doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 02:44 AM
what have been your experiences?
Posted By: battle Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 02:48 AM
There are no cons...
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:06 AM
I have two side-by-side 28s. I can carry an entire Skeet round's cartridges to the line in my mouth, as might a chipmunk. No need for a vest. They weigh about as much as Mary Poppins's bumbershoot. The ammunition's more expensive than 12-gauge, though, but I simply eat ramen all winter. They are very small, and I often have to resort to a loupe to find them in their cases. Assembly prior to joining the line requires the assistance of a watchmaker. They often cause other shooters to suspend their disbelief. "Is that some sort of Weirauch?"

Distillation: I'm ambivalent about the 28-gauge.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by battle
There are no cons...

Precisely.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Fudd
I have two side-by-side 28s. I can carry an entire Skeet round's cartridges to the line in my mouth, as might a chipmunk. No need for a vest. They weigh about as much as Mary Poppins's bumbershoot. The ammunition's more expensive than 12-gauge, though, but I simply eat ramen all winter. They are very small, and I often have to resort to a loupe to find them in their cases. Assembly prior to joining the line requires the assistance of a watchmaker. They often cause other shooters to suspend their disbelief. "Is that some sort of Weirauch?"

Distillation: I'm ambivalent about the 28-gauge.

Weirauch?? I have a .22 lr Weirauch target rifle that weighs like 11 lbs. It's not petite.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:16 AM
The sideline pundits are easily confused. Some of them have only read half the brochures. If that.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:27 AM
The sideline pundits are easily confused. Some of them have only read half the brochures. If that.

Perhaps if you actually read the "brochures" you speak of, you possibly would know that Weirauch made target rifles, in addition to air guns. I own one.

Loved your post. Right up until your silly insult.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:49 AM
Oh, I knew, peripherally. Used to coach prone smallbore. It's just a marque that's associated with air rifles, in my immediate geographic circles, if it's known at all. Never seen nor heard of a rimfire Weirauch on a line, hereabouts. My eyes would have boggled like olives. "What the actual... May I please have a look at that???"
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:11 AM
Oh, I knew, peripherally. Used to coach prone smallbore. It's just a marque that's associated with air rifles, in my immediate geographic circles, if it's known at all. Never seen nor heard of a rimfire Weirauch on a line, hereabouts. My eyes would have boggled like olives. "What the actual... May I please have a look at that???"

Sure, here's the first one, it's bad had to go down to the gunsafe dungeons to pull it out. Now, please apologize for your uninformed snide comment.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:17 AM

Sometimes you don't know, what 'cha don't know.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:19 AM

It was my primary smallbore rifle. I've shot smallbore, high power, F-class, etc. Lots of stuff.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:25 AM
I regret that my comment offended you. I was certainly being silly, but I meant no insult.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:34 AM
I regret that my comment offended you. I was certainly being silly, but I meant no insult.

