doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 02:01 AM
I ran across statement where CSMC is stating opposing double bridge action on their RBL SxS. Either I am having a memory laps or what not. But what is an opposing double bridge action? I did a couple of searches with no good results. Anyone have an idea on what CSMC is referencing?

R/
Rich
Posted By: Kip Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 02:41 AM
[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

It looks like a standard Purdey double underbolt to me (with a healthy dose of marketing buzzwords).
Posted By: Fudd Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 02:56 AM
Good heavens. Those engravings and that case-hardening are an awful combination, to my eye. And the heads of those pins don't even look round.

However, that graceful arc where the action meets the buttstock is just beautiful. A line struck by a carvel-hull boatbuilder.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 03:47 AM
I suspect wordplay, Rich, plain and simple.

Nice engraved barrel wedges.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 09:24 AM
I don’t think that the heads of the pins are meant to be rounded, but finished flush, as they are engraved over - which lays up problems for the first strip and clean.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Stan;

Do you suppose that "opposing double bridge action" is meant to be in the same perception category as "no 3-day inspection period"?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Stan;

Do you suppose that "opposing double bridge action" is meant to be in the same perception category as "no 3-day inspection period"?

ROTFLMAO

I suspect someone in charge of marketing for Tony has been reading Greener. smile
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Parabola
I don’t think that the heads of the pins are meant to be rounded, but finished flush, as they are engraved over - which lays up problems for the first strip and clean.

My thoughts exactly, when I first saw them.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 01:59 PM
If you Google "opposing double bridge action", you get several answers the more you Google it. It says that it is supposed to resemble the Boss or Purdey lock up system. One time I Googled it, it said that the barrels were connected at the breech end, but were separated at the muzzle end.
Posted By: Kutter Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 03:29 PM
That's a Laser engraved pattern. The pins within the engraving pattern meant to be flat. They are engraved with the Laser as part of the pattern all at the same time. Innother words the pins are assembled into the frame at the time of Laser engraving.
Then assembly must be done carefully to line them up so the pattern matches.
If the pin is not flush with the surface it can also detract from the looks.

I have no idea what an opposing double secret bridge action is.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/17/24 11:29 PM
Thank you all for the insight. For some reason I was thinking some new fangled way to lock up our SxS LOL!

Rich
Posted By: Mark II Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/18/24 01:46 AM
Maybe it has something to do with double secret probation?
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/18/24 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Kutter
That's a Laser engraved pattern. The pins within the engraving pattern meant to be flat. They are engraved with the Laser as part of the pattern all at the same time. Innother words the pins are assembled into the frame at the time of Laser engraving.
Then assembly must be done carefully to line them up so the pattern matches.
If the pin is not flush with the surface it can also detract from the looks.

I have no idea what an opposing double secret bridge action is.

i suspect it is a marketing technique - sometimes referred to as...if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullshit....

best regards,

tom
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/18/24 03:37 AM
What seems to be the mystery here? Look at the gun.

Double underlugs without using the name Purdey.

Why, I have no idea.

Unless maybe the 1776 refugees from Long Island to Connecticut are still pissed about the whole thing...
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/18/24 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones

Why, I have no idea.

Unless maybe the 1776 refugees from Long Island to Connecticut are still pissed about the whole thing...
That is what it said when I Googled it. Double underlugs like Purdey and Boss SXSs.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/19/24 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones

Why, I have no idea.

The mystery is ....... what does double OPPOSING underlugs mean. You conveniently left out that part of the OP's description.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/19/24 03:38 AM
Maybe it doesn't refer to the lockup at all. It is a strange name for a feature.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Question on sxs lockup? - 01/19/24 10:44 AM
Bridge is the name given to the part of the action flats beteen the left and right side. Like the horizontal bit of the letter H. Double bridge I am guessing refers to the fact that in this action the bridge is on two levels, one at the flats and one below, under the sliding bolt. Some doubles do not have the top bridge. Just a guess.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com