doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: cowtown New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 03:09 PM
Has anyone heard or read any reports or, for that matter, shot any of the new "Remington" premier shotguns?

I see they are made in Italy (almost look like they may be from F.A.I.R.). I took a look at one last evening and it looked nicer than I thought and the fit and finish seemed adequate (again, it is no high end shotgun from Europe).

Thanks!
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 03:22 PM
American built Ruger Red label hold up alot better!!!
All the best
Posted By: cowtown Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 03:31 PM
Thanks a ton!
I was just curious as to their origin.
I am saving my pennies for the up and coming Arms show in Calgary in March/April and will see what items are present at that time. Holt's auction house usually has some nice doubles to look at and sell to unsuspecting newbies like myself.

Again, thanks for your input.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 04:36 PM
just curious. precisely what do you use as a basis for saying they're "junk"? i've never owned an Italian gun that was junk or anywhere near it.

i've owned one red lable and while there was nothing wrong with it i was so totally underwhelmed i never considered buying another.

so how many of these italian remingtons have you fired, tested, handled, shot, hunted with, worked on, had to have worked on, known buddies who've owned, etcetc that allows such a qualitative statement as "they're junk"? throw some backup data in there. otherwise your statement isn't worth the electrons used in making it appear on screen.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 04:47 PM
I don't know why I'd buy an Izzi Rizzi from Remmy, but the comparison to a RRL deserves the flame.

Cowtown, I think you should compare the Remington quality and prices to Berreta, not a pressure treated 4x4
Posted By: erik meade Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 05:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Yeti
I don't know why I'd buy an Izzi Rizzi from Remmy...

Sabatti. The "Remington" is made by Sabatti.

I'd prefer a 28ga Red Label myself.
Posted By: cowtown Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 05:33 PM
I have seen a lot of personal opinions of what these shotguns 'might' be like, but I have not yet heard from anyone who has actually shot one.

I, again, appreciate the opinions, however strong they are. I will throw in my 2 cents worth and say that I am not a fan of Rugers. They are quite capable, but they are not to my liking. That does not make them junk or poorly made....I just simply prefer a Browning or Beretta over the Ruger.

Now, and this was addresed earlier in the year so let's not re-hash it, if Remington could get their head wrapped around the idea of re-issuing the 3200, and in a sub-gauge version, then I think this 'conversation' would be going a different direction.

The fact is that Remington obviously feels it is better economics to outsource the build of a double gun and focus their local efforts on rifles and repeating shotguns.

Anyway, that was overly long-winded, so I will conlude that it is great to hear the varied points of view from this forum.

Thanks again.
Posted By: rwmckee Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 05:34 PM
so now i'm a fool simply because i often buy stuff that's not made in America. gotcha. i now know all i need to know about you.

you live in GA abt 20 yrs ago? was a guy once at a gun show who picked up a japanese browning off my table. looked at it. said "d--- jap junk!" and literally threw it back down. breeding shows. we discussed that briefly and he didn't misunderstand anything i said.

you know, calling someone a fool - or anything else - under those circumstances is completely unnecessary. you have nothing whatsoever of qualitative value to back anything up that you say. it's just a dogmatic POV. your claim is still irrational. you might not like it because it's made elsewhere but that still doesn't make it junk.

and if we follow your logic, since cowtown is in alberta, he should be buying a canadian made shotgun instead of an RRL that's a piece of junk simply because it's not made in canada.
Posted By: Pinduck Re: New from Remington??? *DELETED* - 01/11/08 05:43 PM
Post deleted by Pinduck
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 10:41 PM
"just curious. precisely what do you use as a basis for saying they're "junk"? i've never owned an Italian gun that was junk or anywhere near it.

i've owned one red lable and while there was nothing wrong with it i was so totally underwhelmed i never considered buying another.

so how many of these italian remingtons have you fired, tested, handled, shot, hunted with, worked on, had to have worked on, known buddies who've owned, etcetc that allows such a qualitative statement as "they're junk"? throw some backup data in there. otherwise your statement isn't worth the electrons used in making it appear on screen."

