in leather? I've always wanted to try it, but I'm not sure how to
start. I've got a couple of Old English pads laying around to play
with, and some leather scraps. What kind of leather is used? I've
seen some guns with pigskin covered pads, but wouldn't that be too
thick? I was thinking of maybe trying some deerskin, as I've got a
lot of that already tanned and ready to go. Also, I assume that the
leather must be glued somehow. What kind of glue? Ron
Posted By: CJO Re: leather covered pads - 01/24/08 04:02 PM
Hi Ron, here is a thread I started a while back, it was well received, the pictures are no longer there but there is a lot of info

CJ

http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthrea...=true#Post46764
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: leather covered pads - 01/24/08 04:24 PM
Buy a copy of "Shotgun Technicana" by McIntosh and Trevallion. It has a very good section on covering a pad with leather--and good photos too.
Posted By: JayCee Re: leather covered pads - 01/24/08 10:42 PM
Hello Ron,

I have another great thread by Recoil Rob with detailed instructions and
excellent photos that I can email to you.

JC
Posted By: Ron Hunt Re: leather covered pads - 01/24/08 10:49 PM

JayCee,

Thanks for the offer. My e-mail address is
ronaldhunt444@msn.com.
Posted By: Katie and Jessie Re: leather covered pads - 01/24/08 10:57 PM
Ron
I don't think you want ot use deer skin. Goat or pigskin are the normal leathers used for pads as far as I know of. Goat skin is thinner but some like the look of pigskin. I have done both and don't really have a prefrence. With pigskin you have to dye it so you can get the color you want.

Regards, Gordon
Posted By: PeteM Re: leather covered pads - 01/25/08 03:34 AM
Check on ebay. You can pick up goat skin or pig skin hides cheap. Just have to look. Also the document that Jaycee put together from Recoil Rob's post a few years ago is very good.

Pete
Posted By: JayCee Re: leather covered pads - 01/25/08 02:14 PM
Hello Pete and thank you, but all the merit goes to R Rob who generously shared with us an excellent "how to" post with precise instructions and very good photos.

All I did was archive it, :-)

JC
Posted By: eightbore Re: leather covered pads - 01/25/08 02:38 PM
I covered the pad on my 870 hand painted duck gun with deer skin. It looked good for a while but peeled and kind of shredded. I don't know why, but assume it's because deer skin is not meant for leather covered pads. I used it because I had it but won't use it again.
Posted By: PeteM Re: leather covered pads - 01/25/08 05:08 PM
JayCee,

I printed a copy and sent it off to a young man just starting in the stocking business. He now offers leather covered pads as part of his services.

Pete
Posted By: T. Boone Berlin Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 05:59 AM
Thanks again for that Pete! Hope you are doing well!
Posted By: PeteM Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 02:34 PM
Boone,

You have to take some pictures of your work and post them here. We would all like to see them.

Pete
Posted By: JayCee Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 02:55 PM
Hello Boone and I suppose a welcome to The Board is in order.

Any chance I can send a stock for you to add a leather covered pad?

Pictures of your work would be nice.

JC
Posted By: T. Boone Berlin Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 08:28 PM
Thanks JC, I have been lurking around for a while and make a post now and then, but I mostly just read...

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get any pictures of leather covered pads at this point. If you are interested in sending me a stock for a pad, feel free to email or call. I would love to talk to you about it!

Thanks!

Oh! and Pete, I'll try to get some pix of my other work up sooner or later. It's just a matter of making some time! Ken has done such a good job of helping me get my name out there it's just a matter of getting enough hours on the bench. Thanks
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 08:41 PM
To all, I have been fortunate in having Boone move just down the block from me. Because of this , I have had the oppertunity to see much of his work and am most impressed. He is finishing up a rifle for me soon and I have a 20 GHE, a 20e field LC Smith and a Sterlingworth in line for him to do when he can work me in. As an engraver, I'm pretty derned picky about detail & find Mr. Boone just the ticket for the quality I look for in a well done stock. You won't go wrong sending a commission to him & you'll be very pleased with his qual;ity & price. Ken
Posted By: JayCee Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 10:07 PM
T., I was just kidding.I am too far away to send you a stock. It could be done, but it
would be too much of a hassle. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Best,

JC
Posted By: CJO Re: leather covered pads - 01/26/08 10:10 PM
JC,....did you get the last email I sent you yesterday?

C
Posted By: JayCee Re: leather covered pads - 01/27/08 01:32 PM
Hi C,

Just saw it and answered it.

JC
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com