doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Vol423 Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/24/23 10:02 PM
I don't think I've ever encountered proofs marked this way. And the chambers are marked 2-5/8". What time period would they have been applied? Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/C6xSCOi
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/24/23 11:03 PM
Unfortunately low resolution & small image
IF that is 1 1/8 to the R of the NITRO PROOF the marks would 1925-1954 with the (odd) chamber length
Probably just the terrible image but could there be sleeve lines at the arrows?
It looks suspiciously like the flats were polished and old proof marks removed?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Another WR from 1928 also with Westley Richards Special Steel (but a different mark) also with the proof marks on the barrels. Reproof marks are on the flats as expected

Maybe just a WR thing?
Posted By: Parabola Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/24/23 11:04 PM
Assuming it is a Westley Richards (I see the Triangle Trade Mark) T8974 dates from 1925/6.

Can you re-photograph the marks closer to the rib to get a better contrast please?
Posted By: gunman Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/25/23 09:19 AM
For some reason Westley's unlike other Birmingham Makers got the proof house to stamp on the barrel tubes , A hang over to earlier times . Never knew why .
As for sleeving 99.9% sure its all original as -
1 its not marked sleeved .
2 sleeving was under 1954 rules of proof as it was not common practice until the early 60's
3 it would not have been marked up this way with all the trade marks
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/25/23 11:33 PM
None of my 3 westley richards have markings like that. One of them is sleeved, and is marked so on the barrel flats.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/25/23 11:42 PM
1933 2" WR with proof marks on the barrels

1935 2" WR with marks on the flats

Posted By: Sandlapper Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 12:33 AM
I have a heavy proof (1 1/4 oz.) 12 bore Westley Richards deluxe droplock s/n T6569, mfg. in 1916, that has barrel proofs and none on the flats, also, just like Drew's picture, and it is all original. The T prefix guns were export models; possibly that has some bearing on the markings. Sandlapper
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause

Drew, is this one marked "FOR 2" CASE ONLY" on the top of the right barrel or the rib? I'm don't think it is a Skimin and Wood 2" but perhaps I'm mistaken. I think Wesley and Richards made 2" guns later than some of the other makers and probably with their own actions? I recall seeing one or two for sale somewhere that were definitely not S&W actions.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:01 AM
I have a best grade 1928 drop lock with Birmingham proof marks on the barrels. The serial number is standard (no prefix). It is not uncommon for WR guns to have the proof marks on the barrels.

Ken
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Drew Hause

Drew, is this one marked "FOR 2" CASE ONLY" on the top of the right barrel or the rib? I'm don't think it is a Skimin and Wood 2" but perhaps I'm mistaken. I think Wesley and Richards made 2" guns later than some of the other makers and probably with their own actions? I recall seeing one or two for sale somewhere that were definitely not S&W actions.

BrentD,

This my gun and is a best WR boxlock not a Skimin and Wood. It was made for the Maharaja of Alwar.

Ken
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by KDGJ
BrentD,

This my gun and is a best WR boxlock not a Skimin and Wood. It was made for the Maharaja of Alwar.

Ken

I imagine is it quite nice then. Maybe you can post some more pictures and details sometime. But not to distract this thread so early on however.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:26 AM
The gun was ordered with a rubber cheek pad and rubber butt pad. These were replaced with wood inserts. It also has a greener safety. This is the number 1 gun of a pair.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ken
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:48 AM
KDJG - that is spectacular! And a Greener side safety but no cross bolt. Do you have #2 of the pair and is it a near identical twin?
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 01:58 AM
No I don’t have the number 2 gun. It would be interesting to see it turn up, but not holding my breath. The gun has 27” barrels.

Ken
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by KDGJ
No I don’t have the number 2 gun. It would be interesting to see it turn up, but not holding my breath. The gun has 27” barrels.

Ken

In the unlikely event I see it, I'll be sure to let you know. Quite a gun.
Posted By: battle Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 04:14 AM
Ken... Very nice gun!
Posted By: Parabola Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 10:05 AM

A Greener side safety combined with Westley Richards lever work is certainly unusual, but not unheard of.

This J.V. Needham, made by W.W. Greener in the late 1880’s with a first model Facile Princeps action, is an earlier example.

Posted By: Skeeterbd Re: Proofs on barrels instead of flats - 12/26/23 03:49 PM
I own this very ordinary side lock sold by Lyon & Lyon of Calcutta which has proofs on the barrels.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

All the best

Skeeterbd
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com