doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: elton stock makers vise - 02/13/19 02:47 AM
does anyone use a leg vise and if you do could you post some pictures. thanks elton
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: stock makers vise - 02/13/19 03:56 AM
I have one like this in my shop, but do not use it for stockmaking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Blacksmith-Leg-Vise-Post-Vise-Forging-Tool-Blacksmithing-5-Jaws/173789866142?hash=item2876aee89e:g:OVMAAOSwBZ5cYiWE:rk:2:pf:0

I use a woodworker's vise like this, with plywood faces for stockworking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Cast-Iron-Woodworkers-Bench-Vise/283035273872?hash=item41e6378a90:g:MRUAAOSwRWRbORRI:rk:9:pf:0

I don't have pics, but could take some. Which type are you talking about? You may need to copy and paste, these don't seem to want to "link".
Posted By: gunman Re: stock makers vise - 02/13/19 09:23 AM
Leg vice with no more than 4&1/2" jaws . I used one all my working life . OK some say they they are clumsy and not as good as a parallel engineers vice , but when you are constantly taking a work piece in and out , moving it around 100 times in a day the long handle and quick action plus the throat depth negates any disadvantage of not having parallel jaws . You just need the correct lead clamps and soft jaw attachments .
Posted By: elton Re: stock makers vise - 02/13/19 03:34 PM
thanks for the Input Im going to try to make a wooden leg vise. Stan the leg vise on ebay was what my grandpa used for blacksmithing.
Gunman can you post a picture of your leg vise please
Posted By: elton Re: stock makers vise - 02/13/19 04:07 PM

I found this picture of a leg vise that came from Fajens
Was hoping to make something similar.
Posted By: gunman Re: stock makers vise - 02/17/19 09:38 AM
Sorry no as I sold it on when I packed up a couple of years back .The only photos I have do not really give clear picture but PM me with a E:mail and I will try to sent them .
Posted By: elton Re: stock makers vise - 02/17/19 02:10 PM
thank you pm sent
Posted By: KY Jon Re: stock makers vise - 02/18/19 09:00 PM
I like a pattern makers vise or a luthiers vise. But what ever you like and does the job is fine.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com