doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gr8day Alex Martin info - 04/08/08 01:06 PM
I saw a beautiful Alex Martin 20g at a show last weekend. The owner said it was made in the 1920's for the outfitter J.T Lake. It was quite slim with a coin finish boxlock receiver and nice engraving. Does anyone have any info on this maker and the approximate value of a 95% gun.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Alex Martin info - 04/08/08 02:37 PM
Alex Martin has Brand Value level three (BV3). Original Quality grade should be grade five or six (most likely - BLE, I assume); OQ5 or OQ6. Current Condition level could be CC2, CC3, or CC4, based on your description. "95%" implies a CC2 (slight use) but the coin finished receiver sounds more like a reblacked gun which is more likely CC4 (heavy use, but no abuse - not a lot of BLE's of this time frame were actually coin finished - look at the action flats for traces of case color to confirm if the action was really coin or colored. BV3-OQ5-CC2 = $4208, BV#-OQ5-CC3 = $3148, BV#-OQ5-CC4 = $2396, BV3-OQ6-CC2 = $3101, BV3-OQ6-CC3 = $2320, and BV3-OQ6-CC4 = $1766. These numbers are for retail in USA of a 12 bore SXS made 1890ish to 1960ish. 1920's fits to these numbers. 20 bore SXS is getting around 150% - 175% premium to 12 bore recently. So, multiply the $ figures by 1.5 to 1.75. There is a 2X spread on the numbers, but at least that is the ballpark. More complete description = more refined price estimate. Lake was an Australian importer as I understand.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Alex Martin info - 04/08/08 02:40 PM
Would there be a premium for one of the ribless Martin guns?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Alex Martin info - 04/08/08 03:15 PM
The ribless guns are pretty rare. You might get some premium if you found a buyer really wanting a light gun. Otherwise, I haven't documented a premium. Anyone else got any sales data on Martin Ribless guns?
Posted By: grendel Re: Alex Martin info - 04/10/08 12:10 AM
Gr8day,
Sounds a lot like a 16 bore Martin BLE that is one of my favorite quail guns. It sold for around $1.4K several years ago. Not much case color left on the receiver and some simple border engraving. Mine weighs in at 6 lb 2 oz with 15 1/2" of pull to a checkered wood butt. Very dynamic gun too. Had to work on an ejector once, but it was standard Birmingham boxlock stuff with Southgates.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Alex Martin info - 04/10/08 12:31 PM
grendel,

What is yours chambered?
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Alex Martin info - 04/10/08 08:57 PM
Alex Martin,was established in Paisley, Scotland in 1837. Most Alex Martin guns & rifles have the following address; 20 Exchange square, Glasgow.The firm operated from this location from circa 1880 upto their take-over by John Dickson and Son in 1970.The firm was highly respected for its target rifles as well as the "Martin rib-less shotgun".A complete description of the rib-less gun is to be found on the Glasgow Museum, Mitchell library web site. The Glasgow museum also houses the more important items of the Alex Martin collection [ Appointment required to view]. I had the pleasure of reviewing the collection with the late Geoffrey Boothroyd in the 1970,s.
The Alex Martin rib-less gun sold for 50-55 pounds stirling in 1930. A mint example was sold recently in Canada for $5000.
It is worth noting, that many of the rib-less guns were made for Alex Martin,by A.A. Brown; Thus the quality is exceptional!
Canadian collectors may be interested to learn that Alex Martin established a business in Calgary, Alberta circa 1900. Some information on this business is available on the Calgary Chamber of Commerce web site.
Posted By: grendel Re: Alex Martin info - 04/11/08 01:58 AM
Gr8day,

My Martin 16 has 2.5" chambers. Proofs are 3 ton nitro.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com