doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 12:33 AM
A pastoral country hiway going this way, and that way through farmland, river bottom and forest.
Sounds peaceful eh?
Well not so fast there matey!
Twenty Harley hogs or so, hogging/clogging the hiway with more human flab that I could think possible on a machine with two wheels.
Why don't they drink, fight or whatever they do at a biker bar in town.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 12:36 AM
Did one of them look like the fOx ?
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 12:39 AM
He was at the end of the pack on a Vespa motorscooter!
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 02:07 AM
Ever since Ole' Forbsie of Forbes mag took up riding them cream of society rides them. Just wave to them. I'm sure there wasn't one badass among them.
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 02:41 AM
I'll tell you something about hog riders. Though they are not my type, they've done a far better job as a group at maintaining their right to ride and lifting their public image than gun owners.

Mention in polite company that you own a Harley and no one cares much one way or the other, but mention you own a gun and half the noses in the room will wrinkle up.

When was the last time you turned on Prime Time TV and saw the lead actor polishing a gun in his garage?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 03:06 AM
Was their right to ride ever in danger?
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 03:21 AM
GregSY, you've not gone Hollywood on us now have you hmmmm?
You must be thinking of the Alan Alda, Woody Allen types!
Posted By: mc Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 03:35 AM
gee Lowell wonder what there saying about you?
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 04:12 AM
My Hog is much better for my mind than all the pills the VA gives me.Also the sawed off looks good across the handle bars.
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 04:12 AM
Sure their right to ride has been in danger. Bikers have gone from being a fringe element of society to mainstream. Gun owners are moving in just the opposite direction.

I'll give you an example of how strong bikers have been - many states, Texas included, have rescinded helmet laws. That means they went from no helmet laws to helmet laws (promoted by do-gooders and feel-gooders) and then they were able to exert enough influence on the legislature to have them repealed.

I don't recall gun laws getting any laxer.
Posted By: griz Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 05:06 AM
Lowell...You need to saddle up and come out to Sturgis, SD next August. We just got done with about 200,000 plus Harleys. Those 20 on your pastoral road are just on there way back to the east coast...not to worry, they won't be back till next August.

By the way, before you sign up for the Sturgis Rally, you should reserve a room well in advance. Numbers were down this year, but next year is an anniversary so they are expecting 400,000-500,000 bikers.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 11:20 AM
Don't you just love all the yuppie bikers...
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 11:41 AM
Nothing wrong with them. They're just living the American Dream, baby!
PS. Was ready to grab my 9,3x62 Mauser to cut that herd of "hogs" down some, but...... Gee, I thought he has seen some real ferral hogs.
Posted By: Baron23 Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 01:25 PM
Lowell...what?....did you just see Easy Rider? Time to come out of that time capsule of your LOL

I have been Riding Harley's since 1972 and will compare my waistline to almost any on this board :-)
Posted By: dblfever Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 02:08 PM
What we really need to do is get PITA after Harley Davidson and off us hunters backs. At least 2.5 cows are slaughtered for every new Harley that roles off the line just for there hide's.... And before ya jump on me for this I have one but only take responsibility for .75 cows killed.
Posted By: mc Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 06:06 PM
the new 09 indians were shown in CA. yesterday i rode my 02 chief roadmaster over to take a look, nice stuff. most rider i know dont like the Gov. in any part of there lives.mc
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/17/08 06:53 PM
I FIND THIS WHOLE THREAD IRRELEVANT AND OFFENSIVE, AND DEMAND THAT THE MODERATOR REMOVE IT.

