doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dave Weber OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/17/07 01:36 PM
Finished my hunting this year with a nice doe during shotgun season...and a 6 point buck last evening with the .54 caliber muzzle loader I built from kit.

It was snowing and blowing and cold too! Just about to call it a night when a party of four crossed in front of me (I was on the ladder heading down)...two bolted and two kept coming. At 60 yards they turned slightly...I only had one shot so I picked the biggest one and snapped the cap. He never took a step...dropped like a rock!

I was amazed how effectivce 100 grains of Pyrodex RS a 230 grain round lead ball can be (fired it up with a musket cap.)

Mel with Doe...

There is another picture of the buck attached to the link below...

Mel with buck - A tradition...Mel likes to have her picture taken with all the deer I get!

Posted By: JohnM Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/17/07 01:47 PM
Dang!! You'dthink it was winter out there in Joisy. Those old roundball loads are effective indeed. That's certainly plenty of Oomph, and congrats as well on having a Mel. That's quite a reward, in itsownself. ;~`)
Posted By: PeteM Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/17/07 01:51 PM
Dave,

Congratulations! Very nicely done. From a ladder no less.

Let take this opportunity to say, "Thanks" for this forum. Some times we step over a line, some times we don't remember to treat every one with the respect they deserve. But on the whole, you have created a wonderful place where information can be shared and a few stories told. You have attracked many who are generous with their knowledge. I doubt we comprehend how much work is involved on your part to keep this all going.

Pete
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 04:25 AM
Dave,

Late afternoon of the last day of the muzzle loader season?

Great way to finish and with a buck that managed to get thru the early archery season, the gun season and the last day of ML.

Congratulations.

And many thanks for what you do for all of us here on the forum.

And Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays.

Bill Jolliff
Posted By: Kerryman Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 08:21 AM
Congratulations Dave. Great post.
Now I know what keeps you sane through all the BS!
Km.
Posted By: Dave K Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 12:05 PM
Nice shot Dave,
so much better when they drop in their tracks(had to track the one I shot this year for hours).Where did you hit him?
Always good to see others who enjoy deer hunting and add that tasty venison to the freezer and tablefare.

Also add thanks for keeping the best board the best !

Dave K
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 12:28 PM
Good Hunt! Good Shot! Merry Christmas...Thanks
Posted By: slate Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 02:46 PM
Dave, Another story for the memory bank - Congratulations! I would add that your creation and management of this BBS has been and continues to be a much appreciated element in my enjoyment of guns and hunting. God Bless You and Your Family - Merry Christmas. "Slate"
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Jolly Bill
Dave,

Late afternoon of the last day of the muzzle loader season?

Actually today is the last day of Muzzleloader in NY, I'm heading out for the afternoon to see if I can fill a tag myself. Nice going Dave, hope I can do as well, hell I'll be happy with a fat doe.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 04:11 PM
Got this doe at 30 yd last Tuesday with a .475 inline my dad built in the '50's from an old Larsen military rifle. Ball broke a rib on the way in just behind the shoulder and came out 8 inches in front of the rear leg on the other side and she still ran 150 yd before going down. Note the soft brown eyes........ha ha.
Posted By: Fred Lowe Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 04:15 PM
Dave,
Congratulations!
Thank you for this website, I do get quite a kick out of reading this daily.
Merry Christmas and Best Wishes, to you and your family for the upcoming year!
Posted By: Steve Meyer Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/18/07 04:28 PM
Nice going Dave! Must be something in the stars, took my first game with a patched round ball this year too. Thanks for the pictures and all you do to keep this place running!
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/19/07 04:44 AM
Recoil Rob,

Yep, you're right. Last day of muzzleloading season in NY was today, Tuesday, the 18th of Dec.

I'm thinking of when it used to end several years ago, on a Sunday with the archery season closing the following Tuesday.

Bill Jolliff
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/19/07 04:55 AM
Didn't make a difference today Bill. I went out this afternoon but there was a 1" crust on top of the snow, what a racket trying to move through the woods. I decided to get to a spot where I might get a shot, got there as fast as I could and didn't worry about the noise. Sat for a few hours and enjoyed the last afternoon of the season, wasn't bothered by any deer. Next year...
Posted By: SKB Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/19/07 12:55 PM
I grew up not far from where Dave lives, in Livingston county. My favorite time of year is deer season in Western NY. I miss hunting with family, being late for Thanksgiving dinner and all the rest. I have finally found a place out west to hunt Whitetails again. Really superb sport, and front stuffers make it even more fun.
Steve
Posted By: Alex Johnson Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/19/07 10:42 PM
Nice deer. This one also fell to a .54 roundball with 110 grains of RS. It stood broadside to me at 90 yards and the ball took it square in the shoulder and was recovered just under the skin on the opposite side. The deer fell in its tracks. This was back in mid November and the weather was unusually warm for this time of year, generally we have snow by this time.

Posted By: Roy Eckrose Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/20/07 12:14 AM
Congratulations, Dave. I prefer my venison sausage with just a touch of garlic!!

Roy
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/20/07 05:14 AM
SKB,

Just curious where in Livingston County you grew up.

I was born in Dansville and spent my early years there. Most of my relatives live/lived there and that's where I still do my bow hunting. Have bow hunted one property 46 years. The grand daughter owns it now.

Bill Jolliff
Posted By: Dave K Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/20/07 12:01 PM
The snow sure helps,got mine this season on during our first snowstorm.Our 4th one is going on now,going to be a tough winter for the deer this season.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Posted By: SKB Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/20/07 01:26 PM
Jolly Bill,
I graduated from Livonia High school, but the family farm sits just outside Mt. Morris on rt 36. My uncle lives on it now. Do you know any of the Bertram boys? They would be my uncles and pops.
Steve
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: OT - Deer Season Wrap up. - 12/21/07 03:53 AM
Steve,

I'm guessing that if the family farm is on route 36 just outside Mt. Morris, (Best Town by a Dam Site), it would be south of town towards Dansville.

I don't know any Bertrams there. Quite a bit of those farms I think are owned, or leased, by Myron Brady, Red Kennedy or Cipriano, at least on the east side of Rt 36 on the flats. I casuualy knew a Ken Bertram who lived in Rochester. His age would be about 60 +/-.

When did you leave this area for Colorado? My wife and I drove thru Boulder 4 years ago on a very nice trip thru Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

Bill Jolliff
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com