doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: NominalBore Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 01:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this gun, opinions on quality, etc.? It is choked F/F and will be used for dove hunting, approximately 400 rounds per season. I am an experienced 410 shooter, so I don't need any feedback on the bore.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 01:50 PM
https://doublegunshop.com/merkel_280-360el.htm
Posted By: Parabola Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 01:58 PM
No direct experience (although I think they were the makers of a Manton of Calcutta 8x57JR sxs BLNE I should never have sold).

You are unlikely to have a problem with a Merkel.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 02:21 PM
^^^ 2nd this^^^ Any Merkel should be a reliable, trustworthy gun.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 03:48 PM
I have 3 Merkels, a 12ga., 20, and 280 all ELs. I've had them for nearly 20 years and love them. Absolutely reliable and a delight to own and use.
After all, the boards masthead shows one!
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: tut Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 03:51 PM
They are built strong to last long. My buddy has the 28 gauge and absolutely loves it.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 04:39 PM
I've got just one and only a model 8, but it got me hooked on doubles.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 05:36 PM
Brent,
Still a lovely gun! I'll bet it has accounted for many birds, and that's it's purpose!
Karl
Posted By: aw1776 Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 08:05 PM
So I have a lot of experience with Merkel. I shot one for quite a few years. It’s definitely reliable and solid. The trade-off is they’re big and they’re bulky. They seem clumsy to me after I shot other guns the engraving is simplistic. For lack of a better word cartoonish I believe it’s mechanical engraving and the single trigger was an issue, and I traded it for a double trigger gun, which was fine, but I no longer shoot it as I shoot a smaller lightweight American and English box lock with zero issues and a much more lively and racy gun as opposed to the boxy German it’s just my opinion but I didn’t realize it until I bought some other guns and started hunting with them
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 08:07 PM
NominalBore,
The .410 and 28ga. share the same frame, and the wrist of the stock is diamond shaped. If you could score a .410/28ga. 2 barrel set you would have the best of both worlds!
Karl
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by aw1776
So I have a lot of experience with Merkel. I shot one for quite a few years. It’s definitely reliable and solid. The trade-off is they’re big and they’re bulky. They seem clumsy to me after I shot other guns the engraving is simplistic. For lack of a better word cartoonish I believe it’s mechanical engraving and the single trigger was an issue, and I traded it for a double trigger gun, which was fine, but I no longer shoot it as I shoot a smaller lightweight American and English box lock with zero issues and a much more lively and racy gun as opposed to the boxy German it’s just my opinion but I didn’t realize it until I bought some other guns and started hunting with them

So how much did your 360 EL weigh?
Posted By: aw1776 Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 08:18 PM
I don’t have the ability to weigh it where I am today, but I will be able to do it tomorrow so I’ll give you the weight but not only that it’s seems much more square boxer, lack of a better word, thicker, much less elegant gun and that’s just my opinion From the other Guns I’m currently shooting
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 08:23 PM
aw1776,
My 28 ga. weighs 5 lb. 7 oz. while the 20 ga. and 12 ga. weigh 6 lbs. 2 oz. and 6 1/2 lbs. As far as being bulky, are you talking about to the o/u"s ? My Merkels have 28 " barrels and handle fine for me.
Karl
Posted By: aw1776 Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 10:27 PM
No, I was referring to my 28 gauge Merkel side-by-side but I believe the over and under are even more bulky and odd. They’re certainly, NOT low profile, shallow frame, guns.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/14/24 11:03 PM
If you don't care for your 28 ga. Merkel, you my not like the .410 one. Best to handle one first
Karl
Posted By: Vol423 Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/15/24 04:07 AM
Every Merkel I've ever seen is sturdy, reliable and overweight. Kinda like a workhorse. I like a shotgun that reminds me of an Arabian horse. Light , fast and slender.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/15/24 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Vol423
Every Merkel I've ever seen is sturdy, reliable and overweight. Kinda like a workhorse. I like a shotgun that reminds me of an Arabian horse. Light , fast and slender.

Overweight? Is a 6.5 lb 28," 12 gauge overweight?
Maybe you could put some numbers behind your comments.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/15/24 12:46 PM
I personally think it would be a lovely wand for a smokepole.

I am not a bona fide Merkel fan, but this 12 bore O/U Merkel licensed for the French market below, which some Nimrod removed the rear sling swivel, is a joy to tote & swing. A little much platform for the ole Bobs, but I handle the dogs & typically shoot last & @ distance. But for now it is my go to gun for any of our feathered fowl friends.....