Just stretching yer motorcyle chain...
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 10:49 AM
One morning on my way to a vintagers shoot in Houston I stopped for gas on the way out of town.Plus fours and flashes with a pancake on my head and smart tie,who but a group of local bikers pulled up whom I knew gave me a very funny look.Knowing they wouldn't realy understand I just said soccer at which time they all nodded their heads and went about their business.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 04:47 PM
Amigo Will, thank you for the idea. When I attend the Vintage Cup in Easton, Maryland next month, when the tweeds give me a funny look, I will just say "Redneck", at which time they should all nod their heads and go about their business. On second thought, I may just say "Vendor". I wish I had thought about that all those years at Millbrook. I still don't understand why you would get the funny look if you had a shotgun lashed to your bike.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 05:45 PM
Lowell,
Yur gettin intolerant in yur old age. Yur startin to sound like a pinko liberal Democrat Kalifornian. Ever time I turn around somebody is puttin their stick in someone else manuer just cause they don't like what they're doin. This is America! They're Americans too. Let em suck up their share of O2. Take that Cooper or Kimber out and shoot some crows and be happy.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 06:30 PM
Lowell, I read your stupid post and sort of chuckled at first. But then the more posts I read, the more I felt like making a comment here. I ride a Harley, and I also have quite a few shotguns that I enjoy using to hunt pheasant and quail. I am also a large man, but not fat. I also enjoy riding my Harley out in the pastoral country setting, or whatever other pseudo-aristocratic wannabe jargon you used. And you know what - it is perfectly legal for me to do that. You might want to consider a comparison of the tax returns of some of the Harley riders you see with those of the landed gentry of your ilk. You might be surprised Lowell Old Boy. And for some of the others whose comments I could not ignore, I know it may come as a shock to you all, but there are many brands of motorcycle other than Harley (OTH for the non-initiated)on the road today and yes, those riders also wear leather. Have Harley riders' right to ride been threatened? Most would say no - as long as they ride ONLY where they should and are quiet about it. But, rather than sit around and verbally abuse others with their stated opinions as to their choices, the motorcyclists of the United States have united and made their collective voice heard. Motorcyclists (I know that you would like for me to say bikers wouldn't you Lowell) have proven their staying power and made it known to the world that their favorite pastime is a legitimate sport and is here to stay. On the other hand, gun owners have divided into the "upper crust" pseudo-aristocrats like yourself Lowell who sit and snipe at the auto loading shotgun shooters or the - God forbid that I utter the words - "black gun / full auto" crowd while oiling and caressing their beloved doubles (and I have a lot of them and love them too) while simultaneously losing their / OUR rights to shoot or to even own them. Who knows Lowell, the steel from your guns may ultimately be melted down and go into the frame of a Harley. I bet you might want to buy one then!!! So why don't you just retire into the innermost room of Glenthorn Manor (wait, mobile homes do HAVE the interior divided into rooms don't they) and wax your Beesley or whatever else you might claim to own so as to be away from the dreaded sound of someone on a Harley enjoying their sport - as yours slowly fades away. Wow!! To think that when I started this post it was my intent to call you an opinionated jackass!!! Such restraint - I amaze even myself!!! I suppose though that this thread started by you does have a place on this board since one of the readers/posters did admit to slinging his "sawed off" across the handlebars. Whoever that was, can you tell me what kind of gun clamps you use - I also have a sawed off that I just can't figure out how to carry on my Harley!!!!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 06:40 PM
See what you did Lowell..you done pissed off the yuppie bikers.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 06:47 PM
First time I have been called that HJ!!! Pissed off? Not really. I view Lowell more as an irritant - like gnats - than anyone to really get upset about. But, of course, I guess that makes me opinionated also!!!! I just couldn't resist to poke at him a bit.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 07:24 PM
I know Dave Weber rides bikes or at least used to. Mike Orlen is a Triumph man
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 08:37 PM
I used to ride too....the yuppie bikers ran me off.

