doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: tudorturtle OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 12:41 AM
If you're up late and the skies are clear, take a peek.
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 02:21 AM
Hard to stay awake until midnite but I'm going to try.
Thank you for the reminder.
Posted By: griz Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 02:53 AM
If meteor watching is a bust, you can go to this site, record your location and get times that the International Space Station will be passing over your location. It is extra bright right now with the Shuttle Endeavor docked along side...
http://www.heavens-above.com/countries.aspx
Posted By: doubletrouble Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 06:49 PM
Was up at 11:30; 1:30; 3:00 and 4:30. Observed 1 at 3:12am. Oh well, I was up anyway!
Posted By: chux Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 08:16 PM
i did not see it at all!!
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 08:56 PM
I got up at 5 AM and went to look but only thing i saw was an armadillo running across the yard!
Posted By: CraigF Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/13/07 10:12 PM
I caugth one late Friday letting the dog out sometime around 1:00 AM
Bobby,

Did you kill that 'possum on a half shell?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/14/07 01:36 AM
Went out at 2am, saw one. It was cloudy in NY.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/14/07 03:00 AM
Stan, i was not armed!!! Bobby
Posted By: Deltaboy Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/14/07 03:24 AM
That same sob ran across my yard. I didn't know they were that quick:)
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/14/07 02:07 PM
I went out to see if it was a good show. I am a photographer and love to do night shots. Did not see a single meteor, but did get a nice view of the space station going over with the shuttle docked to it. It was definitely brighter than on a typical night.

A few months ago (don't remember when, but there was still snow on the ground, so that rules out the month of August here in northern MN) we got to see the space station fly overhead and rotate its solar panels. They called it an "irredium flare." It got exceptionally bright for about 5 seconds due to the light being delfected at us as the panels rotated. Pretty cool!

For anyone interested in astronomy stuff, here is a cool site I check every day. Always nice pics and some cool information,

daily astronomy picture link
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/17/07 12:17 AM
I saw two. During two different 20 minute periods starting at 12:00 and 1:20. I was laid out in the backyard in a "shady" corner surrounded by fence. Both streaks were directly overhead heading west.

I haven't posted 'cause I know the urge to call BS will be astronomical , but it's the truf. My wife saw the second one too...if that helps.

Two seen in Whitestone, NYC; where the sky is always kinda orange tinted and on clear moonless night the naked eye can see bright planets and about 3 dozen stars. Actually many more but it takes a while.

Posted By: builder Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/17/07 12:44 AM
Around 1966 I was in Wurtsboro, NY spending a week with my cousin and college roommate at the Uncle's house. My uncle was in England and we were taking advantage of the offer to use the house. It is located near the top of a small mountain near Yankee Lake - at least that is what the locals called it (Schultz's bar was on the lake. Great memories at the bar. You guys remember, you buy two drafts, or was it three, and then there was one on the house.)

Anyway, my cousin was and still is an astronomy nut and he convinced us to go on to the roof (Yea, that took about two seconds of convincing) to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. I remember it to this day. It was some show the likes of which I have never seen again. You could see the tail of sparkly behind the meteors which came at least one per minute. We heard a few also. I swear one of them must have hit the ground but we were not sure. I did not have enough sense to realize we could have been hit by one because there were so many and so close. It turns out my cousin is afraid of heights and when we said we had enough it took over an hour to get him down.

So Yeti, every year is different!

Best,
Milt
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/17/07 09:40 PM
I was in the Paradise valley in Montana on a fly fishing trip (Yellowstone river). Sunday night was clear. The shower was at its apex. My 12 ayear old son and I lay on our backs for a couple of hours from about 10 till after 12 and watched and talked just a little. One of the best nights of my life. Jake
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: OT- Perseid Meteor Showers tonight - 08/17/07 10:14 PM
In rural PA we stayed out all night on Sunday. What a show! We saw about 60 big fireballs all night. Best Perseid shower ever for us.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com