REMINGTON, AMERICA'S OLDEST GUN IMPORTER. Since they've changed their policies it's about time they changed their motto(REMINGTON, AMERICA'S OLDEST GUNMAKER). Anyone who really knows very much about shotguns(or anything else) can tell quality by looking at the product. The idea that one should not be allowed to offer an opinion on something without buying one is pure nonsense. Most of what any of us write here is just opinions. That's what the forum is all about. How many Sabatti Remingtons have YOU owned?
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: New from Remington??? - 01/11/08 10:50 PM
Scuze Erik, I thought the 3 Chicks bought Sabatti too. My bad.
-------------
BTW, here's the Cabela's Fausti 28" 20 g for $1300 US
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: New from Remington??? - 01/12/08 12:12 AM
I've deleted the offending post(s) and offer my apologies to my friend in Texas AND my good friend Yeti!!!!!!!!
I guess we just had about enough of the fighting on this great board.
All the best
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: New from Remington??? - 01/12/08 12:45 AM
Treb, Ruger Red Label talk always brings out the pitchforks and torches. Apologies back atcha!
Posted By: Peter B. Re: New from Remington??? - 01/12/08 01:43 AM

you live in GA abt 20 yrs ago? breeding shows.

If fnb25 an Mr. Chambers can lay off the Georgia comments we may all be able to live in harmony.
Posted By: erik meade Re: New from Remington??? - 01/12/08 06:37 AM
Yeti,

That Cabelas gun looks like a better deal. Has anyone ever handled one?

I can't keep all those Italian underlug guns straight. Is Fausti one of the Rizzini's ? Does Sabatti have a connection with any Rizzini? Which of them makes the receivers for Ceasar Guerini? Or is that Fabarms?

Is there a chart that keeps this all straight somewhere?
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: New from Remington??? - 01/12/08 01:46 PM
I'd like a big chart too.
The Fausti is the same as the Izzy Rizzini (F.A.I.R.) which they did buy.

I THINK Sabatti makes the O/U frames and possibly the barrels for all of them; Rizzini B, CG, Fausti, and others. How else can they be so identical? And it fits into the old manufacturing model that is so successful for the gunmakers in Italy.

I did take a very very close look at the in-the-white Sabatti O/U set Galazan's is selling. It's indistinguishable from the sideplated CGs and Rizz B's. I wish I'd brought a dial caliper, next time up there I'll try to remember.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: New from Remington??? - 01/13/08 01:55 AM
I've always liked guns from Italy - but - Marlins new LCS - bought two of them, one for the wife and one for me. IMHO it was a big mistake. The 20ga for my wife- she couldn't open or close it without a great effort and the trigger pull was more than 10 pounds. The ejector springs looked like they belonged on a pick-up so I removed them. Also spent an afternoon getting the trigger pull to about 4 1/2 pounds. I must say that mine was alright , but I wouldn't buy another one. Also, her single trigger didn't work right, that took another hour to correct. I don't blame anyone but myself - you get what you pay for, and $1400 isn't enough for a good new SxS. Paul
Posted By: cowtown Re: New from Remington??? - 01/17/08 09:10 PM
I guess what I have really enjoyed about being on this forum is the variety of opinions offered and the fact that most of us are rather passionate as to the double guns we own, have shot, or wish to shoot.

Nothing will ever compare to a Purdey, H&H, AyA, Parker, LC Smith, Fox, etc. The fact is that some of todays doubles may be made better, but they lack the nostalgia and historical significance of these older beloved doubles.

Tradition plays a large part in this, too. There is no other feeling than taking out an old double into the field and bringing back your quarry. It is a wonderful feeling.

I do hope that someone does have the opportunity to shoot one of these new Remington shotguns and can take the time to offer up an editorial as to how they perceive its perfomance and appearance.

Again, thanks to one and all.
Posted By: dogdigger Re: New from Remington??? - 01/18/08 12:52 AM
I have a Sabatti made OU and SxS 12ga charles daly shotgun as my modern field grade set. They have been great. Some day I will refinish the plain wood but they don't need it right now. They fit me very well and I have $1100 into both.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com