First time a saw a girl driving a hawg I knew it was doomed.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 10:03 PM
Large groups of motorcyclist disturb the natural flow of things, and assault the senses - much like the SKS armed weekend warriors do.
Most travlers of country roads try to fit into the surroundings, perhaps take a little of it in on the way and not overwhelm it with constant racking-off of pipes at every intersection - quiet zones or not.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 10:24 PM
Lowell, as much as I hate to admit this - I do have to agree with you to a degree. Some motorcyclists / bikers, whichever term is preferred, do find it thrilling to see just how loud their pipes can be and how much noise they can make. I am personally not one of them, but I do understand the thrill it has for them as well as the disgust that some people find in it. As in any field of endeavor or sport or what have you, there are some who play by the "rules" and others who bend them or just flatly break them. That will not change, but for that reason some municipalities like Denver are enacting "noise limit laws" and are targeting just that type of motorcycle rider (hopefully only that type). I live in a very quiet neighborhood and strictly observe noise limits to the best of my ability. I don't idle my Harley on my driveway when I depart for work at 6 AM, nor do I "gun it" upon departure, but there are some who do and make us all look bad. I just had to comment on your original post and will on most occasions when I see "Harley or Hog riders" lumped all into the same category. As to the large groups of motorcyclists assaulting the senses, I feel the same about a large gathering of non-shotgun carrying bird watchers. But, there go those opinions again!!! Have a good day Lowell, and I do mean that!!
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 10:33 PM
You do the same sir!
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 11:01 PM
What Perry said ---- (bet that at some time in our younger days we all raised hell with glass packs, open headers, drag pipes etc.)
And no JOe, I aint no yuppie --- not on a diesel mechanic's pay.
Have a good one;
Bill
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 11:09 PM
I'd say that most have seen their younger days - or life has been very hard.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 11:28 PM
My take is most Bikers today are living out a fantasy they didn't experience when they were younger...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/18/08 11:44 PM
Right on Perry- I am in the same league. I enjoy riding- do not belong to any organized club-nor wear colors or Nazi insigna or other offensive badges- Same reason as I love to shoot varmints, I don't wear those "Ted Nugent" style T-shirts with crosshairs and a groundpig's head exploding like a bottle of ketchup. I ride because I love the Freedom that made our country great- something that possibly elitist snobs like Bro. Glen-Thorn-In-The-Side and numbnutz like Homeless Joe don't seem to grasp-and I like the 50 mpg. at $4.00/gallon gas my Softail gets at road cruisin' speed. I have ridden on the 'Nam Vets Rolling Thunder rides in MI- from various points to our Capital in Lansing-good thing Marlon and his leather jacketed crew rode Triumphs in that cult classic The Wild Ones-can't be giving our "Hogs" a bad name-
WW1 did for Harley what prohibition did for NASCAR- gave it birth- USA Signal Corps used Harleys in WW1 mud-with chains on the tires- and as the surviving pilots took up barnstorming in the 1920's, the Harley guys went into cross-country racing- just as prohibition and Southern moonshinin' and the "revoonuers" chasing on back Country roads lead to the great sport of NASCAR racing today- If the gun owners and the NRA were as well organized (and not as devisive) as are the various biker groups- the Supremes might have bettered the "point spread" from 5 to 4 to maybe 7 to 2- wake up guys- being elitist and snobs about anything related to guns locks out many of us that are diesel mechanics, power plant welders, tool & die makers- from the "inner strata" and when it comes time to unite and kick into the coffers to fight the evergrowing antis- we won't answer the call- Bikers are well organized and tend to overlook personal "difficulties"- Hell, they might even let the Duke of Glenthorne ride in their sidecar- just try asking nicely there Lowell Old Boy- stiff upper lip and all!! RWTF
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 01:19 AM
Lowell did you hear something go puttering by ?
Posted By: Timothy S Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 04:58 AM

===========@@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ VROOM VR
====================@@@@@@@@@ VROOM VROOM VROOM
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! *DELETED* - 08/19/08 12:50 PM
Post deleted by Run With The Fox
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 02:03 PM
Saw norm Cash hit it out of the park on a sixth grade field trip.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
My take is most Bikers today are living out a fantasy they didn't experience when they were younger...

