doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: J. Sappington Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 02:19 AM
There was a post on here a while back I think with the pressures on these load correct? Didn't Sherman Bell do an article on these? Any help on PSI of these loads?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 03:37 AM
They do have AAs that have low recoil, (I don't know about the low noise part) but usually they are set up by velocity: such as a heavy target load would go about 1250 feet per second. Then they have a light target load. The lighter load might be 2 3/4 DR EQ where the heavier target loads are 3 DR EQ. I think they even make an Ultra Lite Target load which would be a lighter load yet. So the lighter load would have less recoil.....Am I answering your question so far? The lighter load would have less recoil but you would be giving up FPS. But like I said, I have never heard of a low noise shell.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 05:05 AM
5950 PSI

http://gunshop.com/pdffiles/sherman_bell_072899.pdf

They are, in fact, low noise and low recoil and work for just about anything you want to shoot a shotgun at. I like 'em.
Posted By: WDouglas Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 10:35 AM
I've tried the low noise - low recoil AAs and the Xtra - Lite AAs back to back. Not scientifically, buy with attention to the results.

I find the Xtra - Lite are more consistent than the low noise - low recoil. I got about 25% "poofers" with the low noise - low recoil shells. They cycle a vey clean Beretta 391 anout 50% of the time. I got the same scores with both so the low noise - low recoil shells will break skeet targets if you point the gun right.

I also tried the Xtra - Lite back to back with the Competition shells from Clay Cartridge Company. I couldn't tell any difference.
Posted By: Rudy Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 03:40 PM
I like them also, I picked up two cases yesterday at Bass Schmo Shops,I'm calling them
Bass Schmo for selling me a treestand,that was advertised as and marked on the box as aluminum,
A friend picked it up who is not a hunter, when I loaded it in my truck it was rather obvious
that it was not.What was it Tom Chaney said in
True Grit "Why's everything always happen to me"
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 08:19 PM
Wow. That's a new one on me. What is the velocity of these? My computer won't open the Sherman Bell website video deal.
Posted By: Pat White Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 08:30 PM
I shoot them as well, and find them good. I believe advertised velocity is about 950 fps. It does take some adjusting on crossing shots if you have a tight pattern.
Posted By: Cush Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 08:32 PM
Quote:
I got about 25% "poofers" with the low noise - low recoil shells.
I have found that these loads work fine in bbls that have standard, short forcing cones but give you a lot of "poofers" in barrels that have long forcing cones.
Posted By: 775 Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 10:30 PM
Think I recall getting about 1030-1040fps out of un-altered 32" Ithaca/Krupp tubes...circa 1915.

Zero "poofs" outta 5-6 boxes.....and not all that "low noise" either, IMHO.

Best,
Mark
Posted By: CraigF Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 10:41 PM
Quote:
NOT THE FOREND.....BAD DOG!!!
LOL Thanks 775... made my day!

Craig
Posted By: eightbore Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 11:21 PM
It never occurred to me that the lack of barrel restriction was the cause of the bloopers in the very low powered AA shells that I have heard.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/19/06 11:28 PM
'Poofers' are also cold temp dependent.
I too found that they patterned tighter than the AA 1 oz. Xtra-light target loads in my .005 and .015 Trojan and left a great deal of residual in the brls.
Posted By: eeb Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/26/06 12:35 PM
These were on sale at the local Dick's, so I called Winchester to find out the PSI rating. Winchester rates them at 6,200 psi. As a comparison, I called Poly Wad and they rate their Vintager 2.5" 12 gauge shell at 6,500 to 7,000 psi.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Win AA Low Recoil Low Noise - 10/26/06 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: eeb
These were on sale at the local Dick's, so I called Winchester to find out the PSI rating. Winchester rates them at 6,200 psi. As a comparison, I called Poly Wad and they rate their Vintager 2.5" 12 gauge shell at 6,500 to 7,000 psi.

This is very good news........about the Winchester company, that is. A couple of years ago when I called them with the same question, they couldn't have been less interested. They would not give out that kind of info and stated bluntly that it was not public information. They must have had an some sort of an awakening that there are lots of us vintage shotgun enthusiasts who are concerned with pressure and that we are a market for these cartridges. "Market forces!"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com