doublegunshop.com - home
Well after the suggestions given in the original post and from a couple DM’s I gave it the good old college try. I used Speedball Super Black India ink with shellac as it was the best quality available with the highest carbon black content in town. I am going to give it 24 hours to dry and then will give it a light dusting of matte lacquer clear. Once that sets up I’ll give the raised metal a buff.

Thanks everyone for your help.

P

[Linked Image from pixelsbin.com]
Good job, Pete. Just right.
Looks perfect. I like it a lot.
Thank you.
Pete, how did you incorporate the ink into the shellac? I have very little experience with shellac flakes that need to be dissolved in alcohol, but perhaps you used some other formulation.
Oh, mercy. Well done, sir.
I'll say you've done a professional job.....
The speedball super black comes pre mixed with the shellac in it. All I did was drop a clean ball bearing into the bottle to aid with mixing when I shook it.
Was it this?
https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-3940-Professional-Relief-Supergraphic/dp/B06Y5W6MBY/ref=sr_1_10?crid=K7ORFVP7IX5&keywords=speedball%2Bsuper%2Bblack%2Bindia&qid=1704287407&sprefix=%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-10&th=1

There is another Speedball version which they sell to be brushed or used in pens, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-2-Ounce-India-Super-Black/dp/B0007ZJ8TM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=K7ORFVP7IX5&keywords=speedball+super+black+india&qid=1704287407&sprefix=%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-2

Nothing I'm seeing says anything about shellac.
Brent.

I used the second one. On the box it says it contains Shellac.
Originally Posted by pete2528ca
Brent.

I used the second one. On the box it says it contains Shellac.

Thanks for that. I'll order some today.
Made from highly opaque, carbon black pigment, this ink offers excellent reproduction quality on absorbent surfaces with optimum lightfastness. Easily applied by brush, pen, steel brush or airbrush, it's formula is free flowing, non-clogging and waterproof.

Details:
Available in multiple sizes
AP nontoxic
Carbon black pigment
Contains shellac
jump
Nicely done, sir!
Pete,
Outstanding results I'd say!
Karl
I realize $10 delivered is not a major investment in India Ink however do you think it is possible to lamp black (like we use for fitting metal parts) the metal, buffing and then fixing with spray lacquer?
You may want to ask an engraver that question. Would the lamp black stay put when you buff it?
What did you use to buff the metal?
Originally Posted by builder
I realize $10 delivered is not a major investment in India Ink however do you think it is possible to lamp black (like we use for fitting metal parts) the metal, buffing and then fixing with spray lacquer?

You might consider what many engravers use, including me, and that is flat black oil based brush on Rustoleum after cleaning with lacquer thinner. You likely already have it. Pull it on, let dry for about 1/2 hour and rub off excess.
I just happen to have a few spray cans of flat black Rustoleum.
Builder;

I went back and added in my post to oil based use "brush on" Rustoleum flat black, as the spray is too thin typically to use. Try spraying a bit into a plastic cup and dabbing it on with a Q tip and see how it dries.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com