doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 03:28 PM
The 2024 Great Lakes regional side-by-side season has been launched with the completion of the 2024 Gentlemens cup event.

Unbelievably, 112 shooters showed up (most ever)!
It seemed a good time was had by all.
All the essential ingredients were there, with a few additional improvements, leaning into the future.
Easy online registration.
Smooth registration process at the clubhouse sign in table.
Good parking management.
Modest price.
100 targets, $50.00 including lunch.

And most importantly, a cool, but dry day to play outside.

The eventual (but not unexpected) trap break downs were addressed about as fast as they could be, with a MEC rep on site for the unexpected stuff. And a dedicated team of volunteers to keep carousels full, and weak batteries replaced.

The 2024 Great Lakes regional shooting season looks to be a very busy one, with 6 to 8 upcoming events scheduled throughout the region.

I haven’t seen that many in 30 years, and I was blown away that 100+ shooters showed up Saturday with the intention of enjoying their shotguns.

That is incredible, and portends good things (I hope) for lovers of vintage sxs shotguns going forward.

It looks to be a busy summer for the SxS crowd around Michigan.

Well done Don !
Posted By: rtw Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 04:40 PM
Glad that you had a great time!
Posted By: RWG Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 04:50 PM
CZ:

Where is the schedule published for these GL Regional SxS shoots? My friends and I use to host SxS shoots in MI, IN and Ohio about 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately, many of those friends are no longer with us. So the GLSXSA is no longer. Good to read that others have taken up the call to host such shoots in the region. Russ
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 06:13 PM
The answer is nowhere.

However,
There is some effort to allow co-marketing at every shoot for later shoots at other clubs.
With caveats real, implied, or imagined.

Shoots that I know of for SxS lovers that occur most years.

Gentleman’s Cup at the Freeland Sportsman’s Club, Freeland, MI. Starts the season for 30 years or so.

Bay County Sportsman’s club has one this year

Lapeer Sportsman Club

Grand Blanc Sportsman’s club

Lansing Sportsman Congress

Cedar Rod and Gun club

The Yooper Shoot

Bald Mountain has one

There’s one by Grand Rapids that is a DU fundraiser

Lewiston allegedly has one this summer

I’m on mailing lists and just pick out the ones that friends are going to, or I’m curious about.

There are probably more, but that’s just off the top of my head this morning.

The clubs do a good job balancing fun, hospitality, and competition.
It’s not easy. I commend the organizers.
Posted By: SKB Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 06:20 PM
The local chapter of the Vintagers made Fox 31 News:

https://kdvr.com/news/outdoor-color...le-and-a-blast-to-shoot-enthusiasts-say/
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 06:34 PM
RWG, in a small way I am trying to continue the old GLSxSA. May 19 at Back Forty Sporting Clays we will have a Memorial Shoot, to remember Erik Koik, Joe Zemitis and Paul Belpasso, and most recently Bob Walter. Breakfast is at 9, squads shotgun start at 9:45. We shoot report pairs and true pairs and this year for fun several stations will throw targets that might be able to taken with 1 shot. You can choose to shoot all true pairs and Go for the Glory, as bonus points are awarded for 2 birds hit with 1 shot. Tables for show and swap are free on first come basis. Small prize for high score in categories, 12 and 16, 20 and 28, 410. Back Forty is outside Bourbon, IN
Posted By: RWG Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 06:52 PM
Nitrah:

Thanks for keeping the Erik, Joe and Paul's memory alive. As you know I was very close with each of them. John Meeker too. I miss our gatherings.
Posted By: RWG Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 06:53 PM
Thanks CZ. I recognize some of those shoots. I need to get myself out to a couple of them this year.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 07:24 PM
Side-by-side shoots are a real prisoner’s dilemma.

Each club wants to help other nearby clubs, but not cannibalize their event.

BM can jump in at any time and ruin some little club’s preparations.

