doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 03:43 PM
I've tried a whole bunch of different oils to cure rust bluing: olive oil, ATF, cutting oil, Balistol and the like. What do you folks like, and why? Thanks
Posted By: Ken61 Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 05:00 PM
Any water displacing oil should work, as long as it doesn't contain Silicone. That's why used motor oil cut 50/50 with kerosine works, the Silicone is burned out of it.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 06:50 PM
I use CRC Power Lube, I get it at the auto parts store. Light, drives out water, spray can convenience.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 09:00 PM
I always stayed away from penetrating oils, for fear of removing the "rust"( not a verified action), often just used "way" oil, because it was at hand.
Mike
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
often just used "way" oil, because it was at hand.

Thanks. What's "way" oil?
Posted By: mc Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 09:25 PM
lathe and mill ways
Posted By: B. Dudley Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/08/17 11:01 PM
I have had fine luck with G96 and Rem Oil.
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 02:26 AM
30W non-detergent motor seems to work pretty well.
Let it cure over-night before wiping it off.
Chuck
Posted By: damascus Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 01:04 PM
I use this! A gallon goes a long long way.

Posted By: Ken61 Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 01:12 PM
I don't believe that Castrol DWF is available here in the US.

One of the main reasons I use the MO/K is that since it's inexpensive, I can always have a PVC tank full of it, and do complete submersion overnight.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 01:44 PM
Thank you all for sharing your selection. If you were willing to add in why you made the choice you did, that would be enlightening. I've used whatever was handy, and also stopped using certain things because it smelled up the garage too much, etc.
Posted By: keith Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 04:16 PM
I agree with Mike about not using any penetrating oil that may remove or loosen rust. Our new browning or bluing is a form of rust after all, and it seems to be less securely bonded to the steel when fresh. I tried using the best known water displacing oil, WD-40 once, and noticed that a little of the blacking I worked so hard to achieve came off when I rubbed the oil off. Since then, I've used ATF, mostly because I was given several gallons of old Dexron II and Mercon that is no longer used in newer vehicles.

I also find that WD-40 with 0000 steel wool works very well to remove loose rust or to clean Damascus that has such deep patina that the pattern is obscured.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: keith
I've used ATF, mostly because I was given several gallons of old Dexron II and Mercon that is no longer used in newer vehicles.

Thanks Keith. I've had good results with ATF as well.

Originally Posted By: keith
also find that WD-40 with 0000 steel wool works very well to remove loose rust or to clean Damascus that has such deep patina that the pattern is obscured.

I've used 0000 with Kroil, or Frontier Pad and Kroil for this purpose. Target and Wal-mart have three packs of the same scouring product as Frontier Pad, but for much less money than buying them online.
Posted By: GGress Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 06:18 PM
I just use pure mineral, nothing in but oil.
Posted By: Mike Hunter Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/09/17 07:13 PM
Everyone has their preferences, I'm a big fan of LPS 2, buy it by the gallon, use it in spray bottle.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Oil choices for curing bluing - 06/12/17 04:59 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

Next question: Do you heat your barrels before applying curing oil? If so, or not so, why?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com