Whom do you categorize as "bikers" HJ? I know that bikers is a term that many apply to Harley riders, but I submit to you that anyone who rides a "bike" is a biker. Now, I also know that there are many "bikers" a.k.a., Harley riders who whould vehemently disagree with me - but that is really unimportant because this is merely MY opinion. Mind you, so is yours, and I am not challenging it, just curious. It always entrigues me to know the exact definition an individual applies to the sterotype they have just labeled another person with. As for me, I usually refer to myself as a motorcyclist because a motorcycle is what I ride and enjoy. If someone prefers to refer to me as a biker, then so be it. From anyone other than fellow "bikers" I do draw the line at being called "scooter trash" or "scooter tramp" (Amigo will know what I mean). Seriously, I am merely curious as to how you define a "biker." Also, I would ask the same question of Lowell. Additionally, regarding your allusion to bikers today living a fantasy of their youth, you may be correct to a degree. However, their now being able to afford a Harley or any other large motorcycle and all the acoutrements that are attendant to the biker lifestyle is probably closer to the real reason. Have a good one Joe. And Joe, there is no shame in being a Moped rider - just in case yours and Lowell's adamant stance on "bikers" may just be a front to cover such a personal fact!!!!
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 05:59 PM

The simple fact, like it or not, is that this country has become overcrowded. It's romantic to think of taking a pleasurable ride down a winding country road scattered with turning oak leaves and stopping at a roadside cafe for a piece of apple pie made by the old lady who runs the place.

But the reality is once you ride 2 hours to get to the country road, there will be construction signs, and 12 jackasses driving in line in front of you and 12 more behind you. There won't be a cafe, there will be a Hardee's run by a 17 year old with baggy pants, and the only thing scattered on the road will be cigarette butts and beer cans.

That's why I sold my bike and hate to leave the house.
Posted By: mc Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 06:29 PM
alot of us had bikes, then raised our kids, so we sold our bikes, couldnt take a chance of getting hurt.and now picking up where we left off.i live in CA.once you get away from the freeways we have lots of roads to ride.i dont think hiding in the basement because other people enjoy get out is the answer.gregSY have you thought of decalf? mabe yoga?
Posted By: jmc Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 06:52 PM
I have a Harley - a Springer Classic that I've made my own by pulling off the factory stuff I didn't like and putting on a few things I like. Can do the same thing with our double guns to make them the way we want. To those that stereotype, I guess I'm a yuppie... I also own frontage on one of those country byways and come to think about it, I've forgotten to consider whether the folks passing by in their cars or on their bikes are offended when I'm hunting on my land and the fact that my shotgun makes noise when I pull the triggers.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/19/08 07:02 PM
been rideing 47 years,some club some not. First bike a Triumph Cub set up for flat track,second a 1955 BMW R/50 when I got back from Viet Nam in 68. If you ride a scoot you are a biker.Bikers come in different levels just like shotgun shooters running from the once a year dove hunter to George Digweed. You got 1% clubs that are less selective in morals and some with good morals that just like a good fight.You got vet clubs christian clubs maker clubs. Some have tons of brotherhood and some just a sunny nothing to do this sunday so ride with the guys clubs.To tell the truth the big boys love to see all the other folks out rideing as all those other folks rideing vote for their rights which give the few their rights. Same for us shotgunners as without the rest of the shooting hunting world we would be gone.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 02:45 AM
Lowell did you hear that Vespa again...
Posted By: Timothy S Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Amigo Will
Saw norm Cash hit it out of the park on a sixth grade field trip.

Was that at old Tiger Stadium?? Also, I think that Stormin Normin had a couple of too many ginger ale's, fell in the drink and drowned up at Mackinaw Island a few years back. I THINK that is how the story goes. He was one of my heros back on the '68 world series club.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 04:23 AM
Ya I think it was called Griggs field back then,saw him hit two more out on T.V.. I liked Cash better than Kaline.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 04:26 AM
Don't be trashin' Vespas. I've got a GTS 250ie that I drive to work almost every day. Wonder how HPD would take to a LOM attached to the back rack?
Posted By: Timothy S Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 04:38 AM
Horton was cool, remember Earl Wilson, our only black pitcher of the day, and he could hit, DAMN. Mickey Stanley played every position EXCEPT PITCHER AND CATCHER that year. Those boys had it going on... The coach just knew how to get the MOST out of his guys and he played his gut... It payed off. Don't forget Denny McKlain and Mickey Loliech, Gates Brown would come in and pinch hit a home run every time. Pat Dobson in the Pen, and all that we are forgetting, we love you all. You guys made history, you brought Detroit out of the ashes. We love you all.

