doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Anton Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 01:04 AM
Gentlemen: I have found a Kawaguchiya SxS that I am interested in. It is an Anson & Deeley boxlock in 12 gauge, field grade with minimal engraving. It has seen little use. The frame is case hardened and retains 90% of its colours. Straight grip, splinter fore end and double triggers with (approximately) 28 inch barrels. The walnut has a pleasing grain which curves down toward the toe. The stock is equipped with a ventilated rubber butt pad which looks original, but I am not sure. The gun looks like a carbon copy of a Birmingham boxlock. "Kawaguchiya Firearms Company" is engraved on the rib, with little else to identify it.

Fjestad, the Blue Book and the internet have info regarding the Kawaguchiya U/O's and auto's but nothing on the SxS's.

Does anyone know anything about these guns? When were they produced? Any ideas as to value? Anything else I should know?

Thank you in advance for any info or opinions you have to offer.

Anton
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 03:15 AM
It sounds like Sakaba-made 'Royal' which was a copy of Webley & Scott 700 a wonderful Jap gun in 6.5lb weight range.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 03:21 AM
Page 110, of Carder's book "SxSsof the World for Y2K shows "Kawacuachiya"(not correct spelling of any Japanese name). Japanese copies of the English Cogswell shotguns.
I think the Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. has gone fulltime into the fried chicken franchise business. Seriously, it's probably an OK SxS. If it looks well made ans feels good in your hands and the price is reasonable, buy it.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 01:06 PM
Does it look anything like this Miroku? These were sold under their own name and by Charles Daly, Western Field, and in the mid 60's, Kawaguchiya. both this one or the SKB mentioned by Jagermeister are, IMO, good solid guns. These off brand Mirokus may be one the last 'deals' out there. I'd like a 30" 12 ga Western Field.

Posted By: Anton Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 05:09 PM
Thank you, gents. I had no idea that the Japanese manufacturers shared models between brand names. I understand that a Miroku might be a Charles Daly, but not that an SKB might be a Kawaguchiya. Deep fried or not, the description of a Webley & Scott or Cogswell clone is closer to this KFC gun than the Miroku pictured (or any Browning BSS I have seen). As for the mid sixties time frame, that is quite possible although I would have guessed late fifties. I will post pictures of the gun as soon as I can lay my hands on it (private sale, elderly owner, it might take a couple of days). Thanks again.

Anton
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 06:53 PM
I don't think an SKB could be a Kawaguchiya, but I might be wrong. I think Kawaguchiya is the name of the company that made (and makes) Mirokus. Miroku first started out marketing guns they called "My Luck"--the Japanese version of which is Miroku (to which they changed when "My Luck" didn't seem to resonate with American buyers). I owned a Kawaguchiya very much like the gun you describe--so marked on the barrel--but "Miroku Model M" was marked on the underside of the receiver.

Charles Daly, of course, is simply the name of an American importer--the name having changed hands a few times since it first appeared in the late 19th century. And likewise, Charles Daly shotguns have been imported from a bunch of different countries and companies. My count might be off, but I can come up with six different countries that have produced shotguns bearing the Charles Daly name. In more or less chronological order: Germany, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Spain, Turkey.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 10:24 PM
I thought KFC was absorbed by or molted into Kodensha, but I could be wrong...I know KFC was right in Tokyo...is Kodensha in Tokyo?

Anyway KFC made mostly single shot shotguns...hammer and hammerless...extractor or ejector, including some finely engraved single barrel trap guns.

They also made at least three different boxlock doubles...the highest grade of the three has a Purdy bolt.

the middle grade has a grip helico

the lowest has no rib extension.

all three could be had with ejectors.

What is the model designation of the gun in question please?

They also made 2 types of 101 type over under shotguns...the trap and skeet gun, or the hunting model...both were hand engraved, with the same 101 selective trigger and ejectors..

In my opinion, if this company followed the design leads of any other company, my guess is Verney Carron
Posted By: tw Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/03/07 11:39 PM
The two O/U KFC guns that I have seen looked exactly like the 101 Winchesters, but with generally more engraving and of the same or better quality. I was told that both were high grade guns. Those made very late 50's. Its been a long time ago. I have seen one KFC SxS and that one did not look like a Miroku. No idea as to model or when made, but it was a case colored B/L w/action side sculpted. I can't recall if it was scolloped or straight.

