doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Greg Tag Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/15/07 03:36 AM
For those of you who have inquired about Hunter's Bismuth shot , pricing and shipping info.

The shot dripping process works and large scale commercial production is in sight. Unfortunately, the "drip though a nozzle" method is patented, and before production can start in earnest, a license must be procured from the patent owner. Hunter's Bismuth is also preparing to submit a patent application for an alternative manufacturing process as well.

Hunter's Bismuth will provide more information as events occur.

Regards

GKT
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/15/07 03:41 AM
Thanks for the info and keep us posted, as I assume for others, we are like Pavlov's dogs waiting on more.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/15/07 11:34 AM
Good news...now lets hope they don't break it off in us with the price.
This is encouraging news. With so many public areas now requiring non-lead shot I had come to rely on bismith shot as an all-around load. I'm not sold on the idea of needing non-lead shot unless for hunting in a marsh where ducks can actually get at the stuff to ingest into their crops, but we seem to be stuck with more and more areas where lead is not allowed anyhow. I like the idea of bismuth shot becoming available again.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/17/07 09:05 PM
Looking at their website it's available only if you want to make it...

http://www.huntersbismuth.com/home.html
Posted By: slate Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/17/07 09:22 PM
HJ, Buy the spherical bismuth/tin pellets. Melt or not remelt - you decide. I'd add a smiley face if I could.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/17/07 09:31 PM
Other than their patent infringement disclaimer, what would be the issue in ordering several sizes and pattern them as shot. Useful info in your post HomelessjOe.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Why can't we swage pellets out of wire?
Posted By: I. Flues Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/18/07 01:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Why can't we swage pellets out of wire?

Where can you get Bismuth wire?

Mike Doerner
You would have to make it, of course. It's metal, force it through a die. Certainly a process could be designed to make shot sized pellets without 'dropping' them. Make wire, cut it, and swage it in a die. Repeat.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/18/07 04:27 AM
Last price I saw on Bismuth was 14.09 per pound. Unless it has changed a lot any Bismuth shot will have to be near $20.00 a pound unless they bought Bismuth in bulk when prices were much lower.

I bought 150 pounds of Bismuth at $7.00 per pound three years ago. Wish I had bought a hundred tons. My attempts to make my own have been only a partial success to date. With 30 pounds of the factory made Bismuth on hand I will wait until next year before I get around to making anymore. By then either the price will have dropped or maybe one or two makers will be making it for a reasonable price. If not then the adventure begins again.

I wish Huntersbismuth all the good luck in the world. I would much rather buy than make it on my own.
Posted By: Greg Tag Re: Hunter's Bismuth non-toxic shot Info - 09/18/07 04:32 AM
Shotgun:

Bismuth is not very ductile. It does not extrude well.

I must confess, however, not to have tried that approach. I do not have a trip hammer or a forging die in my garage, where I have conducted all the other experiments. Perhaps someone else has tried it.

Regards

GKT
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com