doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CFWs Thank you, Chuck H - 02/09/08 05:21 PM
for giving me the inspiration to once again try my hand at re-browning damascus barrels. Recently, I acquired a hammer double rifle that was advertised as steel barrels and to my surprise, they were damascus. After an unsuccessful attempt rebrowning in the past, I had considered sending them out, but after reading your post "Trials of damascus refinishing" I decided to try again. I also re-read Mr. Gaddy's instructions in DGJ about a dozen times.
I purchased some stuff I needed from Brownells, along with the suggested chemicals, and tried again.
This time, after much experimentation, the results are stunning. I was able to achieve a dark brown with very good contrast.
Now, I have four other sets of barrels that need to be done!
My pics do not do it justice by any means, but I included some for you to see.
Thanks again, Craig

Posted By: King Brown Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/09/08 06:05 PM
Without surprises like this life would be pretty dull, and this is a good one. Good goin'.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/10/08 04:51 AM
Craig,
Those barrels look great. I hope mine come out as nice. I still haven't done mine yet, but I have shot it for POI after re-laying the ribs.

Glad I did something to help. I enjoy posting about how I did something, especially something I'm learning as I go (which is most things) as it helps me by making me think thru it logically so I can convey it to readers. So it helps me as well.
Posted By: JM Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/10/08 12:24 PM
They look excellent, Craig!

I guess that explains why I haven't seen you shooting this past week.

If you can, bring them along the next time you come up to shoot. I would love to see them.
Posted By: CFWs Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/10/08 04:23 PM
Jim,

Your right. I was working on the final rusting of the barrels Thursday evening. I knew I was getting close, and wanted to get this project finished so I could get back out and shoot this rifle again!
Posted By: JM Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/10/08 09:11 PM
You know Criag, Hopewell has a nice rifle range, and I could take you down there as a guest and help you site them in...
Posted By: CFWs Re: Thank you, Chuck H - 02/11/08 02:51 AM
We may have to do that.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com