Tim
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 10:44 AM
I'd like to see you ride a Vespa to work in Memphis.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 12:16 PM
I always rode with class- Honda CB750K.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 01:54 PM
Courtesy of cc/dt

Posted By: crossedchisles Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 02:32 PM
Purdey's in the 1950s thru March 31 1964,(My Exit from"The Smoke") Was a Motorcycle Mecca".We had Nortons, AJS, Matchless. Ariel. Road Bikes,"Moto-Cross"(Scramblers & Trialers)A couple of the "Older Chaps" had "Chairs"(For the Growing Familys" Peter Chapman(Finisher) Was one of the Best Short Track Circuit Racers& Scramblers,Peg Standing Trialer,Both with & without a "Chair". I was a Ace Cafe'Ton-Up'Racer, in the 30 mph speed limit areas, (Untill I got 'Busted for Pheasant Poaching) I Killed "Woodies" every Fri-Mon. Leaving Purdeys Factory With my"Yank" S/B 12b Strapped across my back, Purdey's Best Cartridges From Harry Lawrence MBE.("Free").110m to Badminton.Gloucs.Sleeping with "The Bike & Gun" Killing Woodies,Flying, Sitting, Nesting. Sometimes "Self" and Other Like Minded"Shooters" would Bag"In the 100 plus. We sold the Birds to a Supplier, made our Petrol & Beer money..A well spent period of Youth!! cc/dt
Posted By: GregSY Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 02:59 PM
I had a chance to buy a complete and clean Vincent Black Shadow in Chicago back around 1993...I passed on it because it was just too much money for me at the time....$20,000. There are lots of motorcycle engines, but nothing has the look of a Vincent engine.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 03:09 PM
[img][/img]

My buddie just brought this home.
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 05:18 PM
Ken...Very Nice Looking Ride! Is that a "Street Legal" or is it a "Off the Road Model" I see a Good place for a Rifle Scabbard...My Father, in The Big Push' up through Belg.& Holland,(Holland as in"Tulips & Clogs, Not Harrow Road Gun & Rifle Factory) Back in 1944, picked up a Choice Ride,A US Army Indian Motor Cycle, Fitted-Out to carry 2 Men and Scabbards for 2 Long-Guns. I would have liked to have seen that rig' Just had the news from Salt-Point, New York,"The Gun Store" Pals Dad-in-Law, just past, 91 yrs old, Fought the "Krauts", Rommel & Co. in North Africa, then all the way North through Italy.Great Survivor, Was watching His Baseball Team on tv evening before.'Spect He & Patten will be at the Heavenly Bar this evening!! cc/dt
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 06:42 PM
CC,

Off road only T-100c single carb model Triumph. This one would ruin LG's idyllic setting for sure.

Ken
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 06:53 PM
give it a headlight and taillight and I would run it on the road. What a classic.Remember in teh late sixties when our top motocross guys went arcoss the pond to kick butt in TT's and came back head hanging low saying that is tuff rideing.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! *DELETED* - 08/20/08 06:53 PM
Post deleted by Amigo Will
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/20/08 11:36 PM
Ken;
The Rickman conversion is a treat to see - thanks for putting that up. Hope he rides it - shame to keep it on a trailer. But that's just me.
And Mr. Crossed Chisels -- I wish I had taken as many pictures as you "back in the day". Cafe racing -- FOR REAL!! You Sir, like many of us, didn't "let any grass grow". And that's a good thing.
We have very few pix from back in the bushytailed days, but here's a scan of Miss Mann's Pan.