Thanks, I understand. Silly is ok by me! lol

I was really trying to say that I enjoyed your prose on the the 28 bore. The Weirauch thing was simply ancillary,
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:54 AM
Merci. Peace.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:13 AM
Well, the Weirauch is a bit of firearms curiosa, to be sure. Even the experts stumble on that one.
I think I bought it from champions choice, circa ~1992
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 06:38 AM
I am sure that the original poster, ed, was asking about the 28 as a SXS or O/U hunting gun. I have never owned a 28 gauge an I know they would be light and comfortable to hunt with. The only con I could think of is if you would get into competitive clay shooting. Skeet- you could do ok, but some of the other events might be a little bit difficult with a 28. I would prefer to have as much power as possible.......That said maybe one day I'll run across a 28 that suits me and give it a try. Next season my Springer Spaniel will be 2 years old and I will probably give her a chance to be out in the field. My 12 gauge 21 got to be a little heavy this year, so a nice 28 just might be the trick. Glad I listen to you guys. I learn a lot. Thanks.
Posted By: ed good Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 08:21 AM
can a 28 ga throwing 3/4 oz of shot kill a wild dakota cock bird as cleanly and quickly as does a 12 ga throwing 1 1/8 oz shot?
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 01:11 PM
It sure can. In the hands of someone that can hit stuff, at least. (not me!) I use my Side by side and O/U 28 bore's to hunt waterfowl, I have killed geese on occasion. Just watched my son kill a mallard cleanly with one shot a couple days ago, with his red label 28. (Kent Bismuth)
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 01:25 PM
Red Label!! Its a shame they didn't keep making those. I have seen a few Gold Labels recently in really nice shape that I would love to have, but a $5000.00 price tag is a bit steep for me. Glad to hear that your son does so well with his, Bob. Good luck!!
Posted By: campero Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 01:58 PM
Es mi calibre preferido desde hace muchos años. Cuando lo descubrí, pensaba que era un calibre menor. Cuando uno se inicia con este calibre atraviesa momentos de gran satisfacción y decepciones por no cazar o tirar con calibres mayores. Se fallan piezas que uno piensa que podría haber cobrado con el 20 o el 12, pero la clave es que hay que conocer este calibre, sus bondades y limitaciones. Hasta hoy he tenido seis escopetas del calibre 28: paralelas, yuxtapuestas y semiautomáticas. Ahora tengo mi compañera de por vida: una monotiro de martillo muy especial del siglo XIX.

Una vez se atraviesa la primera etapa con este calibre, cuando uno pasa de un calibre mayor a este delicioso calibre y en la que todavía no se conoce bien, llegan los días de caza y disfrute. Cada lance es un reto mayor; cada pieza cobrada se valora mucho más y, al final, lo que importa es la calidad y no la calidad. Es un calibre que considero hermano menor del calibre 16 por su contundencia y gran pegada, aun con menos gramos de perdigones.

VENTAJAS: Los cartuchos pesan menos, las escopetas suelen pesar menos que las de calibres mayores, los lances y las piezas cobradas se valoran mucho más y el disfrute cazando y rompiendo platos es, para los enamorados de este calibre, mucho mayor. Además, hay una gran variedad de modelos de cartuchos.

INCONVENIENTES: El precio de los cartuchos, aunque ahora en España el precio de otros calibres mayores se ha disparado.

PD: Siento no haber sabido escribir todo esto en inglés.

PD2: ¡Viva el calibre 28!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by campero
It's been my favorite caliber for many years. When I discovered it, I thought it was a smaller caliber. When you start with this caliber, you go through moments of great satisfaction and disappointment for not hunting or shooting with larger calibers. Pieces that you think you could have charged with the 20 or 12 are missing, but the key is that you have to know this caliber, its benefits and limitations. So far I've owned six 28-gauge shotguns: parallel, juxtaposed, and semi-automatic. Now I have my companion for life: a very special hammer shot from the 19th century.

Once you go through the first stage with this caliber, when you go from a larger caliber to this delicious caliber and in which you still don't know it well, the days of hunting and enjoyment arrive. Every cast is a bigger challenge; Each piece charged is valued much more and, in the end, what matters is the quality and not the quality. It is a caliber that I consider the younger brother of the 16 caliber because of its forcefulness and great punch, even with fewer grams of pellets.

ADVANTAGES: The cartridges weigh less, shotguns usually weigh less than those of larger calibers, the casts and the pieces charged are much more valued and the enjoyment of hunting and breaking targets is, for lovers of this caliber, much greater. In addition, there is a wide variety of cartridge models.

DRAWBACKS: The price of cartridges, although now in Spain the price of other larger calibers has skyrocketed.

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't know how to write all this in English.

P.S. 2: Long live the 28 caliber!

I hope the translation is about right. You sound a lot like Bill Hannus when he was trying to convince me to hunt pheasants with a 28 gauge. I've never tried it. I'm sure it works for those that are very good shots and very patient to wait for the best opportunities. But I feel more comfortable with more lead in the air.

