doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Last Dollar The Shrine! - 08/03/08 12:32 PM
Way too hot to work outside yesterday, 106, so was going through some old pics. Found this one which I imaged poorly. The really neat thing about a visit to Purdeys is the way you are treated. The wonderful gentleman that tends the place even remembered me from a prior visit! Not by name, but as that "chap from the middle of the States"......Dicksons in Edinburgh is as friendly...

Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 01:01 PM
Looks like Frederick Beesley at the front door?
Posted By: SKB Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 01:12 PM
That is the nice thing about Audley house....I was amazed how well they treated me. I was just a young pup backpacking around and certainly not a player. Yet the attitude is one that they know circumstances change throughout ones life and that they hope to see you again were you to ever be in the market. A lovely Gent that runs Audley. A slightly different attitude down the way a bit at Holland's. We have a bit of cloud cover up here in the mtns this morning and are hopeful for a few drops of rain. This heat and lack of rain is for the birds.
Steve
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 02:42 PM
Nice momento of your visit. I don't walk into places like that, because their rifles and shotguns don't do anything for me.
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 02:54 PM
PJ, you just float on a wiff of old money into places like that.
You either got it, or you don't...sorry but thats the rule.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:03 PM
New Money works too!

Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:05 PM
Did you go home with it?
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:17 PM
The only upscale place I go to on regular basis is Beretta Gallery on Lexington. Last time I was there I picked up couple books and luvly wood cleaning rod with 28ga fittings. They were out of good snap caps, so I went to 5th turned left towards NYC PLibrary.....When I got to the right location for that London Gun Gallery I just could not bring myself to go in. I felt certain kind of uneasiness about going in...... you know a sense of not belonging.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:20 PM
He looks like a very happy camper. The only time I get that kind of grin if after I had sleepless knight with a beautiful woman.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:40 PM
More Purdey pics on the 'Irongate Wharf' album courtesy of cc/dt
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20113938
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 03:48 PM
Kind of sad, but the craftsmen making those guns can't afford to buy one. This Mr. Beaumont actually answers e-mails from common folk.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 04:32 PM
Gun Funded by Homeland Security grant. Riot gun for very elegant rioters. RHIP
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: The Shrine! - 08/03/08 06:12 PM
The 'Premier Grade' .454 with six inch tube and fixed sights........that's you Silver Dollar! Be sure to order spare "clip" in .45ACP.
Posted By: von Falkenhorst Re: The Shrine! - 08/04/08 03:52 AM
The gun being held in the picture does not appear to be a Purdy. Looks like a nice Birmingham boxlock.

JKBvF
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Re: The Shrine! - 08/04/08 10:23 AM
So it tis, so it tis, prolly a Purdey Keeper's Grade gun choked for the estates' problems with poachers and vermin. Brought in from W&C Scott no doubt.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: The Shrine! - 08/04/08 11:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
He looks like a very happy camper. The only time I get that kind of grin if after I had sleepless knight with a beautiful woman.
................After you had a sleepless knight?? Uhhhh.....OK......... Anyway, will they let you through the door if they know you're like me-too poor to pay attention?
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: The Shrine! - 08/04/08 11:59 AM
JW, as I said, seconded by Steve, it is a very friendly place. I have been in a number of times, and Never felt uncomfortable. I always let them know, I cant afford a "real" gun, and he always lets me drool and fondle....That pic was taken Sept 12, 2001. We were landing at Heathrow when the towers came down, a whole nuther story...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com