doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HMAK Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/13/24 09:00 PM
Was looking for a traditional canvas & leather gun case, without any pockets, not made in China, that was reasonably priced, and had flap and zipped. Looked at Kevin's gun slip but it didn't zip, at least it doesn't say it does, and it's over $400.00. Miss Jeff's and Thomas Ferney no longer has any. But found this from Teales UK, they weren't the quickest shipper but then I didn't need it immediately - took about a week to get here in Virginia.

It arrived beautifully wrapped in a long cardboard box, so no wrinkles or buckled leather unlike the leather Tourbon that I got a while ago. (when I sold my Ceasar Guerini the Tourbon went with it).
It is exactly as pictured on Teales web site. All the leather edges are finished, and the handle is multiple layers of leather with a rolled edge. I love it! Perfect for my Grulla to take to the range!
Hand made in England, NOT CHINA!

Gun case/slip in from Teales UK Leather shooting accessories - https://teales.co.uk/
FROM TEALES WEB SITE:
Forest canvas and brandy leather gun slip with synthetic wool lining designed for guns with barrels up to 30 inches.
This Huntsman gun slip is crafted from cotton canvas and trimmed with thick leather. The fabric is laminated with rubber to provide a robust waterproof coating and is stitched with strong, oiled thread. It will hold all gun sizes up to 30 inches comfortably and securely.
The canvas is cut to our own pattern that gives a straighter leading edge.
The buckles are made of metal. The inner lining is synthetic wool.
The design features a fold over sleeve and buckle for extra gun security as well as a plastic YKK zip that runs the full length of the slip. The gun slip can be personalized on the eye on the tongue, at the top of the slip with up to 5 letters, (max 40mm high). Personalization is included within the price of the slip.
The Huntsman is our workhorse range – quality designs, robust materials – built to last.
Dimensions (external)
Length: 124.5cm (49”), Depth at Stock: 20cm (7 7/8”), Depth at Barrel End: 8cm (31/8”).
To Hold Max Gun Length: 122cm (48”)
Cost $145.00 without shipping (116 British Lbs.) shipping was pricey at $106 (85 British Lbs.)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/13/24 09:24 PM
I read the website. Sorry, it does not anywhere that it is made in England. They use choice words about selection of materials, best craftsmanship, etc, etc. So it sounds like they made it. But from what I can read they do not come out and say hand made in England. Yes, handmade, but never do they they made in England. I see they have a full length all leather gun slip for 165 pounds. That is just to cheap for a full length leather slip. I have great experience importing leather goods direct from England, names like Brady Brothers and Leathercraft. Also both from Emmebi and Caces, Italy. Radar and Esposito from Spain. So, I do not think they are actually making it themselves, the price does not add up for a handmade England case.

John Boyd
Quality Arms

Also imported Tessier. (Forgot about that one)

I could be wrong but based on my dealings with various makers I think I am correct.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/13/24 10:46 PM
New goods imported typically must have a country of origin tag or label on them.
Posted By: HMAK Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/13/24 11:22 PM
arrieta2:
I tend to agree with you, perhaps I am mistaken on made in England, it was my assumption. I will reach out to Teales for an answer! Once I get an answer, I will post it. And this NOT a full leather case!
In no way did I want to convey that this case is on pair with Brady Brothers, Leathercraft or Emmebi, because it is clearly not, but it is clearly better than the Tourbon case that I bought. I was only looking for a case to go from my hard case to a soft to put in my car to go to the range.
canvasback:
Neither the Teales case nor my 30-year-old Bob Allen canvas case has a country of origin able.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/14/24 12:45 AM
Yes

Realizing it’s canvas and less expensive. Using the leather case that they market as a comparison

I spoke to Jeff at Jeff’s Outfitters today about that and he said not possible

John
Quality Arms

The main thing is that I am sure it’s a good value and you are pleased that’s all that counts
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/14/24 07:09 AM
Have a look at Quality Gunslips for good value ,handmade kit ,Been very impressed with their UK value for money.Hth
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/14/24 12:09 PM
Those gun slips are just gorgeous!! And the prices are reasonable, too! Do all of the leather ones have the wool interiors like your's? I assume they would. Thanks.
Posted By: eeb Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/14/24 12:20 PM
In reference to this thread I looked at what Filson offers. For $425 you can have a zippered canvas/leather case with flannel lining for your scoped or unscoped gun. What a deal. The British also know the difference between a rifle and a gun. The hipsters in the Filson marketing department do not.
Posted By: HMAK Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/16/24 08:15 PM
I asked Teales UK to provide me where the gun slip was manufactured, they replied today that it is manufactured in India, with specifications and design from England.
At least it's not China. It's still a nice case at a very reasonable price. Thanks, arrieta2 for questioning where it was made.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/16/24 10:24 PM
Nice looking case. Wonder if it was made by New Delhi gun house. Made all kinds of shooting stuff

If they are still in business

That was a long time ago.

