doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ed Pirie The American Shotgun. Charles Askins book - 01/10/08 02:12 PM
My son is a book collector like I am. He happened to visit a local library's book sale recently and picked up a book he thought I would be interested in. The book is The American Shotgun by Charles Askins. It has a 1910 copyright and this particular edtion was reprinted in 1930 by the MacMillan Company in New York. This is a great book. It seems to address many of the questions and topics that find their way to this forum. Probably many of you are familiar with this book, but it is a new find to me. I have to tell you that I am really delighted with it. Maybe this book has been more recently reprinted since 1930. If it has not, it should be.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont
Having grown up totally torn between the writings of the two Idaho scribes -- Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith, I'm now a big fan of the writings of Askins Sr. Don't much care for Jr. The American Shotgun is the first of his books I got. I now also have Modern Shotguns and Loads, Game Bird Shooting, Shotgun-ology, and a slew of Western Cartridge Co. pamphlets on their Super-X shotgun shells that he wrote. The Captains tie in with the development of the Super-Fox I've had since I was 17, doesn't hurt either.

You might find this lengthy thread from Shotgun World on Capt Askins Superposed interesting --

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124719
Askins the elder achieved the rank of major. he may have been a captain when some of the books were written. i think it's customary to refer to officers by the rank they ultimately attained.

i must be one of the few people who actually likes askins the younger. provided i'm reading what he actually wrote instead of what his editors changed it to.
I have no way of knowing whether this book is the work of the elder or junior Askins. The title page and copyright are in the name of "Charles Askins," no military rank indicated. Perhaps the original copyright of 1910 would determine which Askins is the author. I mean no disrespect by not referring to a military rank as I am not aware of the proper rank of the author or whether this book is written by the non-rank bearing Askins.
A "junior" or "senior" is not indicated in the book.

Anyway, for those of you familiar with this work, I am sure you would agree that it is helpful and is a good resource. Like I said, I am tickled with this find.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont
The American Shotgun was written before Charles Askins Sr was in the service in WW-I and achieved the rank of Captain. I'm not sure when he was promoted to Major. Did he do some service in WW-II as well?
Col. Charles Askins (October 28, 1907 - March 2, 1999) Havent found dates for Pop yet.
If you believe what you think you read, the Colonel was never anything else. It is possible that Colonel Askins entered the military at an advanced rank because of his position in the gun world. This was a rather common situation in wartime. I think the Colonel entered the military at an advanced stage of his career judging from discussion that took place on the shotgunworld thread discussing the discovery of his father's Super in a Texas gun store. Some time ago, I created a time line for Townsend Whelen's rise through the ranks, discussed at some length on some gun forum. It would take your breath away until you realize that his position in the "gun world" put him in a unique position of leadership in the WW1 era, probably similar to Colonel Askins' situation in WW2. Regardless of protocol about rank and title, Major Askins is often referred to as The Captain since many of his writings in the gun press were written when he wore two bars.
The son was in the border patrol before his army career and was also a serious competitive pistol shooter it wouldnt suprise me if he entered the army with the rank of Colonel during WW2, he was also in Nam before that conflict got busy. The father was by far the better writer and owned the same 10ga NID as Elmer Keith he was more of a shotgun guy although Jr did like spanish shotguns.
Ed,

I've had a copy of this book for many years, and there's lots of good stuff there. I know you will enjoy it; good find!

Fin
Being a fan of the 16 gauge here is my favorite Askins Senior quote:

"For my own use, if I could own but one gun, that one would be a 16 bore, 6-3/4 pounds weight, 30 inch barrels, one barrel modified and the other full choke, and I'd be liable to say, 'Get thee behind me Satan for you cannot tempt me any further."

That was from Modern Shotguns and Loads

Best,

Mike
I am familiar with this book as I have what is very probably a first edition. Mr. Askins, the senior, lived in Oklahoma near or in the town of Ames. Askins Jr. was born in 1907 so the author of this book had to be Askins Sr. My grandfather, John Overton Hughes, was a friend of Mr. Askins and is featured in pictures in the latter part of the book in the chapters on wing shooting.
My grandfather field tested Winchester shotguns during the early part of the 20th century as well as raising championship pointers. My father also knew both the senior and junior Askins.
The book I have is one given to my grandfather by Askins. It is rather worn but interesting to peruse
Rockne - WELCOME on your first post smile

Wikipedia

Charles Askins, Jr. (October 28, 1907 – March 2, 1999), also known as Col. Charles "Boots" Askins, was an American lawman, US Army officer, and writer.[1] He served in law enforcement (US Forest Service and Border Patrol) in the American Southwest prior to the Second World War.[2] Askins was the son of Major Charles "Bobo" Askins, a sports writer and Army officer who served in the Spanish American War and World War I.[3]

Great book. Here it is free for download in many formats:

http://archive.org/details/americanshotgun00aski

Nice that it's public domain.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: The American Shotgun. Charles Askins book - 01/16/13 04:21 AM
Col.Askins was also a man you did not want to cross. Read his book "Unrepentant Sinner" to see what I mean.
DN: I don't have the dates for Major Askins, either.
Col Askins (the son) wrote in his "The Shotgunner's Book" (Stackpole 1958) on page 126 - "Major Askins, my father, died when he was 86 and hunted until the last few months of his death."
Col. Askins (the son) wrote for "The American Rifleman" magazine for a number of years. In one article he wrote about the last several years of his father's life and implying the father had been poorly treated. I can't remember if the father's birth or death date was mentioned in that article....but it's a lead.
After Col. Askins made his "born again Baptist" quip, I never saw him in The American Rifleman again. The editor should have taken the fall too, for letting it get into print. I gifted my complete American Rifleman collection, so I no longer have acccess to find the article.
In April 1992, Wolfe Publishing Company reprinted "Modern Shotguns and Loads" by Captain Charles Askins.
I reached into my bookcase and pulled out a tattered copy of Guns & Ammo, June 1976. The Col. Askins was the "Shooting Editor" under Elmer Keith, who was the Executive Editor.
It is a great book and should be a "must have" in any serious library. For those with the electronic ability it is available electronically on Google Books, as so many other great shooting books are. I stiller prefer paper but this beats not having them at all.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com