doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy 20ga Ithaca Flues - 11/30/07 02:15 PM
I thought my Fox fetish would keep me preoccupied but I've found a 20ga Ithaca Flues (1 1/2) that is awfully tempting. I've heard about these lightweights having trouble with frame cracking but that it was limited to a certain production era/set of serial numbers. Unfortunately, I do not have the serial# of the gun I'm looking at. Are there any physical characteristics that would help identify production era? Is this really a concern with the appropriate loads?

The gun in question is just under 6lbs with 26" bbls. I've seen some as light as 5lbs 4ozs with 28" bbls. Thanks.
Posted By: B Frech Re: 20ga Ithaca Flues - 11/30/07 03:01 PM
My first double as a very young teenager was a 20 ga. Flues that weighed in at about 5 1/2 pounds. It had in excess of 3" drop in the stock. Not knowing any better, I shot 1 oz. loads in it exclusively. Never had any problems, except my shoulder and cheek. I have owned 3 more since then that I shot 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads in. Never a problem with these either, but I wish I had my first one back. I have seen a couple of photos of Flues' that had cracked frames, but God only knows what was shot in them to crack them. I've never seen a cracked frame in person, either my own or anyone elses. I would not hesitate to shoot appropriate loads in any Flues in good condition.
Posted By: Researcher Re: 20ga Ithaca Flues - 11/30/07 04:20 PM
The No. 1 1/2 was dropped from the line in 1919, so the gun in question was likely made in the first ten years of Flues production. Most No. 1 1/2 guns had Damascus barrels, with the the 1 1/2 only getting steel barrels the last couple of years it was offered. Early on the No. 1 1/2 had the dog and legend roll-stamped on the sides of the frame with some zig-zag border engraving, then in mid-1915 it got the bold floral engraving. After Ithaca phased out composite barrels the Nos. 1, 1 Special and 1 1/2 were combined in 1919 as the new No. 1 with the bold floral engaving and steel barrels. Throughout this time frame the regular chambering for the Ithaca 20-gauge doubles was 2 1/2 inch. Every cracked frame Flues I've handled has been pre 1920 and a light weight 20- or 28-gauge. IMHO these early very light weight Flues smallbores are a poor choice for a gun to be shot on a regular basis.
Posted By: MyGSPIzzy Re: 20ga Ithaca Flues - 11/30/07 10:47 PM
It would be a part-time grouse and woodcock gun so the volume of shooting would be relatively low. This one has steel barrels and the floral engraving so it sounds like a later production gun but still pre-1920.

Researcher, what do the frames look like on the post 1920 No.1s? I'm a newbie to Ithacas and generally view them as the early "boat" style frame and the later NID frame.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 20ga Ithaca Flues - 12/01/07 12:10 AM
Greg Tag may be along to post his views on Flues frame failures. I think in at least a couple cases, the shells in question were of the el cheapo, "promotional" variety commonly sold for $4/box or less at places like Wal-Mart. They're "light" in that they're only 7/8 oz, but velocity (and pressure) aren't light, because they need to make dirty autoloaders function properly.

I passed on a Flues 20 at a gun show last weekend, and it's still haunting me a bit. Unusually nice condition, Field Grade, but an ejector gun. 28" barrels. And, fairly unusual for a Flues, it had shootable stock dimensions. Still had the factory 2 1/2" chambers. I reload 20's, so I could've worked up light 3/4 or 7/8 oz reloads and probably had myself a pretty nice occasional grouse and woodcock gun--but I also have some 28's, which kept me from digging into my pocket for the green.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com