John
Quality Arms
Posted By: damascus Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/17/24 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by canvasback
New goods imported typically must have a country of origin tag or label on them.

In a truly honest world this would be very true. BUT!!! import and export rules are made by Politicians and big business in the EU and Britain so there are more loop holes than a Victorian ladies corset so a label only needs to have the country of origin NOT THE COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE with me so far? Now the slight of hand trick, an item made or manufactured in lets say China then exported to a holding Free Port country for example only Australia then exported again to lets say Germany then imported to the UK so as far as the goods are concerned the last country of origin as far as Britain is concerned it is Germany. So the now you see me now you don't SO as far as Germany is concerned it came from Australia and as for Britain it came from Germany and the made in China label is disappeared if it had one in the first place though usually not. The end game is that the Country of manufacture can slip quietly into the background. An example on this is on e-bay is Chinese import and export companies have offices in Germany and advertise as UK seller. This is only a simple version of how the whole thing works.
Posted By: Kip Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/17/24 02:28 PM
I got a similar slip from British Sporting Arms that was made by Croots in England, it's extremely well made and the materials feel excellent.
Posted By: HMAK Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/17/24 07:24 PM
Jimmy W -
FROM TEALES UK WEB SITE - Forest canvas and brandy leather gun slip with synthetic wool lining.

I would assume that all their cases have this synthetic wool lining, there is no way they could hit these price points using real wool.
Originally Posted by damascus
Originally Posted by canvasback

In a truly honest world this would be very true. BUT!!! import and export rules are made by Politicians and big business in the EU and Britain so there are more loop holes than a Victorian ladies corset so a label only needs to have the country of origin NOT THE COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE with me so far? Now the slight of hand trick, an item made or manufactured in lets say China then exported to a holding Free Port country for example only Australia then exported again to lets say Germany then imported to the UK so as far as the goods are concerned the last country of origin as far as Britain is concerned it is Germany. So the now you see me now you don't SO as far as Germany is concerned it came from Australia and as for Britain it came from Germany and the made in China label is disappeared if it had one in the first place though usually not. The end game is that the Country of manufacture can slip quietly into the background. An example on this is on e-bay is Chinese import and export companies have offices in Germany and advertise as UK seller. This is only a simple version of how the whole thing works.

i think damacus pretty well has the system pegged....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emc1M5F9I-E

best regards,

tom
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/18/24 06:45 PM
If you look at the coots of England website( as one mentioned he got a case from) you can see a tremendous difference in price between on made in England and one made in India. I was not surprised at the get go. Looks like a good value though

John

Arrieta
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/19/24 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by HMAK
Jimmy W -
FROM TEALES UK WEB SITE - Forest canvas and brandy leather gun slip with synthetic wool lining.

I would assume that all their cases have this synthetic wool lining, there is no way they could hit these price points using real wool.

Great! Thanks. They sure look nice!!
Posted By: eeb Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/19/24 11:50 AM
Years ago Lewis Drake sold very nice leather cases that I believe were made in India. I have several and the quality is excellent. I watch for them on eBay but have not seen any for sale for a long time
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/20/24 01:03 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]These are really popular among clay target shooters. They're made by Shamrock Leather in Minnesota. The bags are just under $300.00. The side pouches are around $50-$60.00 a piece. They hold eight boxes of shells in the main bag. The smaller carrier holds 4 boxes of 12 gauge shells.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/20/24 01:05 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] These do have latches to keep them closed. They are just open right now.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 04/20/24 01:06 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] This carries four boxes of 12 gauge if you want to carry something smaller.
Posted By: HMAK Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 05/05/24 08:59 PM
*****UPDATE****
I originally posted this:
Cost $145.00 without shipping (116 British Lbs.) shipping was pricey at $106 (85 British Lbs.)

Actual cost from my American Express bill:
Foreign Spend Amount
3/30/2024 PAYPAL*TEALES SPORT GB 85.00 Pounds Sterling $107.52 - shipping
3/23/2024 PAYPAL*TEALES SPORT GB 116.66 Pounds Sterling $147.31 - Canvas & Leather Slip
total $254.83

I still like it!
Posted By: canvasback Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 05/05/24 09:15 PM
What carrier was used?
Posted By: HMAK Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK - 05/05/24 11:17 PM
Carrier: DHL
DHL is great until they get to the US,
Teales to DHL - 1 day; DHL to US - 1 day; DHL to my house in Virginia 5 days
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com