Oh yeah, there is a drip pan under it-- (We all know that Harleys are the only bikes that leaked oil ---- right???)
Many thanks to all of you guys --- This turned out to be a really cool thread.
Have a good one all;
Bill
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 03:57 AM
And just think, we owe it all to the Monarch of Glenthorn Manor, Thorny!!!! Thanks Lowell.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 04:59 AM
Is that a springer on the front of the pan.Its crazy out there.They now make fake pan heads to put on your Evo
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:07 AM
Perry, glad I could provide a platform for you bikers!
I've said my piece in the opening topic...so we all win.
Guys who have me on ignore really miss something, my last topic was "The mean times, the lean times," which went over 1500 views and close to 100 replies!
Btw, I dislike ATVs also, those riders can afford the machines, but not the property they muck-up!
Post deleted by HomelessjOe
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:24 AM
Must up-date...lots of fan mail!
Posted By: h d hawg'r Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:59 AM
I ride too, with a "handle" like h d hawgr I'm sure y'all had already figgered that out. Kinda hard to believe that a few bikes going down the road together is an inconvenience for anyone.
I would ask one favor though. When you meet a group of bikes (bikers?) riding in formation, with Old Glory and other flags proudly waving, with flags, windshield banners and vest patches that say "Patriot Guard Riders", will you PLEASE pull to the side of the road and remove your hat/cap for just a couple of minutes? We will be escorting a deceased military hero to his final resting place, and only ask that you give a moment of your time to show him the respect he deserves.
Thank you, Curtis
Posted By: LeFusil Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 07:06 PM
My other British Best....
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 07:41 PM
Nouveau Old Skool!! I can dig it!
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 08:03 PM
Lowell, I know you will not believe this, but we agree on the ATV's. Actually, it is the irresponsible ATV riders that are the problem. But, as you say, we all win. There is nothing like civil disagreement - and poking a little fun at each other while doing it!!
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 10:08 PM
LeFusil --- SWEET WORK!!! Will stand out in any crowd.
Amigo -- Yeah, it was a springer (sort of) -- had a single spring in the center, and the twisted rods. Wish we had it back.
Suppose we can get Mr. Trevallion to dig out some more of those pictures???
Have a good one;
Bill
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:02 PM
Here you go Bill. His first; 1954

Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:22 PM
Harley riders have that wannabee, look alike thing going on.
Watch Nat Geo's "Gangland," these biker gangs do nothing for your image. Kinda like if kindly owd Lowell dressed-up as a "Skinhead" on Halloween night...would you give me treat - or not open the door and turn-off the light.
When you look like 'em, it puts people off.
Posted By: crossedchisles Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:42 PM
revdocdrew...1954 vintage 32cc 2stroke"Cyclemaster" Had to Peddle like "The Clappers" to get the thing rolling, you could make 25mph on the flat. But when I was loaded down with 12-20 Dead Wood-Pigeons, Harrington& Richardson S/B 12b Couple of boxes of cartridges, Quart Bottle of'Scrumpy"...The Peddles were a Must!! I once was 'Entrusted to carry a matched pair of Purdey 12b Guns from The Irongate Factory all the way to the "West London Shooting Grounds" in "Soft-Bags Slung across my back"....I was 17 and lusting for a Real Motor-Cycle. This photo was in Jan 1970. My Father had found my Ist M/C.in the back of a old garage...an it still "Ran"(Note the front Forks, My Old Man" made them from a copy of his 1933 Brough Superior!) Apologies to Glenthorn I feel "Us M/Cycle-Heads" have done a"Dick Turpin on Hampstead Heath" to his original Thread!!! cc/dt.
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/21/08 11:59 PM
Come on now Mr. Glenthorn..... Do we really look like "Gangland wannabees"???? Hell no --- Just blue collar rednecks, who happen to like old guns -- AND old motorcycles. (New motorcycles too.)