FWIW, Jaqua had a KFC for sale within the last couple of years, but I don't recall the configuration or specs., only remember seeing it on the list.
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/04/07 02:30 AM
Interesting. I have a KFc marked O/U made by Miroku; a 20 ga model OS. Definitely not a 101 style.
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/04/07 02:39 AM
Forgot to mention...some KFC SxSs are marked "Hibiki"
Posted By: Robert Chambers Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/04/07 05:12 PM
OK...I found an unvarifiable reference to the Kodensha 101 factory being in Tochigi,Japan...and...B.C. Miroku was. established in the city of Kochi, on. the southern Japanese island of. Shikoku...That doesn't help much, as I'm sure KFC was right in Tokyo
Posted By: TexasGerd Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/04/07 05:35 PM
Anton, you may want to confirm it wasn't a Kinnamaru (forgive my spelling). These are much better made then KFCs and pre-war guns. They are based on a webley 700 design and very nice.

Any how, Japanese S/S are still under rated IMHO compared to what we are getting out of Turkey right now.
Posted By: cowtown Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/05/07 04:23 PM
Anton,
I have seen a beautiful Kawaguchia before, probably around 7+ years ago during the time when everybody was bailing on their long guns due to the impending registry here in Canada.

The one I saw had light wood, but fantastic figuring and grain, nice engraving, not plain, and the barrels were 28" long with real tight on the left and wide open on the right. It had a straight stock and a splinter forend, but I don't recall the butt plate/recoil pad.

When you do get it, it will be great to see some pics.

Cheers,

Chris
Posted By: Franchi Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/05/07 05:43 PM

Hi Chris:

Where do you live in Alberta?

I lived there back in the 70's.

Franchi
Posted By: cowtown Re: Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. SxS - 09/05/07 05:54 PM
I am in sunny, yet bursting at the seems, Calgary now.'
Alberta is pretty big, where did you reside?
Posted By: Anton Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/08/07 01:18 AM
Finally, pics of the Kawaguchiya. On second inspection, it does bear a strong resemblance to the Miroku. The case hardening is not as vibrant a blue as my photo's seem to show.

Anton
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/08/07 01:04 PM
Anton,
Nice clean gun. Double under bolts and chopper lumps. It's nearly identical to Miroku model 500s I've seen - the engraving is exactly the same except what's written in the ribbon. The 500s I've seen aren't color cased and don't have the classic A&D set screws near the hinge pin that yours does - for the cocking dogs. Miroku regularly changed their designs.

Is it an ejector model? Model ME ?
Posted By: Anton Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/08/07 04:11 PM
Yeti, thanks. It is an ejector, as evidenced by the second last picture. She weighs in at a hair under 6 1/2 lbs. (103.5 oz.). The LOP is a little short for me, I am going to have to add a spacer between the stock and the pad. Other than that, I am very happy with her - nice balance and pointability, quick response.

Anton
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/08/07 05:20 PM
Anton, what you have there is almost a dead twin to the Kawaguchiya-marked Miroku Model M I owned. Mine was an extractor gun, yours has ejectors, Model ME--makes perfect sense to me!

Wish I'd never gotten rid of that gun. Factory choked IC/IM. It was a great pheasant gun.
Posted By: Ken Hurst Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/08/07 05:50 PM
Now y'all have peaked my interest ---- how much $ do these ejector guns go for in say 20 ga. ? Ken
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/11/07 12:25 PM
Ken,
Demand for these guns is pretty low, but the supply is very low. They sell in the $450-$850 depending on buyer and seller. Finding an ejector model is a bit of luck. Look for Miroku, Charles Daly, Western Field and Kawaguchiya brand names. Note: Charles Daly switched their SxS manufacturing to Pride of Spain around 1974.

Anton, it took me a while to "see" the evidence of ejectors
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Kawaguchiya Pictures - 09/11/07 12:36 PM
Ken, you'd have a heck of a time finding one. The vast majority of the Miroku sxs I've seen have been extractor guns. Pretty basic but well-made and reliable. I've seen a couple Miroku sidelocks as well--essentially the same gun as the Browning BSS Sidelock. But one of those was definitely an extractor gun and the other may have been too, don't recall for sure. Most of the boxlocks I've seen have also had the PG/BT combination. The 12ga Model M I had was exactly like Anton's, straight and splinter (but no ejectors)--looked just like a basic Birmingham game gun. But I have never seen a 20ga in that configuration.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com