Maybe someday, I'll take the plunge. Until then, I'll admire the enthusiasm of the 28 gauge guys.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 02:30 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6 lbs even with either 28 inchers and a BTFE of 30 inchers and a SFE
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 03:24 PM

My affordable solution to the 28-gauge question, a Turkish "Dickenson" (their 28-gauge version on the .410 frame). Not a "fine" gun but decent-enough just the same and a good introduction to the gauge for me. I have a now-older buddy that uses it when he flys up to visit me in the North Country in October and he simply loves it. At 14 3/4 LOP, 28-inch tubes and 5 1/4 lbs it fits most adult males and the shells look more-like .410s than 20s. A pocket-full of them weigh almost nothing and should carry you all through a full day of hunting. I had to have the heavy triggers lightened (by their service rep who balked a bit at the weights I wanted) and I then had to add some oil to the original finish (which was pretty thin) but otherwise, it's quite serviceable now. This one even has .410 tubes (which I've yet to really use.)

Upon delivery...

When a 6-lb gun becomes too-much for me...
Posted By: Researcher Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 04:46 PM
The 28-gauge is way cool and I love them. In reality if they are as light as they should be they are hard to shoot effectively. If they are heavy enough to shoot effectively they might as well be a 16- or 20-gauge. In my small receiver Model 12s my 28-gauge is a couple ounces heavier than my 16-gauge.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Red Label!! Its a shame they didn't keep making those. I have seen a few Gold Labels recently in really nice shape that I would love to have, but a $5000.00 price tag is a bit steep for me. Glad to hear that your son does so well with his, Bob. Good luck!!

Yeah, it's a nice red label with english straight stock. I handed it down to him from my pop. I have never held a gold label, I would love to have one. 5K is what they go for?? That's unreal. Lots of nice english, spanish and italian gun can be had for that kind of coin. I'll pass.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
My affordable solution to the 28-gauge question, a Turkish "Dickenson" (their 28-gauge version on the .410 frame). Not a "fine" gun but decent-enough just the same and a good introduction to the gauge for me. I have a now-older buddy that uses it when he flys up to visit me in the North Country in October and he simply loves it. At 14 3/4 LOP, 28-inch tubes and 5 1/4 lbs it fits most adult males and the shells look more-like .410s than 20s. A pocket-full of them weigh almost nothing and should carry you all through a full day of hunting. I had to have the heavy triggers lightened (by their service rep who balked a bit at the weights I wanted) and I then had to add some oil to the original finish (which was pretty thin) but otherwise, it's quite serviceable now. This one even has .410 tubes (which I've yet to really use.)

Upon delivery...

When a 6-lb gun becomes too-much for me...

I have one of those Dickinson's. They are not bad, I have no fear of carting mine to the duckblind. It folds pheasants, quail and doves just fine. No ducks around right now to test it on. It's like 5.4lbs.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:12 PM
I also have a 28 gauge Franchi autoloader. Don't use it much. Nowadays, you can even get a 28 in the 3 inch chamber, if you like. Never shot one yet.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:17 PM
Researcher: For me, the solution to "whippy" lighter guns is longer barrels. I'd like my little Dickenson even better if it had 30-inch barrels. I'd guess that in any lighter gun, no-matter the gauge, longer barrels will help that.
Posted By: campero Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by campero
It's been my favorite caliber for many years [...]

I hope the translation is about right. You sound a lot like Bill Hannus when he was trying to convince me to hunt pheasants with a 28 gauge. I've never tried it. I'm sure it works for those that are very good shots and very patient to wait for the best opportunities. But I feel more comfortable with more lead in the air.

Maybe someday, I'll take the plunge. Until then, I'll admire the enthusiasm of the 28 gauge guys.

More or less grin Thanks for the translation and sorry for my bad english.

I don´t know who is Bill Hannus, but I´m sure you´ll enjoy a lot if you will try this surprising gauge.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 06:00 PM
Here's my Dickinson

Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash

Nice. What make is that? my eyes stink.
Posted By: GLS Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 06:03 PM
Other than the weight for all day carry in the woods for woodcock and quail, the cost effectiveness of reloading it separates it from larger gauges. Gil
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by DropLockBob
Originally Posted by Bob Cash

Nice. What make is that? my eyes stink.