Thanks David and Doc Hause for the pictures. Far as I'm concerned you can post as many as you have, along with the stories about them.
Best;
Bill
Posted By: rabbit Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 12:01 AM
Got invited to church service at a store in Paducah, KY by a "mom and pop" club last Sunday week. Thought about it but pretty close to departure time on the boat. Around here, we got an all-black club (Thunderguard) and the Pagans. Always figured the Thunderguards were pretty intelligent as they tended to wear skid lids even back in the ABATE era. Used to live next door to a Pagan member. Friendly and polite, kids were the same, worked for a well driller in Jersey. Wife was nervous as a cat when answering the door. She may have had reason as Pagan activities after dark weren't entirely Boy Scout approved.

jack
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 12:03 AM
Lowell Nat Geo's gang land is much like the anti gunners/ hunters programing. Some truth mostly fiction. Yes folks in camo or hunting togs can be slobs hence the shot up street signs poaching drive by's ect but not a good example of all.I have very close ties with one of the big outfits and everyone goes to work each day,has a home and kids(most enter the service like their dads did) and clean records.What screws with many heads is once a year we do a CCW class for the newer members so they can pack legaly. If they were like gangland I'm sure no CCW would be issued here in Texas. Now give one shite or disrespect and its on.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 12:21 AM
Lowell don't you know the modern Harley rider is like a Cowboy shooter or a guy at a SxS shoot dressed in Edwardian garb...
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 03:47 PM
Wild Hogs(fist bump)
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 06:18 PM
Is this a motorcycle site or a gun site? It's time for someone to start talking about religion so Dave will shut it down.
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 06:26 PM
Ok Jimmy God rides a Harley
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/22/08 08:36 PM
Nice "Bike" back in our day- the prestige bicycle was the Limey Raleigh- 3 speed shift- the whole ball o wax- not sure what this puppy is, don't Hardley look like no Davidson to me- see any of you guys at the 105th B'Day in "Brat 'n Brewski Town" next week- I'll buy the Leinie (apres the ride of course) and Lowell- You and the Horse (not Iron of course) you rode into town-always wondered why I disliked "Yuppie Snobs" and now I realize why!!
Posted By: coloradopaul Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/23/08 03:14 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist:

My '78 R100S. Spent way to much time rebuilding it a few years ago.....Air Heads, you gotta love 'em
Posted By: JayCee Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/23/08 07:02 PM
The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson, died and went to heaven.

At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, 'Since you've Been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your Reward is that you can hang out with anyone you want to in heaven.'

Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, 'I want to hang out with God.'

St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God.
God recognized Arthur and commented, 'Okay, so you were the one who invented the Harley-Davidson motorcycle?'

Arthur said, 'Yeah, that's me....'

God commented: 'Well, what's the big deal in inventing something that's pretty unstable, makes noise and pollution and can't run without a road?'

Arthur was apparently embarrassed, but finally spoke, 'Excuse me, but aren't you the inventor of the woman?'
God said, ' Ah, yes.'

'Well', said Arthur, 'professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention:
1. There's too much inconsistency in the front-end protrusions
2. It chatters constantly - at high speeds
3. Most rear ends are too soft and wobble too much
4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust
5. The maintenance costs are outrageous!!!!

'Hmmmmm, you may have some good points there,' replied God, 'hold on.'

God went to his Celestial Super Computer, typed in a few words and waited for the results.

The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it.

'Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed,' God said to Arthur,...