The shooters are mostly retirees and are cost sensitive. They ration their cartridges.
Spring to summer’s end is about 15 weeks. Only so many slots.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 09:13 PM
Sad to learn about Erik, remember him from Shooting Sportsman, way back then! Good shooting folks!
Chief
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/22/24 10:48 PM
Greg,
Unfortunately, Paul Harm has decided not to have the usual SxS event at the Lapeer Sportsman Club this year. A real loss for those who enjoyed it.
Karl
Posted By: Philbert Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/23/24 01:00 AM
The SASSS Facebook site maintains a list of SxS shoots around the country. Great to hear about the huge turnout at the Gentleman's Cup.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/23/24 11:48 AM
https://www.woodsandmeadow.com/side-side
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/23/24 11:55 AM
Woods and Meadow Side by Side Classic
June 27-29, 2024
EVENT DETAILS
The main event is Friday and Saturday and must be shot with a side by side. It includes an 80-target Sporting Clays, 80-target Upland Double Flush, 30-target 5-Stand, and a 30-target Pigeon Ring. Main event is squadded and is limited to 150 people! Lewis class will be available.
Open shooting on Thursday includes a 14-station sporting clays course, a practice 5-stand, and the All Bore course. Any type of gun can be used on Thursday, except if shooting the All Bore course for score.
An additional side event will be available Friday and Saturday, as well as the All Bore course.
Onsite dry camping is available. No reservations are needed. Please look to our website for other lodging options in the area.
The clays course is just over a mile. If you are interested in renting a golf cart, please indicate so on your registration form. Otherwise, you are more than welcome to bring your own golf cart, ATV, or UTV.
Vendors are welcome. We will provide tables in our enclosed shop. If you need a separate tent, please let us know ahead of time.
Hamburgers and brats will be available for purchase during lunch time on Friday and Saturday. Saturday night we will bring in a local food truck that serves brisket and pulled pork. Payment for Saturday dinner should be sent in with your registration.
Visit our website for more information: woodsandmeadow.com
If you have any questions, please call the clubhouse at 608-378-4223 or email: woodsandmeadowclays@gmail.com

Woods and Meadow
N4335 Potter Rd.
Warrens, WI 54666
PRICING
Events
Price
Thursday

Sporting Clays (uses counter system)

Per Target
$0.40
100 Targets
approx. $40
Practice 5-Stand (25 targets)
$10
All Bore (30 targets)
$15
Maker's Challenge??
$15

Friday & Saturday

Main Event (220 targets)
$250
All Bore (30 targets)
$15
Maker's Challenge??
$15
Make-a-Break (24 targets)
$10

Main Event Lewis
$10
Saturday Dinner
$15
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/23/24 11:58 AM
This isn't a SxS event but Back Forty puts on a bunny shoot this weekend and next. To say they are Not your typical rabbit targets is an understatement. The clays themselves might be rabbit clays but they are thrown, rolled dropped in all manner of ways. I normally hate rabbit targets but I went last year and had a blast. He usually draws over 300 shooters over the course of the 2 weekends. It cost $55 and includes lunch.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/23/24 02:59 PM
Just my opinion.
Based on 35 years of SxS shoot attendance.
Every shoot but a couple that cost a shooter more than $100.00 (including shells) will struggle.

In the LP of MI we have many, mostly well attended, that acknowledge the reality that these customers are cost sensitive.
Fuel, cartridges, targets, and then rooms and meals, push the most ambitious shots away from attending.

The TofT shoot (great venue and people) was a perfect example of reaching too far.

I enjoyed shooting there, but I have good ears, and heard avg SxS shooters discussing it (+ and -)for many years after.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/26/24 11:25 AM
The Woods and Meadow SxS Classic above is replacing the long running Duluth Double Gun SxS Classic. The excellent Duluth Double Gun SxS Classic sold out every year to the end. The organizers of the Duluth shoot came down and helped Woods and Meadow with the planning. I shot over there yesterday and the owner said they have about 100 shooters registered so far.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/26/24 02:28 PM
That’s great!
Excellent pre reg

I hope 🤞 Mother Nature cooperates for you.

Make sure you post pics.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Shoots Springing up! - 04/27/24 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
That’s great!
Excellent pre reg

I hope 🤞 Mother Nature cooperates for you.

Make sure you post pics.

We’ll get on over and shoot it with us. Promise you won’t have to wear a cheesehead.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com