Looks to me like a CSMC Fox 'cause Ansley never made a 28.
I was skeet shooting once a week for some time using a 20 ga. Winchester 101 with 26" barrels that I bought in Germany and sent home. When I got married my wife wanted to shoot also but the 20 gauge reoil was hard on her. For Christmas in 1970 or '71 I bought her a Beretta BL-4 28 ga with 26" barrels, this had some recoil also and after she didn't enjoy shooting it or shooting at all. The Beretta weighed 6 lbs.8 ozs. and the Winchester was 6 lbs. 1 oz. I still own both but haven't shot the Winchester in quite a few years, the Beretta about 5 years ago at skeet.
I hurt my right shoulder years ago and was shooting different L.C. Smith's, mostly old hammer guns and I started loading 3/4 oz. loads, what a pleasure to shoot hardly any felt recoil and as the saying goes "if I do my part they will do theirs". Carrying in the field I would rather carry the Beretta or the Winchester for the amount of shooting that is done and miles walked, but I do like the one hammer gun in particular that now has the original 25 3/16" barrels and 4 others that now fit this gun. The latest set is from a Specialty Grade 32" with a ventilated rib and screw in chokes.
There is nothing magical about the 28 ga. Years ago I killed more than my fair share of pen raised pheasants most of which you have to wait for them to get out there.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/19/23 11:28 PM
On the topic of 28-gauge weight... My newest one weighs a touch under 5 lbs 7 ozs. Shooting four rounds of Trap with it Saturday was definitely not a recoil-flavored event, not with 3/4-ounce #8 Skeet loads. Except...

There were a couple of shots in my last two rounds where the launcher pitched the pigeon high and way off to my right. (I shoot right-handed.) I clearly remember being surprised when my shoulder got firmly thumped when I went after those, after a couple-three boxes of what had seemed like shooting a .22LR biathlon rifle standing, unsupported. I'm guessing I let the buttplate come off my shoulder a bit. I also sense that shooting this thing repeatedly at porcelain penguins would be a markedly different experience were its weight somehow magically-reduced to under 5 lbs. Physics wins most arguments.
My only 28 gauge. I’ll shoot it more, someday, when I’m old.

Best,
Ted

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: John Roberts Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 12:27 AM
The 28 gauge is for relief of boredom. A 20 ga. with 3/4 Oz. loads neutralizes any need for a 28 ga. Yes, it's a hair smaller across the breech face, and yes, the shells are a wee bit smaller in the pocket. Nothing really worth much. There are some really slim and trim 20 gauge guns that will match a 28 gauge's handling qualities. Otherwise, it's just a boutique gauge with guns to match. It serves no other practical purpose. But since when does practicality matter to anyone who wants a 28 gauge?
JR
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 12:28 AM
Mister Schefelbein, there are things sticking out of it when it's open! Please wear Kevlar gloves and eye-protection! Keep your nails trimmed!

It must cost you a fortune in high-pressure grease. Nothing but flats, for all the eye can see.

(I've never handled or even seen a Darne on a table, but I'd love to someday. And I'd be delighted to start with that one. What an interesting, lovely piece of kit.)
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
The 28 gauge is for relief of boredom.... But since when does practicality matter to anyone who wants a 28 gauge?
JR

Interesting perspective.

I've never even fired a shot out of a 20-gauge. Have never wanted to. I have a quartet of wildly-dissimilar 12s and and a brace of 28s. Extremes of commercially-available, practical practicality. And that's why I have them.

Not bored. Interested in the differences? Yes.
Ed,

I use my aya#1 28 on grouse, quail, woodcock and shot some released pheasants. I use my Rizzini o/u 28 on hairs, ptarmigan and a few grouse. I have a new Beretta A400 upland auto, I used for the first time this year on ducks and honkers.