'but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than Yours.'
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/23/08 10:14 PM
80% of Harleys built in the seventies are still on the road. The other 20% made it home safely and running.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/24/08 08:28 PM
Actually Amigo Mio- it was Briggs Field- Mr. B acquired it in 1931-during the Great Depression era that smacked "Mo-Fro_Town" upsaid its haid-hard too. It was originally Navin Field-and was built in the Irish section (my heart of hearts)of Detroit- known as Corktown- not because they had "corked" bats, but from Co. Cork in the Blessed Isle- that's why all the seats were painted green-Here's a spin from Carl Jung's theory of synchronicity- you come home from work at Fords and trip over an alkaline battery on the apartment steps-later that night you hear that Al Kaline is going to Cooperstown-what a class guy and great ballplayer-first Tiger to make 6 figures in the 1960's era (Norm Cash, Charlie Maxwell) apologized to the City for being so overpaid-when a Millwright at GM might clear $30K with heavy overtime-puts him in League with Gehrig and Dimaggio, in my book!
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/24/08 08:39 PM
Hey Run;
Tried to send you a PM a while ago -- Let me know if you got it. Remember reading that there is some kind of trick to it. We're not so swift on computers here.
Thanks;
Bill
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/25/08 01:52 PM
Well I was kinda close
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! *DELETED* - 08/25/08 11:44 PM
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 12:50 AM
All my kinfolk still alive live in Romeo except for my kids and grandkids down here in Texas. I'm now the oldest male in my family and that is a strange felling.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 01:35 AM
Geez!! We really need to shut this post down. Will someone PLEASE start talking about religion so Dave will close it. PLEASE!!
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 02:17 AM
Already did Jimmy.Claimed God rode a Harley. Its better than ragging on members.Kinda a life of it own I guess
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! *DELETED* - 08/26/08 02:46 AM
Posted By: binko Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 03:30 AM
I own and ride 3 motorcycles, none Harleys. I refuse to pay twice the price for half the bike. My choices, 1985 Honda SX 65 Sabre, 2001 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior, [you know, the bike that beats the V-Rod every year in the NHRA Nationals in the Hot Rod Cruiser Class], and a 2001 Kawasaki Mean Streak, now, my pride and joy is a 1893 Holland & Holland, Royal in 12g, but I won't throw it across the handlebars of any motorcycle.

"The only difference between a Harley and a Hoover...the position of the dirt bag". :o)

no offense,

binko
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 03:34 AM
By Jove, I think I've got it!...Fox's posting style that is. Charles Dickens, indeed Pickwickian it is...specifically, Alfred Jingle, Esquire, no Manor, No where. He told us he was a reader. Jingle may have been a rascal, but I judge Fox a good guy though, IMHO...Geo
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 11:07 AM
Seems to me the "Fox," has milked this topic for all it's worth, and now he wants to shut 'r down!
Guys with famous last words - watch movies and eat popcorn in their underwear at 3:00 AM!
Posted By: Kraft Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 11:33 AM
Funny you should say that Binko -- I've worked with a guy we call "Bink" for twenty some years -- He rides a Moto Guzzi Stone', and calls me and my bikes"Dirt Bags" every day.
Have heard that Warriors are the hottest of all the new metric V twins -- None around here yet. Doubt if they are any match for the early V-Max though.
Don't mean to ruffle any feathers/plumeage, but had to reply.
Have a good one all;
Bill
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT Hogs on the road! *DELETED* - 08/26/08 11:54 AM
Posted By: binko Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 01:54 PM
"Doubt if they are any match for the early V-Max"

Kraft, that's why I got the Honda V65 Sabre. The fastest production bike for 8 years running, V4, 6 Speed, 121 hp, 173 mph off the showroom floor, made from 1977 - 1985, when the government outlawed motorcycles with that much hp.

Patrick Racing's, street legal, Warrior, the one that beats the V Rod, turns 9.2 sec. @ 147 mph in the quarter mile.

The V Max's are in the 10's.

Just a little trivia from what I have read, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of it. TIFWIW

binko
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 02:05 PM
You think the fOx rolls his Harley up in the living room....
Posted By: Amigo Will Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 04:17 PM
Joe where are you supposed to put them.
Posted By: binko Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 04:31 PM
Boy, that is open ended question!

binko
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 09:47 PM
I think Foxie rolls up his magic carpet.
Posted By: Golfswithwolves Re: OT Hogs on the road! - 08/26/08 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: coloradopaul
Sorry, couldn't resist:
That bike is a beauty! I've got a '78 R100S also, but mine is red and has a sidecar attached. Also have a couple other Beemers; I don't have Harleys anymore (BMWs are more the type of bike I like). Harleys are OK bikes, but I too would wish that their riders would not gather in large clots of bikes on the road but would instead ride in ones or twos or at least move along faster. Those big bunches of bikes are hard to get around.

My '78 R100S. Spent way to much time rebuilding it a few years ago.....Air Heads, you gotta love 'em
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com