
Posted By: Old No7 Re: sanding block - 01/12/21 02:09 PM
I remember my late father having some cork sanding blocks maybe 50 years ago -- that he'd been given probably 30 years earlier! Back then, we kids thought cork was used because they didn't have the foams/plastics we had then or now. Guess that proves they knew something that worked well all along, and that "modern isn't always better".

Originally Posted by Antonio
...cork sanding blocks are used by luthiers among other craftsmen.

I'll admit I had to Google that word -- a Luthier is a maker of stringed instruments, based on the French word for "lute".

Old No7
Posted By: damascus Re: sanding block - 01/15/21 12:24 PM
Just an old trick of the trade though not of the gun trade, more of the cabinet making trade. Make your sanding blocks out of wood then apply Cork to the working face. I purchased a pack of 12 inch square cork floor tiles from what I remember it had 1 1/2 square yards of cork in it. This appeals to my "don't want to pay a lot streak" the pack still has at least a quarter of the tiles left after more years than I want to remember. You can shape the blocks to whatever shape you require at the time then apply the cork with a good strong adhesive if you want to use them wet, when the cork brakes down after many years you just replace it keeping the block.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: sanding block - 01/15/21 04:38 PM
These days anyone who can string a Fender Stratocaster hangs out the Luthier shingle.

Originally Posted by Old No7
I remember my late father having some cork sanding blocks maybe 50 years ago -- that he'd been given probably 30 years earlier! Back then, we kids thought cork was used because they didn't have the foams/plastics we had then or now. Guess that proves they knew something that worked well all along, and that "modern isn't always better".

Originally Posted by Antonio
...cork sanding blocks are used by luthiers among other craftsmen.

I'll admit I had to Google that word -- a Luthier is a maker of stringed instruments, based on the French word for "lute".

Old No7
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com