If you're on your game the 28 kills just as good as your 20 or 12.

I was using boss 3/4 oz of 4s through the beretta. 1 goose, 3 wood ducks and 1 green wing. Pass shooting between the ponds.

For all the other birds, 8 or 7.5 shot AA loads. Doves I have been running RTS 9s. Pheasant I believe I was using 6s.

I'll be running some TSS patterns to see how the beretta throws a pattern for this years Turkey season.

RJM
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 01:01 AM
My only 28 is a FAIR Verona O/U that is part of a 28/.410 set. I bought it with the intention of using it for sub-gauge events at NSCA sporting tournaments. It has served well in that regard but I have found that it is a wonderful quail gun. It's 30" barrels are no hindrance at all to quick, covey-rise shooting, and it has become my second favorite quail/woodcock gun, with 3/4 ounce loads.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
..lit has become my second favorite quail/woodcock gun, with 3/4 ounce loads.

Yes, but, what's your favorite. Mister Hillis? Because this could be interesting.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 01:20 AM
One Pro about the 28-gauge, when it's been properly executed, is that I can hang around shooting clay targets, waiting my turn, with the shotgun broken, draped, hanging in my hand, balanced near the hinge. I don't have to rest the muzzle on my toe. I don't have to place its weight over my shoulder. I can just hold the thing at my side. And wait. No hardship.

Weighs less than some steakhouse Yukon Gold potatoes, or at least it seems like it does.
Originally Posted by John Roberts
The 28 gauge is for relief of boredom. A 20 ga. with 3/4 Oz. loads neutralizes any need for a 28 ga. Yes, it's a hair smaller across the breech face, and yes, the shells are a wee bit smaller in the pocket. Nothing really worth much. There are some really slim and trim 20 gauge guns that will match a 28 gauge's handling qualities. Otherwise, it's just a boutique gauge with guns to match. It serves no other practical purpose. But since when does practicality matter to anyone who wants a 28 gauge?
JR

My 20 gauge Darne V19 actually weighed less than my 28 gauge V19. Seems like the wall thickness is thicker on the 28.

Wasn’t it ChuckH who said that once you drive past a Kentucky Fried Chicken any notion of practicality in this entire endeavor is out the window?

I haven’t hunted the 28 I own, just took it out and missed a few clay birds with it.

Demanding little mistress.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
..lit has become my second favorite quail/woodcock gun, with 3/4 ounce loads.

Yes, but, what's your favorite. Mister Hillis? Because this could be interesting.

My favorite is a A H Fox 20 ga. Sterlingworth Ejector with 28" barrels. I had Dean Harris open the chambers to 2 3/4", and also opened the chokes to .006" R and .016" L. It fits like a glove. I pondered the choke constriction for awhile before deciding on those, and have been well pleased with the choice.

Regarding weight ....... I do not need a bird (quail/woodcock) gun any lighter than it is. I have some lighter, but I shoot the Sterly 20 better than the ultralight ones.
Posted By: GLS Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 12:44 PM
Surprisingly (at least to me) a box of 7/8 oz. 20 ga. Federals weighs only 4.2 oz. more than a box of 28 ga. 3/4 oz. AA's. I would have guessed the difference to be significantly more. Most of the weight difference is obviously in lead (3.125 oz.) Gil
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 01:35 PM
I added a couple 28 gauge Rizzini SxS variants to the herd in the last couple-three years. I’ve only hunted one of them for a few days out west and it didn’t disappoint, and they sure are fun at the range. I beat the brush for good hulls and a used MEC Grabber so I plan on shooting a lot of 28 gauge from here on out. I’ll pass on eating the KFC.
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 02:16 PM
When I’m required to shoot a 28 ga, it’s usually thru tubes in my 32” SC gun. Light it ain’t. But it has served me well on 28 ga. FITASC events. Good enough for me.
Posted By: Mills Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 06:08 PM
28 and 16 are my two favorite upland gauges.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 06:33 PM
I'm with you Mills and have even left my 16's home more often than not, but I've gotta say I have a couple of Parker 20's I like a lot more now that I load my own and don't need to worry if my shells have enough oomph to operate the action. I have sold a few 28's but still have a few or at least enough to choose from for a particular outing.

