doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: CMWill OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/19/07 10:45 PM
I am in search of any information regarding high grade Browning A5 production. Pictures will be posted tomorrow to help figure out exactly what grade the A5 is. Specs will also be listed with the pictures. Anything, such as when and how many were made, where I can find out more about it, etc etc is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/20/07 03:45 PM
I guess there are not a lot of production figures for graded guns in Shirley and Vanderlinden. Nice pictures, though.
Posted By: CMWill Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 12:41 AM
Here are the pics. The gun is a Browning A5, 16 gauge 2 9/16" chambers, 25 1/2" factory bbl choked skeet, serial number is 81xxx. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(click thumbnails to enlarge)

Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 12:53 AM
Have you searched Eastman, Shirley, and contacted the Browning historian? I don't know how to contact FN's historian but I would like to know that.
Posted By: topgun Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 01:02 AM
I don't recall any high-grade A-5 production records from Matt Eastman's book; and I'm doing this grade guestimation from memory; but this gun looks like an early Grade III (I can't see any gold; but gold inlays would make this gun a Grade IV). Early A-5's were produced in four cataloged grades; the Grade I had absolutely no engraving (just roll-stamped maker's name and address), the Grade II was engraved in a fashion virtually identical to A-5's produced after WW II with flourishes of scroll, the Grade III featured scroll and game scenes (dogs and birds, and the examples I have seen had very nicely figured/colored English walnut stocks), and the Grade IV was the highest grade and featured intricate game scene engraving with gold inlay and gold wire borders. One characteristic of the Grade III gun was the engraved dog on the back side of the A-5 "hump"; old-timers referred to this figure as a "smiling dog". And although I don't recall high-grade production numbers, Eastman does date serial numbers so that you can determine the year of production.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 01:20 AM
The pictured gun doesn't seem to meet any of the standard grade criteria. Shirley and Vanderlinden picture many special order and factory presentation guns that may be more similar to the pictures. However, virtually none have names or numbers. The historian is the key to identifying the particular gun.
Posted By: CMWill Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 02:29 AM
after doing a google, I found this

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/guns/9903-9905.htm

Mine matches the bottom photo of the A5, well, closer then the top gun does at least. There must have been slight engraving/inlay differences between engravers or years of production?
Posted By: granite Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 12:44 PM
According to my 1930's Browning catalog this is a Grade IV.
Granite
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 01:31 PM
I have seen a couple of Auto 5's in a similar configuration. The latest,a 16 gage plain barrel in dreadful condition. The engraving pattern differed slightly, with outlines around the edge of the receiver. I believe the dealer had it marked as a Type IV.

Regards,
Ken
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 01:43 PM
In the early Browning grading system this gun was referred to as a Grade VI. Reference Shirley/Vanderlinden, page 163.

In the later Browning grading system this was referred to as a Grade 4. Reference Shirley/Vanderlinden, page 139.

The serial number establishes that it was made in 1929 so I would tend to call it a Grade 4 as identified in the 1930 catalog mentioned earlier.

Also the checkering pattern is typical of the later (grade 4) style.

Wonderful gun, is there a story behind it?

Jeff
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 02:22 PM
Yup, Grade 4, pictured on cover of referenced book, unless the cover reference is incorrect and the page 163 reference is correct in calling it a Grade 6. I guess the catalog reference would trump the contradiction in the Shirley book. Either way, this gun is pictured both on page 163 and in color on the cover. The cover credit is on the back flyleaf.
Posted By: BOSUN Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 02:41 PM
This gun was made in 1930. The engraving and inlay is of yellow and green gold and matches the photo in my 1937 Browning catalog for a Grade IV gun. It is identical to the engraving on my 1935 16ga Grade IV.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 05:53 PM
Bill, no contradiction in S&V, just a timing issue. The gun pictured in this string is a Grade 4, had it been made in 1913 or so they would have called it a Grade VI.

Bosun, I'd love to see some pics of your 1935 gun!
Jeff
Posted By: Dave M. Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 06:40 PM
Check these out:
http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/guns/9903-9905.htm
Posted By: CMWill Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 07:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeff Mull
Wonderful gun, is there a story behind it?

Jeff

The gun has been in my family for many years. I cant tell you exactly how many, but its been in the safe for at least 40 years. I believe the gun was my grandfathers, but my mother nor older brothers can recall ever hearing where the gun came from. I thought it was a grade IV, but I dont have much Browning A5 data. I guess I know its a grade IV for sure now right! Anyways, thank you all for the help, its greatly appreciated. Out of curiousity, how many grades did Browning make? I dont believe Ive ever seen anything higher then a grade IV. Thanks again
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 07:28 PM
I believe that in the later system the highest grade was Grade V, it was a game scene engraved reciever with a French gray color.

I'd trade three of those for your Grade 4. I think the Belgian game scenes are pretty cartoonish.

Jeff
Posted By: Geno Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 08:54 PM
De Luxe Model Type VI is on pics.
No idea, when and how grade system has changed, but according to my catalog from 30-th from Belgium it's type VI.
The grading system was the following:

Standard Model
De Luxe Model Type I - deep ornamental scroll engraving
De Luxe Model Type II - deep ornamental scroll & leaf engraving
De Luxe Model Type III - deep scroll & leaf engraving Louis XV style
De Luxe Model Type IV - very beautifully engraved with Hunting scenes (birds and dogs)
De Luxe Model Type V - very beautifully and fine engraved with Hunting scenes (boar and hound dogs, birds)
De Luxe Model Type VI - very beautifully inlaid with real Gold
Posted By: Geno Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/23/07 08:58 PM
I have to add, this gun was the highest grade A-5 for all times.
Do not trade it for lower grade without any reasons.
You could trade it for 50%cc Purdey
Posted By: BOSUN Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/24/07 06:43 AM
The 1937,35,32 and 30 catalogs only list four grades. I have several high grade guns from the 1930's and a 1930's grade four has "gold inlay with green and yellow gold against a deep black finish".

I have several other A5s from that period with sales papers. # 798xx = 1930, # 1008xx = 1931, # 1660xx = 1935.
Posted By: Geno Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/24/07 08:56 AM
Maybe your catalogs are for the American market only. There are the book about Browning FN history, the answer is must be there.
My catalog of 1933/34 from Belgium.
Posted By: Jeff Mull Re: OT - High grade Auto5 info - 08/25/07 05:32 PM
I just pulled out an Abacrombie and Fitch catalog from 1932, the grade 4 is the gold inlay gun in the picture. they don't list a higher grade in tyhe catalog but that does not mean that one was not being made.

It sold for $235.25 in 1932.

To put this in perspective a AHE grade Parker was $497, a C grade was $251 and D's were $159

Jeff
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com