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/16/24 03:53 PM
I have a 20 ga 147e with 26-3/4" barrels that weighs 5lb-14oz. It was a retirement gift from the last company I worked for. It's like new but is a used gun. It kicks the heck out of me with 7/8 oz target loads so I rarely shoot it. It has the same dimensions as my 20 ga Superposed and weighs almost the same but the Super doesn't seem to kick at all. Maybe it's the English style stock and splinter forend of the Merkel that doesn't provide much to hold on to compared to the Super's wood (LTRK). Also, the Merkel is so tight the it's very difficult to open and close. I guess if I shot it enough it would loosen up but I don't think I could tolerate the number of rounds it would require. So the gun just sits in the gun case taking up room.

The gun is built for stout and will certainly last well beyond my lifetime. I know Merkels are quality guns but this one is just not for me.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/16/24 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Schiller
I have a 20 ga 147e with 26-3/4" barrels that weighs 5lb-14oz. It was a retirement gift from the last company I worked for. It's like new but is a used gun. It kicks the heck out of me with 7/8 oz target loads so I rarely shoot it. It has the same dimensions as my 20 ga Superposed and weighs almost the same but the Super doesn't seem to kick at all. Maybe it's the English style stock and splinter forend of the Merkel that doesn't provide much to hold on to compared to the Super's wood (LTRK). Also, the Merkel is so tight the it's very difficult to open and close. I guess if I shot it enough it would loosen up but I don't think I could tolerate the number of rounds it would require. So the gun just sits in the gun case taking up room.

The gun is built for stout and will certainly last well beyond my lifetime. I know Merkels are quality guns but this one is just not for me.

Sounds like a psychological thing. The physics aren't gun dependent.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/16/24 04:49 PM
I just had a chance to buy a really nice 47E a couple months ago. It was like new, cased with all the original accessories and the guy was asking $1999.00. But it was a 12 gauge, so I passed. I have a few too many 12 gauges. I saw a 20 gauge- like new BSS over the weekend, too but for $3295.00 I thought that was a bit high. I'm still looking at those CZs in a shop near here. And I would love to have another Model 21, too.
Posted By: NominalBore Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/17/24 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
NominalBore,
The .410 and 28ga. share the same frame, and the wrist of the stock is diamond shaped. If you could score a .410/28ga. 2 barrel set you would have the best of both worlds!
Karl

I've found a couple but the 410 F/F seems to be a bit elusive at the moment. Most are choked M/F.
Posted By: J O'Neill Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/18/24 12:46 AM
FWIW... I've got a Merkel 360, as well as a 1620EL and 1620C. They are all solid and very tight; break-in takes a very long time. I've also shot a 280EL (part of a 28/.410 set) quite a bit.With all these guns I shoot well (for me), but have to extend the LOP with a strap-on pad and a couple layers of thick carpet backing. Long arms and nose!

My 360 is choked M/F, and my use has been plantation... but very good flying... quail. It is light but well-balanced.

My only real quibble with my Merkels is that the Greener cross bolt that sticks out on the left side of the action when broken is very sharply pointed. Be careful when walking with it broken over your right shoulder or your earlobe will be bleeding!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/18/24 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by J O'Neill
FWIW... I've got a Merkel 360, as well as a 1620EL and 1620C. They are all solid and very tight; break-in takes a very long time. I've also shot a 280EL (part of a 28/.410 set) quite a bit.With all these guns I shoot well (for me), but have to extend the LOP with a strap-on pad and a couple layers of thick carpet backing. Long arms and nose!

My 360 is choked M/F, and my use has been plantation... but very good flying... quail. It is light but well-balanced.

My only real quibble with my Merkels is that the Greener cross bolt that sticks out on the left side of the action when broken is very sharply pointed. Be careful when walking with it broken over your right shoulder or your earlobe will be bleeding!

That right there is a hell of a public service announcement….

Best,
Ted
Posted By: casemaker Re: Merkel 360EL Opinions - 01/22/24 05:04 PM
The Merkel 280 and 360 models (28 / 410) are nice and trim in my opinion, yeah, not as silky trim as a fine English or Italian 28 or 410 but still quite racy. Even the 16s are not bad because several of them are built on 20 bore frames (the 1620 series).

The levels of engraving vary depending on the engraver. I have a catalog from the mid 2000s and all the engravers are pictured in the back along with their years of experience. You can definitely see the difference on the more experience engraved guns.

I enjoy using mine and shoot them well, but truthfully not as well as my Spanish and Italian sidelocks with longer 29" barrels. I feel they are fun to shoot, will last a lifetime, and are a reasonably good investment as they do not cost a fortune to get into. The 28s and 410s sell very quickly on the used market.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com