I only use my 12's and 10's these days for turkey hunting... about once-a-year I'll shoot trap with my 12's.
Posted By: battle Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 07:20 PM
One of my little 28 bores. MacNaughton round action. Weight is 4-9oz.

Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 07:33 PM

That's a nice'un! Wanna sell it? 2 1/2 chambers, I presume?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 08:25 PM
Sneak peak into the future. 28 gauge Superposed.
Just weeks away from breaking birds.
No downside that I can tell.

Posted By: battle Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 08:41 PM

Well if I did, I’d need a bunch. I do have this new in box & cased AYA no2 28 I would sell.

Posted By: ed good Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 08:50 PM
it has become apparent, that one of the pros of 28 ga guns is that they possess some sort of magic...
Posted By: ed good Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 08:58 PM
any interest in this?

A CUSTOM MADE 28 GAUGE SXS SHOTGUN THAT IS A REPRODUCTION OF THE ITHACA NID MODEL, AS MADE IN THE LATE 1930'S. IT WAS CREATED FROM AN ITHACA CLASSIC DOUBLES PARTS KIT, PLUS ADDITIONAL PARTS CUSTOM MADE AS REQUIRED... THE 28" BARRELS ARE NOT YET CHOKED. THE BORES REQUIRE FINAL HONING TO THE DEGREE OF CHOKE DESIRED. THE MORE THE BARRELS ARE HONED THE LIGHTER THE GUN WILL BECOME...THIS UNIQUE GUN IS EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC EJECTORS AND DOUBLE TRIGGERS. THE LENGTH OF PULL IS 14 5/8" WITH A 2 5/8" DROP AT HEAL... DUE TO ITS EXTRA HEAVY BARRELS, THIS GUN PRESENTLY WEIGHS 8 POUNDS. THIS CAUSES THE BALANCE OF THE GUN TO BE FORWARD OF THE HINGE PIN, WHICH RESULTS IN A WONDERFULLY SWINGING GUN ON THE SKEET RANGE; PLUS IT IS A VERY EFFECTIVE RELEASED PHEASANT SHOOTING GUN WHEN LOADED WITH HEAVY ONE OUNCE SHELLS...INITIAL ASSEMBLY AND FINISH WORK WAS PERFORMED BY NEW HAMPSHIRE GUNSMITH ED LANDER, WITH FINAL FITTING BY VIRGINIA GUNSMITH GUNTER PFROMMER. FIELD GRADE NID ENGRAVING BY ADAMS AND ADAMS OF VERMONT. CASE HARDENING BY TURNBULL RESTORATIONS OF NEW YORK...
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 09:11 PM
Always liked those 28ga MacNaughtons!
This one is for sale on GI. Odd stock dimensions though.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...round-body-28-gauge.cfm?gun_id=102517672
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 09:23 PM

Well if I did, I’d need a bunch.

No doubt. That's a heck of a beautiful gun and at that weight, I bet it is fun to shoot.

What's going on in the piercing in the top lever?
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 10:16 PM

Skeletonized. Like drilled accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals in a race car. "Add lightness."
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 10:25 PM

Skeletonized. Like drilled accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals in a race car. "Add lightness."

Yes, I realized that.

However, there is a tang bolt going down to the trigger bar, but what is the second bolt head behind it?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 10:45 PM
Or….its skeletonized so you can view the Crystal window for the cocking indicators.
The lever is unusually long as well, necessary because the action is cocked by the lever.
Posted By: Fudd Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/20/23 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Or….its skeletonized so you can view the Crystal window for the cocking indicators.
The lever is unusually long as well, necessary because the action is cocked by the lever.

