doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell SUMMER GUNSMITH SCHOOLS/ western US - 02/09/24 05:21 PM
Just wondering if there are any plans for summer gunsmith classes. We were blessed with those when Dennis Potter came all the way from Wisconsin to Trinidad, Co, for some 6-7 years.
Posted By: mark Re: SUMMER GUNSMITH SCHOOLS/ western US - 02/09/24 08:26 PM
Gil, Dennis taught in Tdad for closer to 15 summers. I went for about 12yrs. I think the only one that was in Dennis’s class more than me was Dennis. When Tdad decided to take the classes in a different direction Dennis and a few other top craftsmen taught in Grinell, IA for a few years , last year Grinell pulled the plug. It’s a shame this valuable resource is no longer available.
Posted By: mc Re: SUMMER GUNSMITH SCHOOLS/ western US - 02/10/24 12:48 AM
Is anyone teaching at tishamingo Oklahoma?
Posted By: gil russell Re: SUMMER GUNSMITH SCHOOLS/ western US - 02/10/24 09:27 PM
Mark/ Thanks for your reply. I can't recall the first year I went, but it was Dennis' first year--maybe '04? Guy and Mark Cooper were there I was only there for one week that year--I didn't bring enough stuff for a second week. But I couldn't wait for the next year--I think that was the year I met you. I went a total of 6 years, I think. I had no idea his class continued on well beyond that time frame.
I did do a checkering class and stock making class taught by others, but Dennis' class was the very best, especially in the first years--then it got too big and Dennis was not readily available to answer questions, but what a great guy. Gil
Posted By: SKB Re: SUMMER GUNSMITH SCHOOLS/ western US - 02/11/24 10:24 AM
Dennis is a superb craftsman and teacher. I'm not sure how many years I attended. It was extremely eye opening for me, a completely different approach from what I had been taught previously and much more suited to my own needs. I feel my career path was altered for the better by attending. I doubt I would still be in the business if it were not for those summer classes.

As to current offerings, not long ago James Tucker was offering classes(checkering, maybe more) at Lassen I believe. You will not find a finer stocker in America to than James.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com