doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Barrel keels - 04/07/20 08:59 AM
How hard is it to replace missing barrel keels? Any substitute that might work?
Posted By: SKB Re: Barrel keels - 04/07/20 09:38 AM
I make them when needed. Not hard but it takes some time. In my view, anything short of steel soldered in with rosin flux will likely cause a bigger issue later on.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Barrel keels - 04/07/20 03:02 PM
Do you mean the keel behind the fore end hanger, or the fillets that fill in the holes at the muzzle. Some people call those keels too.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Barrel keels - 04/07/20 03:54 PM
Muzzle end
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Barrel keels - 04/07/20 07:06 PM
Years ago when I was stupider I shortened the barrel on a 16ga Stevens 5000 for a slug gun. When I was done there empty spots where keels should be. I rosin fluxed the voids best I could and then jammed in a filed piece and some plumbers solder and gently heated until it melted. I put enough in that it was proud of the muzzle and then just filed it down...

Posted By: RARiddell Re: Barrel keels - 04/08/20 10:03 AM
Thanks guys! First time stretching my wings, not great but it works for me! Still have some filing to do!
Posted By: Mark II Re: Barrel keels - 04/08/20 02:03 PM
If you put a ball of degreased steel wool in the void it will keep so much solder from running down.
Posted By: Salopian Re: Barrel keels - 04/09/20 09:07 AM
I would have a look at that left barrel whilst your working on that gun.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Barrel keels - 04/09/20 04:27 PM
Yeah that’s on the list!
Posted By: gunman Re: Barrel keels - 04/21/20 11:15 AM
I always just filed a triangular piece from a round bar to a good fit . Leave it about 1/8" longer . Make sure the insides are clean , tin the piece ,flux the insides then solder in with a large iron , flat off then tin over the ends and polish off and any solder that may have got into the muzzle ends . May be advisable to wire the barrel ends together .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com