Crystal window? Okay. I'd had no idea what I was looking at. Figured it was a trick of the light. Reflections.
Posted By: DropLockBob Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/21/23 12:26 AM

Well if I did, I’d need a bunch. I do have this new in box & cased AYA no2 28 I would sell.

Aya's are nice guns. I'm tempted, but I already have one in .410. I'm kinda in english shotgun mode at the moment. Love that MacNaughton.
Posted By: keith Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/21/23 03:03 AM

Yes, I realized that.

However, there is a tang bolt going down to the trigger bar, but what is the second bolt head behind it?

Most knowledgeable gun guys call those things screws, not bolts. The English call them pins... but certainly not bolts. When we see a round headed fastener with a screw slot, we don't call it a "bolt head". They are tightened or loosened with screwdrivers (or turnscrews). The average housewife might call them bolts, or even nails. And we would be mildly amused.

The Nutty Professor, who gets all picky about Ted referring to his carelessly blown up Rock Island built Springfield Model of 1903 rifle as a "Springfield", ought to be more precise with common gun terminology. How can someone who thinks he is so smart and superior be such a total doofus on a regular basis?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/21/23 03:55 PM
I have a Rizzini Iside sxs in 28ga, a browning BPS pump, and an old Savage 220 single shot in 28ga. I've developed a recoil problem in my old age and the 28's may be the future of my shooting. Do they make 28ga TSS turkey shells?...Geo
Posted By: ed good Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/21/23 05:03 PM
Posted By: GLS Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/21/23 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I have a Rizzini Iside sxs in 28ga, a browning BPS pump, and an old Savage 220 single shot in 28ga. I've developed a recoil problem in my old age and the 28's may be the future of my shooting. Do they make 28ga TSS turkey shells?...Geo
. Yes. Foxtrot and a few other boutique concerns make them. Now is the time to find them
There is a 1 oz. 20 ga. Load that is pretty good. We'll talk about that one. Physics control both actual and felt recoil. Gun weight, velocity and ejecta mass govern recoil regardless of gauge. The 1 oz load in #9 tss is all you need in your single shot 20. Gil
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/22/23 01:48 AM
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I took a 28 gauge Rizzini to northern Iowa today. I haven't had the gun very long and this is the result of my 3rd shot. The first opportunity was a real close one and I missed with both barrels. Ugh! I berated myself for a while for taking an unfired gun, let alone a 28 gauge. We then had some wild flushes that were in the next area code. Finally Zeb worked a runner out of a frozen grassy creek and ended up pointing it in an adjacent CRP type field and this time I didn't miss. I used the modified and improved modified tubes and in the end plain old IC/Mod would have been fine for the shots were close. I've taken plenty of pheasants this year so I was prepared to forgo the long shots.The load was the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz 6's.

Pros: The 28 was a delight to carry.

Cons: None today!
Posted By: Beccaccia28 Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/23/23 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by DoubleTake
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I took a 28 gauge Rizzini to northern Iowa today. I haven't had the gun very long and this is the result of my 3rd shot. The first opportunity was a real close one and I missed with both barrels. Ugh! I berated myself for a while for taking an unfired gun, let alone a 28 gauge. We then had some wild flushes that were in the next area code. Finally Zeb worked a runner out of a frozen grassy creek and ended up pointing it in an adjacent CRP type field and this time I didn't miss. I used the modified and improved modified tubes and in the end plain old IC/Mod would have been fine for the shots were close. I've taken plenty of pheasants this year so I was prepared to forgo the long shots.The load was the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz 6's.

Pros: The 28 was a delight to carry.

Cons: None today!

Looks like a BR550 Round Body. I have one in 28ga and 32ga. Nice gun for woodcock and grouse.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/23/23 06:19 PM
That it is!
Posted By: ed good Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/23/23 11:57 PM
love the look of pure joy on your doggies face...

an with his tongue full out, he is taking in every delicious areomatic morsel...
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: the pros an cons of 28 ga guns... - 12/24/23 12:12 AM
Thanks, Ed. He’s giving me a bit of the look for making him stand still. He’s a good boy.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com