doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Cameron Heart Nut wood - 05/23/08 03:12 AM
Was down doing some work at my folks place today. My dad said he was cutting down one of his heart nut trees because the shells are "to damn hard" to crack, and was wondering if I wanted it for stock making.

From what he said, it was a cross between a walnut (english or black?) and a chestnut. Don't know if there will be any blanks suitable for stocks until it's cut.

My question is, has any of the stockers here ever built a stock out of heartnut wood or is it even a viable wood for stocks?

Thanks,
Cameron
Posted By: woodsrunner38 Re: Heart Nut wood - 05/23/08 03:20 AM
Don't want to come across as a "smartazz", but if you could give me the scientific or Latin name for this tree I MAY be able to get some info up on wood structure and strength that would help you make a decision. Common names for the same tree are different in different locations, and it's easy to confuse species. English Walnut is an excellent example of this!
Posted By: Cameron Re: Heart Nut wood - 05/23/08 03:30 AM
Not a "smartazz" at all woodsrunner! I'll try and get more information from him. In appearance, it looks about like one of his carpathian walnut trees. I've never seen a chestnut tree, so as far as I know, it may look like a chestnut as well!

Cameron
Posted By: Doug Waterman Re: Heart Nut wood - 05/23/08 04:17 AM
The heartnut is a native of Japan that is well suited to the Great Lakes fruit growing regions (zone 6), a region similar to its native regions in Japan. The nut is named after the shape of the nut.It is considered a seed sport of the Japanese walnut and not a different species. The Japanese walnut is an oval nut, unlike the heart shaped form of the heartnut. The Japanese walnut usually cracks out very poorly, making it unsuitable for commercial production. There are no selected common Japanese walnuts in propagation. They tend to be hardier than the heartnut form of the nut and so efforts should be made to find improved cracking Japanese walnut selections for colder regions. When heartnut seeds are planted, a wide variety of nut shapes and sizes can be produced by the offspring, from good and poor cracking types to oval, very poor cracking, typical Japanese nuts. For this reason, commercial orchards are not advised to plant seedling heartnut trees, but should plant only grafted trees. Though the heartnut tree will grow in colder regions than zone 6, it can be affected by late frosts. Since the tree is terminal bearing, the nut flowers are housed in the tip buds of the trees. These buds are the first to open in the spring and are sensitive to cold spells in April and May. Frost injured flowers will abort and so reduce the crop.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com